forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 25 Jan 13 12:43am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

swede - what to do with it

I have been asked by my daughter and it's the first time I see one so I ask you think

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 25 Jan 13 1:41am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: swede - what to do with it

Grandmadamada. In the south of the UK we call the yellow fleshed root veg a Swede and the white fleshed one a turnip.  Both are extremely versatile root veg.  You can roast chunks of swede, use it diced in a stew or casserole but our favourite mthod is boiled with carrot and mashed, or pureed.  Also nice when cooked, combining it with cooked potato and leftover green cabbage (or sprouts) and frying it up en masse as a bubble and squeak.

Turnip is my favourite out of the two, tasting not unlike a radish.  Can be used the same ways as swede.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 25 Jan 13 7:53am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Rutabaga is what a swede is called in Australia and America .

It needs to be peeled ( my darlings job !) he uses a Shapiro knife and peels off all the layer of the swede skin.
The swede skin is a lighter colour than the flesh of the swede , it's usually around 1 or 2 mm thick. Depending on the size and age of the swede.
I like it all removed.

One of my sisters insists that this is not nessessary. She uses a potato peeler and only takes a very thin perl off removing the outer colour only .

Our favourite way of cooking it is to ,peel it ,chop it into chunks , boil it in some salted water  drain it then mash it with some butter and pepper .

As Thistledo says its very good mashed together with potato .

If there is any left then it great mixed with other left over veg and potato to make 'Bubble and Squeak' .

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 25 Jan 13 7:58am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

In this part of Australia we call it swede! We used them interchangeably with turnips. I didn't like them much, but pasties never taste quite right without a bit with the potato and carrot! I preferred swede to parsnip, a bit milder!

I speak in the past tense because I haven't bought one for years!

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 25 Jan 13 8:16am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

This swede, chorizo crepe looks interesting. Probably bypass the cheese sauce and go for a salsa or herby sauce though.
http://www.cooksister.com/2010/02/swede … repes.html

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 25 Jan 13 8:24am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

I use swede in a mash on its own with butter and pepper like Mummza said or mashed together with carrot and or potato.
I also chop it up and add to soups, pies/pasties or casseroles.
You can bake it but I'm not a big fan. Or make soup out of it like you would  for a pumpkin soup recipe.

Last edited by shammrok (Fri 25 Jan 13 8:25am)

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 25 Jan 13 8:50am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

thank you allllll big_smile I'll pass on your suggestions and store them for me too, now I know what I knew only by name in Friulano it's called verzerave, sounding like ancient food with secret healthy winter properties which have gone lost smile

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 25 Jan 13 8:59am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

By complete co-incidence I did Swede and carrot mash last night...when peeling the swede make sure you get rid of any green bits, as they can be bitter, I do find that this will take a lot of seasoning...

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 25 Jan 13 11:41am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Yep, always been a swede here. They give a nice peppery note in pumpkin soup.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 25 Jan 13 12:59pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Likes (0)