Subscribe to forums RSS

#791 Fri 15 Feb 13 7:41pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Nope....you were in the right section with your first post......

jamie doesn't answer every question personally....

In the meantime, I'll try to be more understanding of "Newbies" who post a question, get an answer that they they don't like...then delete the thread...

help

Likes (0)

#792 Fri 15 Feb 13 7:49pm

sheila.dickson.33

Member since Fri 15 Feb 13

I never said I didn't like the answer!.....I was going to say 'thank you' for any answers, but got 'told off' before I got the chance to do so.

Likes (0)

#793 Fri 15 Feb 13 8:03pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Oh ....this is going to turn into flame war unless one of us offers a hand of freindship......I'll go first....

Pork and apple in your ravioli...not conventional...but...

Last edited by wine~o (Fri 15 Feb 13 8:49pm)

Likes (0)

#794 Fri 15 Feb 13 10:11pm

sheila.dickson.33

Thank you. As the filling needs something to help bind it together, apple would be a good alternative to cheese or egg yolk.  Thank you - a lovely idea.

Likes (0)

#795 Fri 15 Feb 13 10:43pm

onshin

Occupation cashier for a coop food store
From new england
Member since Thu 14 Feb 13

dear jamie , i got your book meals in minutes for christmas and i have to finnish all the recipes by april , today is feb 15 and i have 11 more meals to go . and im licking the plates clean thier so good . but alot of your recipes call for red chillies , is thier any thing milder i can substitute , thanks and if you want to send a autograph picture to me that would be rock on,, thank you with utmost compassion,         ms Onshin ,, po box 3 grafton new hampshire 03240 ,usa
thanks agian.

Likes (0)

#796 Sun 17 Feb 13 8:26pm

HannahRP

Member since Mon 11 Feb 13

Hi Mummza!

Thank you for your suggestions! I will have a look into them!

I'm very new to online forums so sorry for the late reply, took me a while to figure it all out!!

smile

Likes (0)

#797 Sun 17 Feb 13 11:04pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

sheila.dickson.33 wrote:

I would love some great ideas for ravioli fillings WITHOUT any cheese.  I have made a mushroom one so far, and know I can make a meat one, but nearly all recipes I come across include cheese of one sort or another.  Any ideas?

how large are the raviolo you are making?    A simple one would be to just fill them with leftover homemade meatsauce/bolognese. to work right it needs to be chilled before you fill the ravioli skins.  As long as they are sealed tight I wouldn't worry too much about  adding anything to thicken the sauce. It is quite nice when they are cut into and it comes out.  You can sauce the outside with a light coat of brown butter and garlic.   yummy

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#798 Sun 17 Feb 13 11:42pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

mummza wrote:

Grandmadamada wrote:

looking for "organic" meat in London ................................. :

Oh Grandmadamada , you do worry about what your little nipotina eats , ......................................................................
so don't worry my lovely friend . X

grazie mummza!
big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  I'll forward your suggestions and buon senso to my londoners, I have seen your post only now
grazie ancora thumbsup

Likes (0)

#799 Mon 18 Feb 13 1:26am

sheila.dickson.33

Ashen wrote:

sheila.dickson.33 wrote:

I would love some great ideas for ravioli fillings WITHOUT any cheese.  I have made a mushroom one so far, and know I can make a meat one, but nearly all recipes I come across include cheese of one sort or another.  Any ideas?

how large are the raviolo you are making?    A simple one would be to just fill them with leftover homemade meatsauce/bolognese. to work right it needs to be chilled before you fill the ravioli skins.  As long as they are sealed tight I wouldn't worry too much about  adding anything to thicken the sauce. It is quite nice when they are cut into and it comes out.  You can sauce the outside with a light coat of brown butter and garlic.   yummy

Just making them small size (using a ravioli shaper/press).  I know the filling has to be cool before filling, and I do ensure that each one is well sealed (using my grandmother's little pastry wheel made out of bone). I presumed that adding egg yolk or cheese (cannot use because of allergy) would help to bind any dry ingredients together, and didn't want to make up a sauce every time I cooked a filling, but now realize that as long as there is something else like onions or tomatoes within the mix, it should help to stop the mixture falling apart as I try to fill the pockets.  I like the idea of using some veg that can be mashed down lightly (squash, peppers, courgettes, etc) to add to different meats.  Thank you for your reply.

Likes (0)

#800 Mon 18 Feb 13 2:30am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum sheila.dickson.33

Can I ask .. Are you allergic to milk ?
I know it seems an odd question if you are asking about pasta fillings , but I am thinking about ricotta which can be made easily at home .

For filling ravioli you can add pretty much whatever you like but I have found that its best not to have the filling too wet.

Butternut squash that has been roasted or pan cooked first is a lovely ravioli filling with a bit of chopped sage stirred through it .

I mostly make vegetable fillings for ravioli .
But they vary as to what's in the fridge and I tend to make them up as I go ! oops

Don't worry about deleting he thread that you had before , it's easy to get in a muddle when you first join the forum , I definatly did !
Do stay around and join in other threads or create a few more ov your own and feel free to ask whatever you like , there are a few sections that its best to stick to , but apart from that its pretty easy.

Likes (0)