forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Wed 06 Feb 13 9:45pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: A season for Italy

I use pistachio often. The dry but unsalted ones, like Mummza. They rehydrate when added to a "wet" mixture.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#32 Thu 07 Feb 13 10:45am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

sergio1972 wrote:

"A season for Italy"? Wow I had never thought of that, what a brilliant idea. Original and unheard of coming from Jamie.

Boring! yawn  Same ol, same ol'...

P.S. - With all respect to you Mada  smile

good food cannot be boring, with all respect for you Sergio
wink  .......... and I think Italian food is for all seasons  cool  thumbsup  oops  oops  oops  help I'm never so supponente think age age old ... better pass on my pride to my nipotine lol

Likes (0)

#33 Thu 07 Feb 13 2:13pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Grandmadamada wrote:

sergio1972 wrote:

"A season for Italy"? Wow I had never thought of that, what a brilliant idea. Original and unheard of coming from Jamie.

good food cannot be boring, with all respect for you Sergio
wink  .......... and I think Italian food is for all seasons  cool  thumbsup  oops  oops  oops  help I'm never so supponente think age age old ... better pass on my pride to my nipotine lol

I wasnt referring to the food Mada. Of course, its not boring, its rich, with lots of variety. I like it and cook it often.
Nor I'm referring to the country. I've never been to Italy yet, but its among my favourite destinations to go in the future.

So that being said, what I meant to say is that being a fan of JO for maybe some 8 years or so, its been pretty much the same, italian and more italian. With very little exceptions here and there.
And obviously I say this because honestly I dont think portuguese cuisine is that far apart in terms of variety and richness as other cuisines but apparently someone must have built in Jamie's mind an "iron curtain" that goes up untill the border between Portugal and Spain...

Likes (0)

#34 Thu 07 Feb 13 3:19pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

I know you are passionate about Portuguese cuisine Sergio but........

how can I put this ???

Italian food/cuisine has (for whatever reason) a world-wide reputation for it's variety, quality and regionality...

Portugal doesn't...... though it probably should have a much higher profile.

For instance I love many of their wines, which can be on a par with anything else in the world....yet you see only a handful of them over here (Excluding Port)

Yet Italian wines are readily available pretty much anywhere....

I think it's all down to clever marketing.........

Likes (0)

#35 Thu 07 Feb 13 5:26pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

ok ok ok it must be something related to what people around the world have in mind about Italy despite present very bad marketing images related to our most known chiefs ....... I would say better ambassadors are chefs food and feelings smile

Likes (0)

#36 Thu 07 Feb 13 6:31pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

Grandmadamada wrote:

ok ok ok it must be something related to what people around the world have in mind about Italy despite present very bad marketing images related to our most known chiefs ....... I would say better ambassadors are chefs food and feelings smile

I'll be honest, I dont know any italian chef. In fact, I think most of what we call "celebrity chefs" are british.
As to bad marketing images, I suppose that everything that is well spread around the world has pros and cons. And one of the cons is that there is indeed a lot of bad italian food and products around. Fortunately there are also good things!

Likes (0)

#37 Thu 07 Feb 13 6:34pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

wine~o wrote:

I know you are passionate about Portuguese cuisine Sergio but........

how can I put this ???

Italian food/cuisine has (for whatever reason) a world-wide reputation for it's variety, quality and regionality...

Portugal doesn't...... though it probably should have a much higher profile.

For instance I love many of their wines, which can be on a par with anything else in the world....yet you see only a handful of them over here (Excluding Port)

Yet Italian wines are readily available pretty much anywhere....

I think it's all down to clever marketing.........

I cannot disagree with a word you said wine~o. I have the same opinion and I dont blame others for not knowing our food, I blame our own people. We have a lot to do in terms of promoting our products. Like Italy or Spain, we too have unique products. Sometimes I feel like sharing a recipe here and then I think...wait a minute, where are they going to find this specific ingredient??
Nevermind, I just felt like moaning and groaning a bit...
sad

Likes (0)

#38 Thu 07 Feb 13 6:50pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Nice to see you posting, Sergio...

Nothing wrong with wanting to have a good moan and groan occasionally....especially when it's something you feel passionately about...

and when you feel like sharing a recipe...please do...we may not have the "Specific" ingredient...but can probably find something similar as a substitute... big_smile

Likes (0)

#39 Thu 07 Feb 13 11:31pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

we had a large pot of crema pasticcera done by our cuoco Roberto yesterday when meeting to discuss our mistakes, disasters, experiments in our kitchens ...... after a little bowl of that comfort food you would feel better too Sergio wink

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=79672

Last edited by Grandmadamada (Thu 07 Feb 13 11:35pm)

Likes (0)

#40 Fri 08 Feb 13 5:42am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

sergio1972 wrote:

I am sure that there will always be a celebration of Italy in Mr Oliver's food Calender .
Jamie's Italian is a chain of restaurants the he and Gennaro Contaldo set up  , Gennaro was Mr Olivers mentor and is a great friend of his.
Fifteen serves  wonderful Italian cuisine .
So it seems that Italian cuisine is something that features heavily in Mr Olivers life.

Also it has to be mentioned here that Mr Gennaro Contaldo has recently received a certificate of recognition from the Italian government for his contribution to Italian food .

We all know from the different TV shows that Mr Oliver makes that he is simply passionate about food and loves the discovery of something he has not seen or tried before. But Italian cuisine has always seemed to play a big part in his culinary life so it's only right it gets celebrated.

As wine-I says Italian cuisine is known about world wide and easily recognisable , most people know how to cook pasta , but if they don't cook it themselves , they eat it ! (Ok there are a few people who don't like pasta but they are in a definate minority ) .

outside of Portugal there seems to be little known about the cuisine .
I know if I think of Portugal , I think hills , beautiful dunshine , beaches and countryside , wine,  as I know portugese wine is good .. And fish ! As I know quite a lot of fish gets eaten !!!
But I know little else , sorry .

Likes (0)