forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 22 Jan 13 12:49pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Mutton /winter

Thanks mummza.  Unfortunately, I'm housebound and couldn't even get to Cardiff.

Also, I've always wanted to try salt marsh fed lamb.  No sign of it in these parts.  It is considered by many to the finest lamb ever.

Incidentally @nGoose1, I've never heard of Welsh Blacks, only Welsh Black Beef.  I lived close to Dartmoor for 42 years and Devon Spring Lamb is wonderful.  Again, I've never heard of Dartmoor lamb.  Usually comes under the heading of Devon Spring Lamb,

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 22 Jan 13 2:36pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

what I was thinking was if the person who did your shopping might go into a similar shop where you live and fetch you some mutton.
Salt marsh lamb I think you can get at some farmers markets when its avalible.

I think the Welsh blacks are the black mountain sheep .

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 22 Jan 13 2:40pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

The person who does my shopping, mummza, is Mr Tesco, lol.

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 22 Jan 13 2:47pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

on no..... that no good ...Mr Tesco wont be off to the shops  too search out mutto for you !

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 27 Jan 13 7:59pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

T.D.
Any ones guess what Mr. Tesco will give you, probably New Zealand. Nice place, nice people. But the lamb is god knows what from god knows where. Unless of course you are in New Zealand and you know the product and its origin.Hugh Fearnley's words, I agree with them. I must say, Tesco has a bad rep at late with products and origin.
As for those kippers.
For the sheep breed:
http://www.blackwelshmountain.org.uk/
My friends ones, are now old enough to be called Mutton, they were hogget. I dare say some lamb is in the pipeline in a few months time. It is farmed on Dartmoor, hence the farmer saying it is Dartmoor. They could say it was European, that would be different.
I have also traced the other Mutton farm, also very good.
It’s called  ‘Higherfingle Farm ' Devon ,it does mail order and can be found at Totness and Royal Williams Yard farmers markets.
The well hung meat company also has meat on Dartmoor, via the National Trust, so probably something special there also. They also do mail order.
Good luck getting your meat, last time I could not get good meat, because of factory farming and price. I went vegetarian

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 06 Feb 13 1:15am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Made a mutton tagine on Monday, from Gordon Ramsay's F.Word. Another superb result. The stronger tasting mutton standing up against the spices. I used Ras el Hanout from Bart Spices
http://www.bart-ingredients.co.uk/ingredients
it worked very well. Stock police alert :I used a stock cube, sorry. Make your own if you can. Gordon Ramsay's secrets book has the best stock recipes ever!

Likes (0)