forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 28 Jan 13 10:58am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Re: So who does the best burger? probably not Tesco.

Thistledo wrote:

Beer, isn't 'jalapeno' a pepper?

Yes. The burger was a standard beef patty in a bun with sliced pickled jalapeno peppers as "garnish" (amongst other things).

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 28 Jan 13 2:00pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Moose Burger sounds good as does Jalapeno. Using the semi frozen mince idea is a good one. I tried it before our cheap mince maker gave up, good results. How a burger is constructed certainly makes a difference. I think the Burger Me blog has some info on this. Keeping my eye out for a second hand mince maker. I had a street food burger in Germany, with high expectations, only to be let down.  Not Hamburg though, it was in Bavaria.  Many good things I have had in Germany, not burgers though.
Also do Moose and Elk taste the same? Reindeer and chips is one of Rock & Roll legends Lemmyís favourite meals. He eats burgers. Lemmy , whereís the best burger joint?

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 28 Jan 13 10:13pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Heston Blumenthal thinks you should mince the meat so all the strands point in the same direction, then roll it into a log and cut it in slices. Says the grain running vertically gives a better texture.

But I'm never sure if I should take advice from a man who uses hot tubs to poach whole pigs.

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 29 Jan 13 8:58am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Goose.. Moose and Elk taste distinctly different to me.

for game meat burgers, my preference in decending order would be Elk or Caribou (I have no preference between these two actually ) , then Bear, then venison, then Moose. That being said I would happily eat a well made Moose burger.  yummy  yummy

Hippytea... I had  to try it out, the aligned strands, not the hottubbing porky.   The difference is very slight , compared to being mindful not to overwork  the mince when forming a patty. . Not something I would bother to do again.

Last edited by Ashen (Tue 29 Jan 13 8:59am)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#15 Tue 29 Jan 13 7:15pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Thanks for taking one for the team, Ashen. I felt like I should try it but it seemed like such a faff.

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 30 Jan 13 12:46am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

I used some of/most of Hestonís tips, for the perfect burger. They are good. I had nice burgers; I think the cut was sirloin, a bit expensive. I thought just having the sirloin steak was perhaps a better idea. But his use of salt and same direction mince worked great. That said I like a looser mix of burger just as much as his wraped up in cling film Pattie. It was a great burger, Bread Street Kitchen's burger was better.
Where can we get Elk in the U.K. anyone know?

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 30 Jan 13 10:20am

hippytea

From Scotland

Sirloin seems extravagant for a burger!

What do you mean by elk?

The terms for deer-like animals can be very confusing as they mean different things in the UK and North America. I believe this is how it works, although it's always possible I'm confused myself:

North American moose, Alces Alces, is called Eurasian elk in the UK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose)
North American elk, Cervus Canadensis, dos not exist in Europe but is similar to what we call red deer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk)

They're quite different animals - which one are you planning to cook up? If it's the North American elk you're after, the closest equivalent would be red deer, which is easy to find. If you find venison in the supermarket or butcher, it's usually red deer (though other species are sold as well and it won't always specify which it is).

If it's the Eurasian elk, or moose, you're after, I have no idea where you'd get it. I've never seen it for sale. According to Wikipedia, they eat a lot of it in Sweden.

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 31 Jan 13 12:53am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

The Elk that Ashen is talking about, I know no more.
Last deer I had was a Roe deer, leg amazing, not strong in flavour. At £10 a real bargain. I have had all our breeds I think.
The joy of knowing the hunter or the butcher is you are told all the details. Supermarkets are selling New Zealand venison, no clues as to anything. If I was in N.Z. I would by N.Z. venison, I am on Dartmoor, thatís where my venison comes from, and itís the best.
I will be trying the new Burger place in Exmore on Thursday, it looks promising.

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Thu 31 Jan 13 11:23pm)

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 31 Jan 13 9:36am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cervus+ca … d=0CEoQsAQ

this is what Canadian Elk look like

I amjust  not sure if you can get  North American elk meat in europe .   I know our elk are susceptible to Chronic Wasting Disease , so I am doubtful  that  the UK would allow its import.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#20 Thu 31 Jan 13 6:21pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

wine~o wrote:

Who does the best Burger ??

I do.......

and if you don't believe me ask the Mrs.  big_smile

Though to be fair, the best burger I ever tasted was from a little wooden roadside "shack" on the outskirts of Oxford, this was donkeys years ago, so I doubt it is still there...

It was just perfectly cooked and seasoned, just a little pink on the inside...just as I like it..

Sorry wine-o I think if your ask the kids, they'll say it's me! wink

Likes (0)