Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 27 Nov 09 9:39am

Asahi

Occupation Aquaculture
From Australia
Member since Sat 10 Jul 04

fresh goat meat

Hi there,

My colleague has given me some fresh goat that she killed only two days ago.  The meat felt really soft and tender the day it was killed.  I have had it in the fridge for two days and it has firmed up a lot.  I'd like to cook it without freezing it.   I have never had this fresh meat before....so can I cook it straight away, or do I need to hold onto it a while before I eat it? 

By the way, if you have any great recipes for roast goat I'd love to hear them.

Asahi

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 27 Nov 09 10:15am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: fresh goat meat

eat it sooner... your fridge is not the proper environment to age meat.  Ageing needs very constant proper temp and humidity that a home fridge is not able to duplicate.   As for roasting.. treat it like you would lamb or give Jamies curry lamb recipe a go and use the goat instead..  awesome stuff.  dribble  dribble   I prefer it with goat instead of lamb

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#3 Fri 27 Nov 09 8:01pm

Asahi

Occupation Aquaculture
From Australia
Member since Sat 10 Jul 04

Cheers Ashen.  Jamie's lamb curry does sound good using goat meat.  I found a few other recipes on the net that said a goat curry is great.  Thanks.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 28 Nov 09 6:43pm

1anarchopagan

Member since Fri 07 Nov 08

Goat, or chivo as we call it here in NE New Mexico, is a tricky thing. The meat can be simply roasted or bbqed if it is quite young. But if it is not, the finished product will be resilient enough to double as a bulletproof vest.

Unless the goat was actually a kid (which we call "cabrito,") I would recommend stewing or braising it, long and slow, until it is falling-apart tender. It's a flexible meat, like lamb but with less fat and a bit more "tang" to it. You could use treatments anywhere from the Mexican, where it is rubbed with a paste or recado of chili powder, cumin, onion, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, salt and pepper and left to braise in a tightly covered container with a bit of broth until it is falling apart and swimming in its own sauce, to the Jamaican, to North African or Ethiopian or even provencal.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 30 Jan 13 4:12pm

cockerham-goat

Member since Wed 30 Jan 13

what a shame that you are so negative about goat meat suggesting it is always tough.

If you buy top quality product such as we sell at www.goat-meat.co.uk it certainly wont be tough. It cooks in no more time than lamb and is beautifully tender and succulent.

Watch bbc2s The great British Menu on weds the 6th Feb 2013 to see our product cooked By Chef Michael Smith.

Then visit our web page to order and join our many happy and repeat customers for top quality British goat meat

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 30 Jan 13 5:22pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the forum cockerham-goat  smile

the post the that suggested that the meat was tough was from 2009 ,quite a while ago now.
I see from your post that you have put in a link to a website , when you joineed the forum today yo sgreed to the terms and conditions which I beleive say ...

"You agree not to commercially advertise your business and/or products. Any such posts will be deleted and may lead to you being banned."

advertising your buisness is considered spam and that is something that is not tollorated here on this forum.

It would be better if you could start athread to tell people how to cook goat and what to expect from it .

I will watch the great British Menu program as I enjoy the shows and its great that your coat meat is being used and cooked, I have never cooked goat myself so I will be interested to see what is beong done with it.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 30 Jan 13 8:08pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

mummza wrote:

welcome to the forum cockerham-goat  smile

"You agree not to commercially advertise your business and/or products. Any such posts will be deleted and may lead to you being banned."

advertising your buisness is considered spam and that is something that is not tollorated here on this forum.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 30 Jan 13 11:22pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Cheers for the link cockerham-goat. I will be looking at your site, some more. I have bought goat before from various places. Knowing some more about breed and age and its wellbeing is important to me.  Good Goat farmers I like the idea of. Especially ones who have been on country file. Come on people, he is not from A car company, nuclear power company or a Bank.  Our good farmers need all the help they can get. Many are suffering.

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Thu 31 Jan 13 12:38am)

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 30 Jan 13 11:25pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Curried Goat, one of my favourite meals, with rice and peas or dumpling. Always on the bone. I am led to believe younger goats are far less tough. That said are the older ones like mutton, lots of flavour, longer slower cooking time required?

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Thu 31 Jan 13 12:39am)

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 31 Jan 13 3:52pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

@nGoose1 wrote:

Come on people, he is not from A car company, nuclear power company or a Bank.  Our good farmers need all the help they can get. Many are suffering.

you are right Goose, but Rules are there for a reaso and there has been an issue with spam recently

Likes (0)