forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#801 Thu 31 Jan 13 3:26pm

kathrine pelosi

Occupation student
From Edinburgh
Member since Wed 30 Jan 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hey everyone I know you are all really busy with things but for my Product Design project at University I want to understand the frustrations you face when going for food shops. At the moment I want to redesign the personal shopping trolley that you see the older generation with but I am aiming to understand how I could modernize it and take away the social stigma of them being specifically aimed at the elderly.

I would be ever so grateful

Kathrine

Likes (0)

#802 Thu 31 Jan 13 3:34pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Hello kathrine and welcome to the forum.

I don't know where you are but I think you maybe referring to the wheelchair friendly trolley, where the wheelchair is fixed to the trolley.  If you mean the ordinary trolley, which is pushed along, it is definitely not designed with the elderly in mind.  They are used by all ages, depending on how much shopping they're getting.

Can you be more explicit in your description, please?

Likes (0)

#803 Thu 31 Jan 13 3:39pm

kathrine pelosi

Occupation student
From Edinburgh

Thistledo wrote:

Hello kathrine and welcome to the forum.

I don't know where you are but I think you maybe referring to the wheelchair friendly trolley, where the wheelchair is fixed to the trolley.  If you mean the ordinary trolley, which is pushed along, it is definitely not designed with the elderly in mind.  They are used by all ages, depending on how much shopping they're getting.

Can you be more explicit in your description, please?

Hi there I am from Edinburgh

I am specifically looking at making the portable personal shopping trolleys modern and accessible to all ages not just the elderly. My mom who is only 45 finds it difficult to carry her shopping home with her, the shopping trolley would be beneficial to use but they look so granny ish.

Hope this helps, thank you for getting in touch with me

Likes (0)

#804 Thu 31 Jan 13 7:19pm

cookdoc

Hey Jamie. I'm a newbee to cooking, so I apologize for dumb questions.
When making recipes that call for canned tomatoes (doing a lot of Italian lately, and no fresh toms available) whether whole, chopped or crushed, many (not you) don't specify whether to reserve and use, or the toss out the juice or liquod that also comes in the can. Any advice?

Also, check out cool vegetarian/vegan blog "Let The Good In."

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

cookdoc

Likes (0)

#805 Thu 31 Jan 13 7:25pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Kathrine, I'm afraid the normal shopping trolleys are not designed for vanity but for practical purposes.  Are you sure it's not you that think the trolleys are 'grannyish' and not your mother?

The trolleys go through a lot of wear and tear during the course of their lives and under constant repair, so whatever you designed, it would have to be very strong and hardy.

Good luck with your project.

Likes (0)

#806 Thu 31 Jan 13 8:14pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

cookdoc wrote:

Hey Jamie. I'm a newbee to cooking, so I apologize for dumb questions.
When making recipes that call for canned tomatoes (doing a lot of Italian lately, and no fresh toms available) whether whole, chopped or crushed, many (not you) don't specify whether to reserve and use, or the toss out the juice or liquod that also comes in the can. Any advice?

Also, check out cool vegetarian/vegan blog "Let The Good In."

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

cookdoc

Thanks for joining...a whole thread about tinned tomatoes...

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=79489

Likes (0)

#807 Thu 31 Jan 13 8:50pm

kathrine pelosi

Occupation student
From Edinburgh

Hi there I am from Edinburgh

I am specifically looking at making the portable personal shopping trolleys modern and accessible to all ages not just the elderly. My mom who is only 45 finds it difficult to carry her shopping home with her, the shopping trolley would be beneficial to use but they look so granny ish.

Hope this helps, thank you for getting in touch with me

Likes (0)

#808 Thu 31 Jan 13 8:56pm

kathrine pelosi

Occupation student
From Edinburgh

Thistledo wrote:

Kathrine, I'm afraid the normal shopping trolleys are not designed for vanity but for practical purposes.  Are you sure it's not you that think the trolleys are 'grannyish' and not your mother?

The trolleys go through a lot of wear and tear during the course of their lives and under constant repair, so whatever you designed, it would have to be very strong and hardy.

Good luck with your project.

Thank you for getting in touch with me, just trying to make carrying your shopping home trendy and stylish but also thinking about improving the trolley so i think you are right, they would have to be very strong and hardy so the consumer is getting good value for money.

Thank you for giving your opinion

Likes (0)

#809 Thu 31 Jan 13 9:14pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Katharine, are you talking about the "granny trolleys" that you own yourself and take home yourself, rather than the trolleys that belong to the store? Like this: http://www.transport-impacts.com/2008/05/

I own one of these - I'm not elderly, but they're very useful when doing shopping by foot.

As far as stopping it looking "grannyish", a choice of pattern helps - mine is red with white polka dots and I don't feel it's "grannyish" at all.

As for practical niggles: when I am in the shop, what do I do with my empty granny trolley? I can't shop directly into it, as the staff would think I'm shoplifting. Having to wheel or carry it while also carrying a basket full of shopping is very difficult - no free hands. Using a shopping trolley isn't much better, as I have to sort of attach it onto the side of the shopping trolley and grip it with one hand - really awkward.

So a solution to this would be great. Either a trolley that had a basket arrangement on top so you could shop directly into it but keep the stuff on display before checking it out, or one with some kind of hook that allowed you to attach it to the side of a shopping trolley, would be great.

I realise all this is confusing because of the two different kinds of trolleys, but I hope you can figure out what I mean. Best of all, take one shopping yourself - the problem should become obvious right away.

Likes (0)

#810 Thu 31 Jan 13 9:14pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

kathrine pelosi wrote:

Hey everyone I know you are all really busy with things but for my Product Design project at University I want to understand the frustrations you face when going for food shops....

The most frustrating thing I find in so called "Supermarkets" are narrow Aisles, and FAT people clogging them...hope this helps with your research...

Oh...and if your trolley has a special section for all the 14/16 inch frozen pizzas..so much the better...

Tongue slightly in cheek..............

Likes (0)