forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 31 Jan 13 4:32pm

Jamies-Ministry

Member
Occupation Freelance photographer
From Bushey
Member since Thu 09 Apr 09

How to thicken dairy free single cream?

As i cant have dairy cream for health reasons i only can have a single dairy free cream i have found but i prefer it a little thick
so my Q is dear foodies how do i thicken single cream without putting any nasties in it?
thanks all  smile

    Likes (0)

#2 Thu 31 Jan 13 4:41pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: How to thicken dairy free single cream?

Do you want to thicken it hot, or cold.  If you want to thicken in for a sauce, then you can break in an egg yolk or two and slowly heat, stirring all the time, until it is as thick as you'd like. 

If you're wanting to thicken it cold, then there are several routes to take.  You could heat a small quantity of lactose free milk, add a teaspoon of cornflour mixed with a bit of cold water, heat until thick, then thin with the single cream and chill;  or you could try using gelatine powder (follow instructions on packet), gelatine leaves (follow instructions on packet) or agar agar if you're looking for a vegetarian option.

All of the above methods should work quite well, but they all need to be done a bit in advance if you wish tp have your cream cold.  I have used all the above methods at one time or another, and personally I prefer to use the gelatine or agar agar to thickening with cornflour or arrowroot.

    Likes (0)

#3 Thu 31 Jan 13 4:43pm

Jamies-Ministry

Member
Occupation Freelance photographer
From Bushey
Member since Thu 09 Apr 09

Re: How to thicken dairy free single cream?

oliviascotland wrote:

Do you want to thicken it hot, or cold.  If you want to thicken in for a sauce, then you can break in an egg yolk or two and slowly heat, stirring all the time, until it is as thick as you'd like. 

If you're wanting to thicken it cold, then there are several routes to take.  You could heat a small quantity of lactose free milk, add a teaspoon of cornflour mixed with a bit of cold water, heat until thick, then thin with the single cream and chill;  or you could try using gelatine powder (follow instructions on packet), gelatine leaves (follow instructions on packet) or agar agar if you're looking for a vegetarian option.

All of the above methods should work quite well, but they all need to be done a bit in advance if you wish tp have your cream cold.  I have used all the above methods at one time or another, and personally I prefer to use the gelatine or agar agar to thickening with cornflour or arrowroot.

Thicken it cold smile & thank you for the reply
thumbsup  thumbsup

    Likes (0)

#4 Thu 31 Jan 13 9:16pm

hippytea

Member
Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: How to thicken dairy free single cream?

What is the brand, and why does it need to be single?

Elmlea Double whips like cream, but I imagine dairy-free creams vary a lot in their makeup.

    Likes (0)

#5 Fri 01 Feb 13 9:31am

Jamies-Ministry

Member
Occupation Freelance photographer
From Bushey
Member since Thu 09 Apr 09

Re: How to thicken dairy free single cream?

hippytea wrote:

What is the brand, and why does it need to be single?

Elmlea Double whips like cream, but I imagine dairy-free creams vary a lot in their makeup.

the brand does not matter as long as it is Dairy free lactose gluten etc & it`s not possible at the moment as far as i can see to be able to buy double dairy free cream only single cream
hence why i asked for suggestions to thicken single cream.
  big_smile

    Likes (0)

#6 Fri 01 Feb 13 9:51am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: How to thicken dairy free single cream?

Have you tried looking in some of the 'Health / Wholefood shops' when I had to buy fairy free for a friend I found they sold more than the supermarket .

    Likes (0)

#7 Fri 01 Feb 13 3:46pm

Jamies-Ministry

Member
Occupation Freelance photographer
From Bushey
Member since Thu 09 Apr 09

Re: How to thicken dairy free single cream?

mummza wrote:

Have you tried looking in some of the 'Health / Wholefood shops' when I had to buy fairy free for a friend I found they sold more than the supermarket .

i have only been able to buy 1 & that`s a single cream but i will try the cornflour & vegi gelatin suggestion some mentioned smile
that sounds like it will help a lot

    Likes (0)

#8 Sat 02 Feb 13 4:56pm

hippytea

Member
Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: How to thicken dairy free single cream?

mummza wrote:

Have you tried looking in some of the 'Health / Wholefood shops' when I had to buy fairy free for a friend I found they sold more than the supermarket .

I should hope all cream is fairy free. Or am I naive? Is this set to be the next food ethics scandal?

    Likes (0)

#9 Sun 03 Feb 13 2:07am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: How to thicken dairy free single cream?

well you know  non-fairy cream is essential if you are brownie intolerant.  whistle


The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#10 Sun 03 Feb 13 9:58am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: How to thicken dairy free single cream?

Ashen wrote:

well you know  non-fairy cream is essential if you are brownie intolerant.  whistle

lol  lol  lol

oh dear I do some great ( as my family call them) lex-it-up 's  lol  lol  lol  problem is I don't recognise I have written then till they are pointed out !

    Likes (0)

Powered by PunBB