forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#821 Sun 03 Feb 13 2:16am

henry.wong.148

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

kathrine pelosi wrote:

Thank you for getting in touch with me, just trying to make carrying your shopping home trendy and stylish but also thinking about improving the trolley so i think you are right, they would have to be very strong and hardy so the consumer is getting good value for money.

Thank you for giving your opinion

Speaking as an engineer. You can design it so it's foldable yet strong. Hope this helps

Likes (0)

#822 Sun 03 Feb 13 2:02pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

cookdoc wrote:

Hey Jamie. I'm a newbee to cooking, so I apologize for dumb questions.
When making recipes that call for canned tomatoes (doing a lot of Italian lately, and no fresh toms available) whether whole, chopped or crushed, many (not you) don't specify whether to reserve and use, or the toss out the juice or liquod that also comes in the can. Any advice?

Also, check out cool vegetarian/vegan blog "Let The Good In."

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

cookdoc

welcome to the forum  coocdoc  smile

I always use the juice as well unless it specifies to strain the tomatoes.

Likes (0)

#823 Sun 03 Feb 13 6:10pm

CWin78

Occupation Home Care Provider
From Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Member since Tue 08 Jan 13

Hello Jamie!

When you were here in Canada at the Marylin Denis Show,you listed Pantry Essentials and the like.

My question is in regards to the 5 Spice Powder you mentioned, there is a Chinese/Asian 5 spice and a Eastern India (Bengali or Panch Phoron) 5 spice which one were you referring to?

On a personable note, thanks to living with my British grandparents and solely watching BBC and BBC Canada all the passion I had for food and cooking for the family came directly from you and The Naked Chef in '98-99. Having lost my passion years ago through terrible family issues I stopped cooking, now many, many years later having once again been lucky enough to enjoy watching you on a variety of t.v shows here in Canada, again with the passion for cooking and good food that many don't share for life let alone food, it has made me want to pick up the knives for me and my family.

One day Sir Jamie, I hope and pray for 15 minutes, perhaps a 15 minute meal?, and the chance of a lifetime to look you in the eyes and say without hesitation, "Thank you Mr.Oliver for making my life so much better!!!"  thumbsup 

Until then, All the best to you and yours for continued success, health and happiness!

Truly,

Colin Winship
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Likes (0)

#824 Mon 04 Feb 13 11:57am

rachaelwarps

Member since Mon 04 Feb 13

Gidday Jamie
I dont want to ask a question but just wante to make more of a statement!  I tried to send an email but I was too restricted with how many words I could type  sad

I have been an avid fan since I saw you cooking on the Naked Chef many years ago.  You have inspired me over the years to cook meals that are tasty and enjoyable to create.  I praise your efforts in encouraging everyone out there to enjoy the pleasures of food and creating a meal that is fantastic to eat and easy to prepare.

I received your 15 min meal recipe book for xmas in 2012 and since coming back from holidays (we were away during Jan) I have cooked 2 meals and so far 2 out of 2 have tasted pretty darn fine!!  What an assult on the taste buds!  The recipes are soooo easy to follow, the food is soooo nutricious AND it hasnt broken the bank balance!  I can get everything that is listed in the ingredients list at my local supermarket or our farmers market.

This post is to just let you know that you really nailed it with this book Jamie and I congratulate you on a job well done.  Not only have you created an easy to follow recipe book (and beleive you me I have tried ALOT of recipe books over the years) but you blew this one out of the water!  My kids loved it, hubby loved it and I most certainly enjoyed making the meals.  You have put a new lease of life into our evening meals again!

I also received your DVD on 30 min meals and cant wait to check out a few of those recipes.  The DVDs are great because you show the veiwer little 'cheffy' tips that you dont otherwise see in a recipe book!

Keep up the campaign on offering the public a service with your expertise in the kitchen Jamie, it really DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE - and I hope I am not the only one telling you that!

We exercise regularly, enjoy family holidays, don't smoke and live an average lifestyle like the rest of the population but we do beleive that food is a LUXURY YOU CAN AFFORD and once again you nailed it with your recipe book!

Thanx again Jamie - its pure gold!  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#825 Mon 04 Feb 13 10:33pm

janetkay1

Member since Mon 04 Feb 13

In your 30 minute cook book there is a recipie for Bonofee Pie.   It requires Camp Coffee.    Have tried but cann't find it anywhere in Australia.   Is there something I can substitute?

Likes (0)

#826 Tue 05 Feb 13 3:21am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Welcome to the forums, Janetkay.

My Dad used to drink that. It was a liquid, treacly concoction that was heavy on chicory. Bushells used to make it. Haven't seen it for years but then I haven't looked for it hmm. Check in the tea/coffee aisle at the supermarket.

Sorry, I'm not much help, am I?

Good luck  crossed

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#827 Tue 05 Feb 13 4:50pm

karenlesley

Occupation Retired
From Blandford Forum, Dorset
Member since Sun 26 Sep 10

Hi JanetKay, can you get a coffee essence where you are? If not just  make a strong coffee syrup - use instant coffee or instant esspreso powder, you'll probably need a couple of teaspoons to get the strength.
Hope this helps
Karen big_smile

Likes (0)

#828 Tue 05 Feb 13 8:56pm

Zara_new25

Member since Sun 03 Feb 13

Hello, please can someone help me find a recipe, from around 4 years ago. It was in the news of the world Sunday magazine. It was Jamie Oliver's 'coconut macaroon brownie' I have searched everywhere and can not find it. Being as this was one of my favourite deserts I have ever made please can someone help me find it again.
Thank you
Zara
hmm

Likes (0)

#829 Tue 05 Feb 13 9:13pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

karenlesley wrote:

Hi JanetKay, can you get a coffee essence where you are?

The Bushells goop is a coffee essence but if you can't get it, do as Karenlesley suggests.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#830 Wed 06 Feb 13 4:27pm

karenlesley

Occupation Retired
From Blandford Forum, Dorset
Member since Sun 26 Sep 10

Hello Zara, If you google 'coconut macaroon brownies' you will find several recipies suggested - I don't know if any of them are the 'Jamie' one, but you should be able to find something that suits.
Karen

Likes (0)