Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 19 Jan 13 12:33pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Mutton /winter

Winter is here, Hogget and Mutton are on the menu. I have just bagged a shoulder and some Kidneys.
This is from my favourite farmer and market. Black Welsh Mountain, off Dartmoor, what a result, my last mutton made an amazing Tagine. Looking forward to devilled kidneys on toast, perhaps.
Any kidney ideas welcome. They were only a pound, they will make two hearty lunches, or breakfasts.
Our farmers are out in all weathers, letís support them. Seek out the good ones.
Also pheasant is still around, I pay £5:99 a brace as no one has been shooting, all too busy. Thatís still cheaper than chicken 10 times healthier and tastier. Work with nature and the seasons, you will be rewarded.

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Mon 21 Jan 13 11:36pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 19 Jan 13 12:42pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Mutton /winter

By co-incidence I was just watching Saturday kitchen with James Martin...

Shoulder of Lamb madras recipe looks to die for...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lamb_ … mbay_09160

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 19 Jan 13 2:11pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Hell's bells wine-o, that's the part of the programme I missed (visitor).  Thanks for the link though.  Haven't got a lot of those ingredients and think I'd have to clear another cupboard to house all those plus the ones I have.  It looks delicious.  Seriously considering topping myself to try it  yummy

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 19 Jan 13 2:36pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

The potato looked really good and I know that my family enjoy lamb or mutton cooked like they did on the show.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 19 Jan 13 4:51pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Thistledo wrote:

Hell's bells wine-o, that's the part of the programme I missed (visitor).  Thanks for the link though.  Haven't got a lot of those ingredients and think I'd have to clear another cupboard to house all those plus the ones I have.  It looks delicious.  Seriously considering topping myself to try it  yummy

Cheat and use schwartz madras ground spices...

Which is exactly what I'll be doing this evening... whistle

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 21 Jan 13 12:20am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

wine~o wrote:

Using Mutton , would be good as the stronger flavour would match the spices.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 21 Jan 13 1:58am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Oh I wish supermarkets would sell mutton.  Would dearly love to give it a go.  Can't get out these days so I'm lumbered.  Boo hoo  sad

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 21 Jan 13 9:50am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

@nGoose1 wrote:

wine~o wrote:

Using Mutton , would be good as the stronger flavour would match the spices.

goat would be even better. Apparantly in India  mutton curry is more often than not made with goat.     

google this phrase mutton in india  goat

I have sub'd goat into peter's lamb curry recipe from  the Naked Chef Takes Off and it is fantastic.    yummy

Last edited by Ashen (Mon 21 Jan 13 9:50am)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#9 Mon 21 Jan 13 5:54pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Thistledo wrote:

Oh I wish supermarkets would sell mutton.  Would dearly love to give it a go.  Can't get out these days so I'm lumbered.  Boo hoo  sad

If can get mutton very easily Thistledo , it comes from the Halal butchery departments that are often found many of  the local Aisian ( Indian/Pakistan/Bangladesh ) shops here in Cardiff, I have found that the meat is usually well trimmed and of good quality.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 22 Jan 13 12:12am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

Mail order, there are some good places in Wales for Mutton/Lamb, not as good as Dartmoor, but hey you canít have it all.
Curried Goat, yum, yum. Must be on the bone though. I put this idea to our nearest Caribbean outlet, they agreed, after trying it off the bone once; they deemed the idea a failure, as did most of her regular customers. I also had a similar discussion with an Indian take away; their home cooked food was mostly cooked and served on the bone. The take away food was served off the bone and mostly breast meat, sad.
Mutton can be good value, if itís a ewe thatís too knackered to give any more lambs.
Castrated Wethers, that have been bred primarily for meat can be expensive, especially if they are older, up to 7 years. Not often you see this.  This is the best though.
Trying different breeds of sheep is really cool. We have some amazing breeds in the UK. I suggest British people tap in to this heritage. The Rare breedís society is a great place to start. https://www.rbst.org.uk/
We have Jacobs, Dorsetís and Welsh Blacks, where I work and live. There are I am sure many more in the region. Silfield on borough market London is doing amazing work with Cumbrian rare breed pigs. Farmer Sharpe is a legend for Herdwick lamb/mutton among other things, should you ever meet him consider yourself honoured.
Also http://www.muttonrenaissance.org.uk/is to be viewed as ĎHRH the Prince of Walesí is at the head of it.
Much as I like goat, I know little about it.

Likes (0)