Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 26 Jan 13 1:45am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: herby potatoes to compliment maple ham???

koukouvagia wrote:

Oh, yes asparagus is "available" all year round here in NY too, but that doesn't mean it's any good and I try my best to buy locally grown foods rather than foods that have been shipped from god-knows-where across the globe.  Produce like that is usually quite expensive, tasteless because it has been harvested before it is actually ripened, and carries a heavy carbon footprint.  I don't mean to be judgy judgy but when I show up to a dinner party in the dead of winter and get served up an asparagus I am more confused than anything.  Here is a long list of vegetables that are seasonal in the winter time, if you enjoy any of them I could give you an awesome recipe for it and then you can wait with anticipation for the gorgeous asparagus of spring like I do.... Taking care to serve vegetables that are in season will not go unnoticed by your guests, and it also ensures freshness and seasonality.  It's something to think about.

Beets
Cabbage
Endive
Celery
Chicory
Dark leafy greens
Jerusalem artichokes
Turnips
Cauliflower
Brussel Sprouts
Rutabaga
Broccoli
Parships
Fennel (EXCELLENT WITH PORK!!)
Rapini
Carrots
Kale
Leeks

I was once talking to a friend who was so annoyed she couldn't find fresh figs and the recipe she was reading required fresh figs... it was March.  My eyes rolled to the back of my head.

there are a few things on your list that aren't in season  in winter in New York either.  Probably  shipped in from Cali or mexico.   Broccoli , rapini,chickory , endive , celery, cauliflower. , fennel.   All good things, and I buy them thoughout the winter as well, but in places with seriously challenging growing climates  most people don't truely eat seasonal anymore. I agree with not bothering with Asparagus til in season purely on a taste basis, but that is a personal thing. Others might just be fine with the taste of Asparagus from peru , Mexico or  elsewhere.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#12 Sat 26 Jan 13 12:10pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I'd steer clear of the herbs - I can't think of any herbs that wouldn't fight with the ham, and a maple-glazed ham is a pretty strong set of flavours to start with. I'd want something milder-tasting to go with it.

So I'd go either with plain boiled potatoes, baked potatoes, mash or something like dauphinois.

I agree something green would work well as a side. Maybe even a salad.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 26 Jan 13 12:43pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Ashen wrote:

there are a few things on your list that aren't in season  in winter in New York either.  Probably  shipped in from Cali or mexico.   Broccoli , rapini,chickory , endive , celery, cauliflower. , fennel.   All good things, and I buy them thoughout the winter as well, but in places with seriously challenging growing climates  most people don't truely eat seasonal anymore. I agree with not bothering with Asparagus til in season purely on a taste basis, but that is a personal thing. Others might just be fine with the taste of Asparagus from peru , Mexico or  elsewhere.

I guess you could say that eating seasonally is not black and white, it's a spectrum.  You're right about those veg not being local.  There was a time when I never gave any thought to whether something was seasonal or not.  If it was sold at the grocery store I bought it with little thought.  I am truly trying to escape from that and THINK about the food I am buying.  Not because I'm trying to be fashionable, but because living in a city can make one so neglectful of the earth, and of the way food is grown.  I've gone from never thinking about seasonality to trying to keep it in mind.  There are staple veg I can tolerate being out of season (potatoes, onions, lemons, garlic, avocados, spinach, mushrooms, carrots, lettuce) and things I will simply not even consider to eat if they are not in season (tangerines, asparagus, berries, figs, artichokes, tomatoes, zucchini).  But we all start somewhere.

My family lives in Greece on a farm.  They eat seasonally, though they are lucky to have mild weather and can enjoy certain produce longer than we do.  Last spring my parents visited me and the day they came I put out a platter of fruit.  It had grapes on it.  My mother refused to eat it "because it's April" haha!! 

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.  However I do think that when planning a dinner party some of this should be taken into account.  Ok maybe the OP can't avoid serving certain things that are out of season.  But in my opinion asparagus heralds spring weather to me and I personally would find it odd if it ended up on my dinner plate in January.  Perhaps the OP has never heard of seasonal cooking, just like I once didn't know about it.  Just saying.

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 26 Jan 13 12:44pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

hippytea wrote:

I'd steer clear of the herbs - I can't think of any herbs that wouldn't fight with the ham, and a maple-glazed ham is a pretty strong set of flavours to start with. I'd want something milder-tasting to go with it.

So I'd go either with plain boiled potatoes, baked potatoes, mash or something like dauphinois.

I agree something green would work well as a side. Maybe even a salad.

Actually, I do think that there are certain herbs that can stand up to that ham.  Namely rosemary, thyme and oregano.  Especially dried thyme and oregano.  But I agree that fresh herbs like dill, parsley, mint and marjoram would not pair well at all.

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 26 Jan 13 4:52pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

This year,  asparagus season is much earlier for people in the U.K.  because Wiki says a new variety developed there blooms two months earlier at 7 C. (45 F.).

I get U.S. grown asparagus through a good portion of the winter.  I know we are quite a bit closer to southern states than Koukouvagia and Ashen.  G.B. has some mild areas and they're not that far from warm countries.  February in parts Spain and Italy is early spring.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 26 Jan 13 4:56pm)

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 26 Jan 13 11:30pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

good point.. spain and italy and even morroco  are closer to the UK than Cali is to here.   I   have a list of foods I don't bother to eat out of season unless my wife insists on buying them , and even then I will often just pass on eating them.  .  Asparagus, strawberries ( I have no use for the california grown but I will eat the ones that come from florida just after christmas, but they have to actually smell like strawberries), fresh corn... there are others I will eat out of season but only the  local hydroponic version tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#17 Sun 27 Jan 13 9:53am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Who buys strawberries out of season? help

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 27 Jan 13 10:10am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Pakman wrote:

Who buys strawberries out of season? help

Not me (or asparagus from Peru or Thailand).

Grow (on an inner-city balcony), buy and cook seasonally.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#19 Sun 27 Jan 13 1:10pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

In the privacy of my own home I do enjoy frozen veg like peas and corn all year round.  But again, I would not serve them at a dinner party if they were not in season.

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 27 Jan 13 2:14pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Is this ham parboiled first?  If so, a couple of bay leaves in the water would make a subtle difference.  I never use any other herbs with my gammon joints, although we prefer it boiled in a dry cider with a pinch of demerara sugar, a few crushed black pepper corns, as well as the bay leaves.

Likes (0)