Re: Ask me a cooking question

Is there a recipe online for the chicken pie?  big_smile  big_smile

Likes (0)

#762 Mon 21 Jan 13 4:55am

henry.wong.148

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

Hi Jamie,

Meat desserts sounds interesting, for example bacon pudding or beef pudding or something like that. The thing is I don't know if they will taste good. Have you tried making these? Do you have recipes for them?

Henry

Likes (0)

#763 Wed 23 Jan 13 9:56am

B3CK4

Member since Wed 23 Jan 13

I'm trying to branch out in my cooking skills and meals that I make.  I had a really nice Chicken Parmigiana when I was in Sydney and want to try make it at home.  Any ideas on which is the best recipe for me to use for a first time??

Thanks heaps!!

Likes (0)

#764 Wed 23 Jan 13 10:25am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Roman, that very recipe is Recipe of the Day on this site.  It's your lucky day.

Just realised my mistake.  Chicken & leek pie is on Delia's site.  So sorry about that.

Last edited by Thistledo (Wed 23 Jan 13 10:28am)

Likes (0)

#765 Wed 23 Jan 13 5:10pm

Jamie's Food Team

henry.wong.148 wrote:

Hi Jamie,

Meat desserts sounds interesting, for example bacon pudding or beef pudding or something like that. The thing is I don't know if they will taste good. Have you tried making these? Do you have recipes for them?

Henry

Do you mean traditional meat puddings from the UK? If so, pudding doesn't always relate to 'sweet' dishes. We have many meat based puddings, which are usually encased in a robust suet pastry and are very traditionally British – think of things such as steak and kidney puddings, pork pies. They are hearty slow cooked meals, usually served with gravy and potato.

If you want to have a go at a traditional pie, Jamie's Scrumptious steak & stout pie is a great place to start!

Otherwise I think a sweet pudding with meat in it may be a little bit odd!

Likes (0)

#766 Wed 23 Jan 13 5:32pm

Thistledo

Jamie, there's a very tasty bacon and sage pudding where the pastry is made up of flour and suet.  Lovely served with a light cheese sauce.  It resembles a roly poly.

Likes (0)

#767 Thu 24 Jan 13 6:30am

henry.wong.148

Jamie's Food Team wrote:

henry.wong.148 wrote:

Hi Jamie,

Henry

Do you mean traditional meat puddings from the UK? If so, pudding doesn't always relate to 'sweet' dishes. We have many meat based puddings, which are usually encased in a robust suet pastry and are very traditionally British – think of things such as steak and kidney puddings, pork pies. They are hearty slow cooked meals, usually served with gravy and potato.

If you want to have a go at a traditional pie, Jamie's Scrumptious steak & stout pie is a great place to start!

Otherwise I think a sweet pudding with meat in it may be a little bit odd!

Actually both. What about meat on egg puddings? Is there any recipe for bacon soufflé or bacon ice cream?

Likes (0)

#768 Thu 24 Jan 13 6:32am

henry.wong.148

Thistledo wrote:

Jamie, there's a very tasty bacon and sage pudding where the pastry is made up of flour and suet.  Lovely served with a light cheese sauce.  It resembles a roly poly.

Hi Thistledo
That sounds interesting. Do you have a recipe for that? Would love to try that out.

Likes (0)

#769 Thu 24 Jan 13 11:42am

Thistledo

How did I know you were going to ask me that Henry  big_smile
I can't help with quantities as it's been years since I made one.  Half suet to flour, (I put a good pinch of powdered mustard in this) and mix with minimal amount of water.  Roll to a rectangle.  You'll need to judge what pan you'll be boiling it in as to the size of the rectangle.  Chopped back bacon (or lean) spread over the pastry then chopped sage.  Small amount of white or black pepper.  Roll up carfefully, damping one of end of the narrowest part of the pastry.  Roll from the other end.  Gently squeeze in each end to seal.  Wrap in greaseproof paper or baking parchment, then wrap in a pudding cloth.  Tie a couple of times, not too tightly.  Boil for about an hour.  Very tasty and if there's any leftover, fry slices for tomorrow.  Serve with a cheese, or parsley sauce.
Feeling I need to make one now  yummy

Likes (0)

#770 Fri 25 Jan 13 1:52am

roconjaz

Member since Fri 25 Jan 13

hello jamie

wonder if u make sourdough i like spelt and rye but never really turns out like bought sourdough .............if so can u do a how to.

thanks wendy

Likes (0)