forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#811 Thu 31 Jan 13 9:19pm

kathrine pelosi

Occupation student
From Edinburgh
Member since Wed 30 Jan 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Thank you for getting in touch with me, just trying to make carrying your shopping home trendy and stylish but also thinking about improving the trolley so i think you are right, they would have to be very strong and hardy so the consumer is getting good value for money.

Thank you for giving your opinion

Likes (0)

#812 Fri 01 Feb 13 10:58am

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

kathrine pelosi wrote:

Thank you for getting in touch with me, just trying to make carrying your shopping home trendy and stylish but also thinking about improving the trolley so i think you are right, they would have to be very strong and hardy so the consumer is getting good value for money.

Thank you for giving your opinion

Hello Katherine. Could we please try to keep this thread free from non-cooking-related questions?  Thank you.

Likes (0)

#813 Fri 01 Feb 13 11:10am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Fennel bulb.
I've only ever cooked this once before, years ago, by frying it in oil, to accompany salmon fillet steaks wrapped in bacon.  Loved it.  Today we're having loin of cod and I bought a fennel bulb to accompany.  I want to cook it without using butter as the cod will already be buttered.  I think I can boil or poach it, or even roast it.  My steamer is 'ungettatable' presently so any ideas would be welcome, please.

Last edited by Thistledo (Fri 01 Feb 13 11:11am)

Likes (0)

#814 Fri 01 Feb 13 12:33pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Thistledo, it's unlikely the Food Team will have time to get around to this on a Friday but I will say that last week I cooked fennel bulbs with rice in a heavy cast-iron casserole dish in the oven, and it was sublime. If you fancy it, lightly heat dry rice in a bit of olive oil on the stove top in the casserole dish with a few whole black peppercorns, take off the heat before it starts to brown, tuck a few fennel bulbs in with the warmed coated rice, cover well with water, put the lid on and put in the oven at about 180C until cooked - usually about 20-30 minutes. Just scrape the top with a fork and judge it for yourself - don't stir it. This is easily my favourite way of cooking rice even on its own and the fennel flavours it wonderfully. It's go down a storm on the side of a cod dish!

Likes (0)

#815 Fri 01 Feb 13 12:59pm

Thistledo

Thank you Merlin.  That indeed sounds lovely but regret not appropriate with today's meal which will be the fish accompanied by mash.  I will certainly use your method on another occasion.

Likes (0)

#816 Fri 01 Feb 13 1:42pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

The fennel you talk of must be a whole lot smaller than the fennel that's available to me. Huge bulbs that are so fibrous that I no longer bother buying it. Supermarket and fruit and veg shop. Farmers' markets don't have it (when I go). Used to grow it when I lived in a house with a large garden but it's difficult when now limited to balcony life ( though I do have a well stocked herb and salad leaf collection.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#817 Fri 01 Feb 13 4:02pm

cookdoc

Member since Wed 30 Jan 13

Hey Jamie. I'm a newbee to cooking, so I apologize for dumb questions.
When making recipes that call for canned tomatoes (doing a lot of Italian lately, and no fresh toms available) whether whole, chopped or crushed, many (not you) don't specify whether to reserve and use, or the toss out the juice or liquod that also comes in the can. Any advice?

Also, check out cool vegetarian/vegan blog "Let The Good In."

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

cookdoc

Likes (0)

#818 Fri 01 Feb 13 4:17pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Hi, Cookdoc...As Jamie is rather busy at the moment, may I take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum ...

And, Yes, unless the recipe specifically tells you not to add the juice, then the entire contents of the can go in...

Likes (0)

#819 Fri 01 Feb 13 5:20pm

karenlesley

Occupation Retired
From Blandford Forum, Dorset
Member since Sun 26 Sep 10

Hi Thistledo, strictly speaking you don't need a dedicated steamer to steam things. Do you have a colander or sieve that will fit over a saucepan? If so, put about 3 - 4 inches of water in the pan, put the colander or sieve over the top, and bring to the boil. Voila ! one home-made steamer. You could also use a perforated foil plate.
Hope this helps
Karen smile

Likes (0)

#820 Fri 01 Feb 13 5:52pm

Thistledo

Thanks Karen, although I've used that method before.  Maybe, just for tonight's meal, I'll gently poach it in veg stock.

Likes (0)