forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#781 Sun 27 Jan 13 9:15pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Ask me a cooking question

petia, I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure this is possible - one of my old cookbooks has a recipe for apple meringue pie which just uses apples, sugar and separated eggs, plus pastry for the base.

Try looking at recipes for lemon tart or tarte au citron - they're usually based on a lemon-flavoured egg custard and are very like the base of a lemon meringue pie.

Likes (0)

#782 Tue 29 Jan 13 4:57pm

Jamie's Food Team

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

petia.ivanova.3781 wrote:

i am looking for a lemon meringue pie recipe that uses ingredients i can produce on a smallholding.
that means no condensed milk, no cornstarch.

i remember mother making this with only eggs butter flour lemons and sugar (ok sugar has to be the exception, i know honey wont peak a meringue)

whats your recommended way to proceed?

The best filling for a lemon meringue pie is a lemon curd - using eggs, butter, lemons and sugar. You definitely don’t need condensed milk - however the addition of cornflour thickens the mix, stabilizing it. If you make your curd thicker by adding more egg yolks you shouldn't need the cornflour.  The meringue in a lemon meringue pie does usually have cornflour to make it more malleable and soft - however it isn’t a necessity and you can omit the cornflour altogether  - just make sure you really whip the meringue until it is stiff. Or you can make an Italian meringue – which is a little more complex but well worth it as the flavour and texture of the meringue is like nothing else.

Likes (0)

#783 Tue 29 Jan 13 4:58pm

Jamie's Food Team

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

ann.moss.75 wrote:

I am a lorry driver and I need some healthy alternatives for lunch  I dont have access to a cooker so just cold food ideas.  Quick and easy too coz Im usually to knackered to do much after 10 hours in a lorry  Thanx for any ideas. Ann

I can imagine how tired you must feel after 10 hours of driving! I would be too. The best thing for you would not just be lunch but snacks too. When you’re driving it is really important to keep your energy up throughout the day, so make yourself a little ‘snack box’ and fill it with plenty of nuts (unsalted), toasted seeds and dried fruit (you can get ready mixed packets in most supermarkets and service staions), fruit such as bananas, apples and grapes and plenty of water. Nuts are really high in energy and full of good fats which keep you going through the day – as well as fruits and of course water.

Likes (0)

#784 Tue 29 Jan 13 6:46pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Are nuts and dried fruit a good plan if you're driving all day? I love nuts - once I pop I can't usually stop - and it's amazing how the calories mount up. I'm not generally a calorie counter but it shocked me when I found out how many are in a bag of nuts! Dried fruit is very sugary, too, and sugar rushes/crashes while you're driving are not great.

I would have gone with fresh fruit for snacking while driving, rather than dried and nuts. Not so energy-dense and keeps you hydrated. Obviously harder to keep a stock in the cab if the weather's warm, and you'd need to take time every now and then to peel and cut some up and stick it in a box or pot so you don't need to peel oranges while you're driving.

My best driving snack is oatcakes. Not the most exciting, but I find they keep the blood sugar steady, which helps my concentration. I used to drive hundreds of miles in a day for work and a pack of oatcakes was a lifesaver.

Likes (0)

#785 Wed 30 Jan 13 12:34am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

bignige wrote:

Hi please can you check out my blog on food in state boarding schools I'd really appreciate some feed back. http://theschoolkitchen.blogspot.co.uk  thanks

Bignige, you were asked (nicely) not to constantly reference your blog on another thread here just a short time ago hmm. Why don't you share some of the findings with us? Is it relevant to this thread, though? Has it been covered in the past? If so, how are your findings different to previous findings/comments?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#786 Thu 31 Jan 13 11:55am

Jamies-Ministry

Occupation Freelance photographer
From Bushey
Member since Thu 09 Apr 09

Jamie would you consider please writing a book for those with allergies like gluten, dairy, wheat etc
smile
or perhaps a mini series on tv
i am 1 of those people with such allergies.
tnx J
Rock & Roll  clap

Likes (0)

#787 Thu 31 Jan 13 1:04pm

patrikilus

Member since Mon 14 Jan 13

Hi Jamie,
I am 21 years old and come from Germany. I believe that I have been your first Tv follow no missed. I cook for every free minute recipes from you.
Currently I'm studying, but I am very unhappy. I'd rather be with you cook together and explore the culinary cultures of the world. It would be my dream if you would contact me.

Best wishes and hope to see you soon
Patrick

Likes (0)

#788 Thu 31 Jan 13 3:26pm

kathrine pelosi

Occupation student
From Edinburgh
Member since Wed 30 Jan 13

Hey everyone I know you are all really busy with things but for my Product Design project at University I want to understand the frustrations you face when going for food shops. At the moment I want to redesign the personal shopping trolley that you see the older generation with but I am aiming to understand how I could modernize it and take away the social stigma of them being specifically aimed at the elderly.

I would be ever so grateful

Kathrine

Likes (0)

#789 Thu 31 Jan 13 3:34pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Hello kathrine and welcome to the forum.

I don't know where you are but I think you maybe referring to the wheelchair friendly trolley, where the wheelchair is fixed to the trolley.  If you mean the ordinary trolley, which is pushed along, it is definitely not designed with the elderly in mind.  They are used by all ages, depending on how much shopping they're getting.

Can you be more explicit in your description, please?

Likes (0)

#790 Thu 31 Jan 13 3:39pm

kathrine pelosi

Occupation student
From Edinburgh
Member since Wed 30 Jan 13

Thistledo wrote:

Hello kathrine and welcome to the forum.

I don't know where you are but I think you maybe referring to the wheelchair friendly trolley, where the wheelchair is fixed to the trolley.  If you mean the ordinary trolley, which is pushed along, it is definitely not designed with the elderly in mind.  They are used by all ages, depending on how much shopping they're getting.

Can you be more explicit in your description, please?

Hi there I am from Edinburgh

I am specifically looking at making the portable personal shopping trolleys modern and accessible to all ages not just the elderly. My mom who is only 45 finds it difficult to carry her shopping home with her, the shopping trolley would be beneficial to use but they look so granny ish.

Hope this helps, thank you for getting in touch with me

Likes (0)