Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 06 Feb 13 11:32am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Greek food, with love

ok , thanks cannyfradock , I will see about getting the book to you soon.

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 06 Feb 13 1:26pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Try this trick to turn you ordinary weeknight chicken soup into a special greek treat.  Make it an avgolemono (greek for egg and lemon).  Start with your basic chicken stock and add whatever pasta you like - I prefer orzo.

Use 1 lemon and 1 egg per quart of broth.  Make sure the lemon and the egg are room temperature.  In a sturdy bowl beat the egg until smooth and add the lemon juice.  Now slowly drizzle in hot broth and keep whisking the egg mixture to temper the egg.  When the mixture has come up to the same temperature as the stock add the mix into the pot and stir.  Strain if necessary.  This will thicken and flavor the broth and make it very creamy.

Last edited by koukouvagia (Wed 06 Feb 13 1:26pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 06 Feb 13 1:45pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I love avgolemono soup .. I think one of the first topics I ever started was asking for tips and recipes for it.  yummy   I didn't even know how to spell it. ..

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 14#p181614

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#14 Wed 06 Feb 13 3:16pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Just looked at your link Ashen. Rofon's method is the same as my in-laws' and they use/used rice rather than pasta (but orzo or risoni might as well be rice given their shape and size).

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#15 Thu 07 Feb 13 1:28pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Ashen wrote:

I love avgolemono soup .. I think one of the first topics I ever started was asking for tips and recipes for it.  yummy   I didn't even know how to spell it. ..

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 14#p181614

I responded to that thread.  Avgolemono is trial and error to find what suits you.  I grew up not liking avgolemono soup.  It was just ok.  My mother made it with rice and only one egg for an entire stock pot.  It didn't do much for me.  When I started making it myself I found that by using pasta instead of rice it made the soup thicker and by using more eggs it made it creamier.  I use the whole eggs though not just the yolks. 

Ashen, if you like avgolemono you might love giouvarlakia.  It is chicken avgolemono with the addition of little meatballs.  The meatballs are made with:

- 1/2 lb pork 1/2 lb beef ground
- 1 cup raw rice
- bread crumbs
- grated onion
- egg for binder
- lots of chopped fresh mint and parsley.
- salt/pepper

Lower the meatballs gently into the hot stock.  They will poach, keep your stock at a low simmer so that the meatballs don't break.  Once they have firmed up and cooked through temper the egg/lemon.  Don't go skimpy on the mint, it's the most important ingredient.

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 09 Feb 13 1:35pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Am I the only one who enjoys greek food?

We had a terrible snow storm here last night, we only got a foot of snow but the winds were blizzard-like.  It felt appropriate to make a stew but we didn't want to eat meat.  I made a green bean stew and it was marvelous.

In a dutch oven pour in plenty of olive oil.  Sweat onions and garlic and chopped tomatoes.  Add a few  chunks of red skinned potatoes and all the green beans.  Season.  Slowly simmer, keep it covered and add a little more water if it seems to lose moisture.  Stir carefully so as not to break up the potatoes.  It should be ready in about an hour, these are stewed green beans not crunchy!  Serve with crusty bread.  I actually like serving this on top of toasted bread, my own version of "beans and toast"  cool

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 09 Feb 13 6:04pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

The fava dish is one of my favorites.  We had it on Hydra a few years ago and I have been meaning to make it at home ever since.  I also love Horta.  I really like Greek salad and spanakopita - why not?  A Greek friend makes a dish from one of the islands, can't remember which - it's basically an empanada with a buttery yeast dough and the filling is cheese and spinach - top secret recipe, so he won't tell me what's in it, but it's so good, he should market it.

We ate in a restaurant that serves Cretan cuisine in Athens which was excellent.  The client who took us ordered and got a big array so we could try many dishes.

I loved the grilled fish we had in Greece, so fresh, simple and the fishmerman's fish soup, forgive me, I don't know the Greek name for it.  I also love stuffed peppers with rice and baklava and souvlaki and . . . .

I like feta and Greek oregano and the quality of the olive oil is great in Greece.  What also struck me was how the tomatoes tasted like home-grown and they probably were coming right out of the garden of the restaurant owner in some cases.

One of our best memories was having homemade Greek yogurt with fresh strawberries and honey for breakfast, sitting outside at a small cafe in the port of Mikonos.  You could see so many star fish and other creatures in those clear waters.

I loved visiting Greece.  The first time we went was on our honeymoon to Athens and Mikonos and we toured Delos, we also made it to Delphi and a few other places around the mainland.  Greek honey is superb too.

I've wanted to visit Crete, hopefully we will one day.  I also would like to see Korfu because of reading about it in Gerald Durrell's books.  We glimpsed it from the port from our ferry.  I would also like to go to Santorini, but with my recent injury, I am not sure I would like the steep climbs.

I think we had the green bean stew, I just can not remember where.  Love it!

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 09 Feb 13 6:10pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 09 Feb 13 10:17pm

Maree

Forum super champ

My in-laws would make the bean dish often. Mainly we'd eat fish (and fish soup using the heads and all- loved it), seafood and lamb, of course. I love spanikopita and the ubiquitous "Greek" salad.

I used to make kourembeides (sp) for Christmas. I really miss Greek Easter. My father-in-law would make a delicious side with chicken livers and walnuts.

Souvlaki eaten from a truck stop on the side of the road on the way to Athens- yum!

Corfu was full of Brits, Germans, Aussies and Kiwis but it was high Summer so the locals had probably fled to make way for/escape from the tourists.

Good times, good food. Thanks for the memories thumbsup

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 10 Feb 13 1:16pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Don't get me wrong, I love spanakopita and greek salad... although in greece it's just known as "salad" lol.  But it's a lot like Italy in the sense that all the food is regional.

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 10 Feb 13 1:32pm

Maree

Forum super champ

"Greek" salad as opposed to "other" salad wink. Makes perfect sense to this "Skippy" big_smile

Likes (0)