forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 25 Jan 13 2:59pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

So who does the best burger? probably not Tesco.

My vote goes to. Bread Street Kitchen, St Pauls, London. Short rib beef burger with Monterey Jack cheese and smoked tomato ketchup. Amazing beef taste, well-constructed burger, 9.5 on the burger me blog.
Donít bother with the chips. You donít really need them. Jamieís Barbecoa (next door) does the best chips ever.
Nowhere near where I live does a good take away or sit down burger. That said a new place has opened in Exeter, we live in hope (and die in despair).
Lavistock Park, for the uncooked burger. A buffalo burger, if I remember correctly. But I usually make my own.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 25 Jan 13 3:04pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: So who does the best burger? probably not Tesco.

Who does the best Burger ??

I do.......

and if you don't believe me ask the Mrs.  big_smile

Though to be fair, the best burger I ever tasted was from a little wooden roadside "shack" on the outskirts of Oxford, this was donkeys years ago, so I doubt it is still there...

It was just perfectly cooked and seasoned, just a little pink on the inside...just as I like it..

Last edited by wine~o (Fri 25 Jan 13 3:05pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 25 Jan 13 5:04pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

I love burgers!!! dribble

The "Mich Burger" has to be the best burger that i've tasted.  Too bad the restaurant changed owners and now the place is gone down hill.  It was such a great place to eat.  I miss it there.  I must say i make a pretty good burger myself..moose burger that is. yummy

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 26 Jan 13 11:59am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

To be fair to Tesco, which goes against the grain, the horse burgers were also on sale in Lidl, Aldi, Iceland and Dunnes Stores.

Having listened to the Food Programme report on the horse burger scandal - http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/foodprog - it has blown my confidence in the meat supply chain, which was already shaky, completely out of the water. It probably doesn't help that I was reading the River Cottage Meat book when the story broke. Some heavy stuff in there!

So currently I don't feel great about any burger that I haven't made myself with meat from my local butcher, who I see butchering the sides of beef before my eyes. I know there can be sourcing issues at butchers, too - I have not yet plucked up the courage to ask where the cows come from - but at least I know it is in fact a cow.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 27 Jan 13 8:32pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Youíre so right, Hippy Tea ,A great read, River Cottage Meat is. Really factual and helpful.  The food programme H.M. episode was also a great insight.
I use both these for info. I agree, you need to know where and what.
You can taste the difference in Gordon's burger; itís better than any I have ever made.
Good people, also look for beef from
Suckler Herds if possible. Dry aged, the longer the better, within reason (12 years may not be so clever). Ginger Pig London does 48 days plus if I remember rightly, go check them out. They supply Hawksmoor, I bet their Burger is amazing.
Moose Burger sounds awesome! Wine O, your right, itís sometimes the least likely places that do great food. Thatís what I hope this thread will come up with, some hidden gems. Especially in London.
Rubies in Exeter opens on Monday, I try it in a few weeks time on route to London. I hope it is not a chain.
Come on tell us where those burgers are, please.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 27 Jan 13 9:17pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Another advantage of using a butcher rather than a supermarket is if you're not happy with his hanging times, you can ask him to hang it a little longer. Provided he's doing it properly and hanging it himself, of course.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 27 Jan 13 10:02pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

if you ever get to Calgary Canada. The toadnturtle pub near the airport does an excellent Elk Burger.  yummy  yummy

The next best burger I have had in the past couple years is bear burger sliders I made from some bear meat a hunter friend gave me.

After that homemade beef burgers of equal parts mix/custom grind of trip tip, shoulder and brisket.   Cold meat, I  cut it up into chunks and then lay it flat on a sheet pan cover with wrap, place the grinder parts on top and place in the freezer til the meat is semi solid.    I season the cubes ( just kosher salt and black pepper) just before running through the grinder. medium plate.  Form the patties gently and then grilled over lump charcoal.  7 year old white cheddar melted on top . fresh bun   Condiments onion tomato   homemade pickle, homemade relish.  yummy

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#8 Mon 28 Jan 13 8:22am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

I cannot remember the name of the town but it was somewhere between Galveston and Pasadena (TX) where we stopped for lunch. I believe it was called a jalapeno burger. I had never tasted better before nor have I tasted better since. My own attempts to emulate it have been somewhat pathetic.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 28 Jan 13 8:25am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Noticing the reference in the title of this thread, as far as I'm aware I've not eaten a horse burger, but I have eaten horse steak in Spain. Quite tasty but tough.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 28 Jan 13 10:53am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Beer, isn't 'jalapeno' a pepper?

Likes (0)