forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 29 Jan 13 3:26pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

freezing fish pie..can, I cant I

CAN I FREEZE THIS...
50g butter
50g plain flour
300ml double cream
200ml dry cider
250g large raw peeled prawns
450g fresh haddock fillets, skinned and cut into large pieces
125g smoked haddock fillets, skinned and cut into large pieces
50g frozen peas
1 bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
Large handful of flatleaf parsley, chopped
375g ready-rolled puff pastry
1 large free-range egg, lightly beaten

Melt the butter in a pan. Stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes over a medium heat until it forms a thick paste. Gradually stir in the cream, until you have a smooth thick sauce. Slowly add the cider, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
Stir in the prawns, both types of haddock, the peas, spring onions and parsley. Spoon the mix into a 1.5 litre pie dish. Cool.
Wet the edges of the dish with water to help the pastry stick, then unroll the pastry and lay on top. Press the edges down to seal. Trim the excess pastry from around the edges and use the trimmings to decorate the top, if you like, sticking them on with a little water. Wrap the cooled pie in cling film, then foil. Freeze until needed.
The day before you want to eat the pie, remove it from the freezer and defrost completely overnight in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg, then make a couple of slits in the top to allow the steam to escape. Cook for 30-35 minutes until golden and piping hot.

OK i want to make the above recipe but the Haddock i have is frozen and im going to defrost it before using. I couldnt get any raw prawns so have bought cooked and frozen King prawn tails, so will also defrost these, the tails are really big so i was going to cut them into quite large chunks and hope they wont go 'rubbery' as its only 30-35 min cooking time

I would make the filling, then put in a suitable dish the one i will be cooking it in, put on cling film/seran wrap, then tin foil

I will add the pastry just before putting it inh the oven

Would it be possible to make the above and refreeze. think

Last edited by joobes (Tue 29 Jan 13 3:56pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 29 Jan 13 5:35pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: freezing fish pie..can, I cant I

Personally, I wouldn't if you're using previously frozen fish and prawns ...

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 29 Jan 13 5:43pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

yeah funnily enough i came back on to delete my post then saw your answer...ive now decided to still make the pie as written but keep it in the fridge and eat it either tomorrow or the next day...it would be a bit dodgey wouuldnt it..

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 29 Jan 13 5:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I think the same as Olivia , if the fish has been previously frozen I would not re-freeze it even if it has been cooked . I know that there are people who probably not think twice about putting the assembled pie into the freezer but it is not something I would do.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 29 Jan 13 6:59pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I disagree with this. So does the USDA:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FACTSheets/Foc … dex.asp#14

And the UK Food Standards Agency:

http://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/cam … QgMvWcwrs0

If the ingredients were frozen raw, defrosted, then cooked, then they can be re-frozen safely. USDA even thinks you can get away with re-freezing raw ingredients if you are careful, but I wouldn't risk it myself.

Quality is another issue. Fish pie is difficult to reheat without overcooking the fish, which dries it out and makes it crumble. If you freeze and thaw it, you will probably further break up the texture of the fish.

I'm not saying I've never done it - I'd rather eat overcooked fish than waste leftovers - but fish pie is best made in the quantities you need and not reheated if at all possible.

Last edited by hippytea (Tue 29 Jan 13 7:01pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 29 Jan 13 7:49pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

joobes wrote:

Melt the butter in a pan. Stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes over a medium heat until it forms a thick paste. Gradually stir in the cream, until you have a smooth thick sauce. Slowly add the cider, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
Stir in the prawns, both types of haddock, the peas, spring onions and parsley. Spoon the mix into a 1.5 litre pie dish. Cool.

this is why I would not freeze this pie ...

from reading the recipe Joobes plans to stir the uncooked fish into the sauce after it has been removed from the heat .
It is THEN cooled .
By doing this the fish would be warmed up but NOT cooked.

The fish has been previosly frozen .
It has not been cooked through in the sauce.

Personally I would not freeze this pie ,I consider that it is  it is not safe to refreeze thawed raw fish .
The fish in the pie has not been cooked through its simply been added to the sauce and then left to cool.

so as I see it ... by doing this it will have been warmed to the optimem temperatures for the bacterias to start to develop.
Freezing things does not kill bacterias , it simply arrests their development for the time that it is in the freezer.
Once thawed the organisms in the fish start to multiply again and as this pie has not been cooked through to help kill any bacterias , I consider it NOT safe to refreeze.

as I mentioned , from reading the recipe and method,
it looks like the raw fish has been put into a hot sauce and then the sauce has been removed from the heat ,
it has not been cooked through but the raw fish has been warmed through in the heat of the sauce.
leaving it at an optimum temperature fot bacterias to develop .

and that is why I consider it not safe to refreeze this pie.

Last edited by mummza (Tue 29 Jan 13 7:50pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 29 Jan 13 9:28pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

If in doubt, and without any further qualification....DON'T...

I've had food poisoning and it isn't pleasant.... puke

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 29 Jan 13 10:05pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

mummza wrote:

from reading the recipe Joobes plans to stir the uncooked fish into the sauce after it has been removed from the heat .
It is THEN cooled .
By doing this the fish would be warmed up but NOT cooked.

Argh! I didn't notice that!

Mummza is quite right. If you followed those instructions to the letter, DON'T EAT THE PIE.

If you used fresh fish, and you allowed the sauce to cool completely before adding the fish, you would be safe to freeze the pie.

If you used fresh or frozen fish, and you cooked the pie immediately after making it, you would be safe to freeze the pie.

Because you are using frozen fish, even if you allowed the sauce to cool completely before adding the fish, you would NOT be safe to freeze the pie without cooking it first.

Whether you use fresh or frozen fish, if you added the raw fish to the warm sauce and then cooled the whole thing down, THROW IT AWAY. It will make you sick!

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 01 Feb 13 11:52am

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Sorry ive not been about......
Thanks for all the advice peeps thumbsup  ...in the end i made this pie last night with no freezing..i made it as per the recioe but cooked and ate it the same night....was bloomin tasty too
  big_smile

Last edited by joobes (Fri 01 Feb 13 11:52am)

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 01 Feb 13 1:51pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Joobes wave have missed you. Hope you and things are OK. Glad the fish pie worked out thumbsup

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)