wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Soaking rice

beerforyorky wrote:

Does everyone use a rice cooker?

Nope...I use a saucepan on the hob..can't see the point of another gadget cluttering up the worktop....

Oh..and I never soak/rinse my rice either...

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 24 Jan 13 12:11pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

So glad someone agrees with me wine-o.  I'm gonna run out of kitchen soon.  It's 15'3" long x 10.6.  I've got my breadmaker always at the ready, KitchenAid, toaster and microwave.  Enough is enough.  Even my electric steamer has to be put away, which is one of my favourite aides.

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 24 Jan 13 12:26pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I could not manage without my Magimix Thistledo !

I did have a rice cooker but when it went wrong it never get replaced, it was ok when all the family were small and at home but it takes up a lot of space and I could not justify a replacement , I am fine with a saucepam on the stove ,

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 24 Jan 13 12:59pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Thistledo wrote:

So glad someone agrees with me wine-o.  I'm gonna run out of kitchen soon.  It's 15'3" long x 10.6.  I've got my breadmaker always at the ready, KitchenAid, toaster and microwave.  Enough is enough.  Even my electric steamer has to be put away, which is one of my favourite aides.

Mine's approx 14 feet x 9....1 Metre wide range style cooker, 900mm fridge freezer leaving approx 5.4 linear metres of worktop space...(That's about 17 foot 8 in old money)

By the time the kettle,water filter jug, radio,fruit bowl, microwave, knife block, food waste recycling bin, deep fat fryer, toaster and regularly used condiments are out I'm left with so little space it's untrue !!!!

I think all these bits and bobs breed to fill the available space....

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 25 Jan 13 8:38am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

My main work surface is around 7 metres long (an 'L' shape) of which almost 2 metres is taken up by the hob and the sinks. Permanently on the surface is the rice cooker, microwave, toaster, kettle, coffee jar, kitchen roll and a bottle of cooking oil. Every other piece of cooking equipment or kitchen aid is stashed away (slow cooker, liquidiser/grinder/ sandwich toaster, kitchen scales, etc.) as are all the pans.

However, being somewhat lazy, I tend to use the kitchen table for food preparation as I can then sit down.

(edited to reflect a correct conversion factor)

Last edited by beerforyorky (Fri 25 Jan 13 8:42am)

Likes (0)