forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 22 Jan 13 11:09pm

LouiseFisher1

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

What to eat at breakfast?

Breakfast is one of the most important meal of the day, yet still I don't pay much attention to it.  A quick bowl of cereal and cuppa is me done! I think I need to spice breakfast up smile

Any ideas?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 22 Jan 13 11:40pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: What to eat at breakfast?

welcome to the forum Louise  smile

Here in Wales the ground is covered in snow, on chilly mornings my darling usually make porridge .
We have a double saucepan and in the evening he gets the porrige ready to be cooked in the morning... water gets put in the lower saucepan and in the upper saucepan he puts the milk and oats so that they soak overnight.

When he gets up in the morning to make the morning cup of tea ( I'm spoilt  big_smile  big_smile )
He switches the heat on under the saucepan.
As the porrige is cooked i a doube saucepan it needs little attention , it cooks happily on its own and just needs a stir before it is served.

My daughter has a slow cooker that has a delay timer in it and so she does much the same only using the slow cooker.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 23 Jan 13 5:35am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Can't eat too much these days for brekky.  I'm happy with my slice of toasted homemade bread (breadmaker) and marmalade and perhaps milky coffee.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 23 Jan 13 9:32am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I couldn't cope without my egg and bacon or omelette in the morning, washed down with coffee!

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 23 Jan 13 10:26am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Oink!!!!!    big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 23 Jan 13 10:37am

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

The best mornings are the mornings in which I have time to lightly scramble 2-3 eggs in the residual heat of a lightly buttered frying pan (with black pepper, salt and chopped parsley), serve with baquette toasted in the oven, and make a cafetiere for a great cup of black coffee.

Needless to say I don't have time to do this in the week and I'm now feeling slightly bitter about the bowl of muesli I had this morning.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 23 Jan 13 12:43pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Breakfast is very important and it is even more important that I get some protein in or else I am sluggish and unfocused by 10am.  First of all, breakfast should be quick.  I have several things on hand for when I am in a rush. 

- On Sunday I hardboil about 5-6 eggs and keep them in the fridge.  I pull one out if I need a quick breakfast or snack during the week.
- Protein bars are very quick and handy, mine always include nuts and flax.
- yogurt drizzled with honey and fresh fruit, almonds and a spoonful of bran buds.
- Whole grain frozen waffle spread with peanut or almond butter
- Whole grain toasted english muffin with ham.
- when I have more time I will scramble a couple of eggs.

Even more importantly, is having a snack with me at all times.  Usually it's a home made trail mix of various unsalted nuts and dried fruits.  Apples are also handy to carry around.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 23 Jan 13 12:53pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

It is summer here and so I think of Bircher muesli (rolled oats mixed with yoghurt and left til softened , then add grated apple, chopped almonds, and drizzle with honey. Go crazy with other fruits too, berries are especially nice in it.

On really hot days a smoothie is the perfect breakfast. I add oats as well so it has a bit of substance. eg orange juice, banana, yoghurt, milk, oats and honey and a couple of iceblocks. Blend until it is thick and wonderful.

Fruit salad and yoghurt.

In winter I think porridge (mostly oat porridge but I also love semolina porridge!), pancakes, whole grain waffles.

And then I am hungry for toast again! smile

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 23 Jan 13 7:24pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

During the week it's noramlly either cornflakes, toast or yogurt with granola on top.  At weekends one day is normally smörgåsbord and the other something like scrambled eggs or bacon butties. yummy   But there is always coffee and orange juice big_smile

Likes (0)