Subscribe to forums RSS

#841 Sat 09 Feb 13 11:18am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Mayo, Ketchup and a splash of worcestershire sauce...

Likes (0)

#842 Sat 09 Feb 13 11:23am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

That's basically Marie Rose, isn't it? Sorry, I've never made it and hadn't even heard of it until my last trip to the UK. Here, something similar is known (to me) as seafood (cocktail) sauce but I don't use it/like it. Use mayo at the most on seafood. Usually just lemon or lime juice.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#843 Sun 10 Feb 13 6:10am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Everyone loves my FILs version of this

Mayo, ketchup, Tabasco, Worcestershire, and lemon juice.

Likes (0)

#844 Sun 10 Feb 13 9:11am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I love it when we back into topics where questions are location dependant.
If you asked for seafood sauce here you would either get a remoulade/tartare sauce or a seafood cocktail sauce. Remoulade/tartare are pretty standard but the seafood cocktail sauce here is basically a  3/2/1 ratio of a  base of ketchup ,  prepared horseradish, lemon juice.  If  you want you can add a dash of hot sauce like tabasco.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#845 Sun 10 Feb 13 9:15am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Thanks for the inputs folks.  Not sure about the tabasco.  The bought one I have (Coleman's) is on the sweet side and I like it.  Wouldn't want it spicy.  Tomato paste is used in my bought one.  Think it'll be a question of trial and error until I get it right.
Thanks again.

Likes (0)

#846 Tue 12 Feb 13 11:14pm

cookdoc

Member since Wed 30 Jan 13

wine~o wrote:

Hi, Cookdoc...As Jamie is rather busy at the moment, may I take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum ...

And, Yes, unless the recipe specifically tells you not to add the juice, then the entire contents of the can go in...

thanks for getting back to me. appreciate the info. btw, I live across the pond in the US.

Likes (0)

#847 Wed 13 Feb 13 7:29am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

MsPablo wrote:

lestat_68 wrote:

Thank you Maree, i was looking for more information based in the word "rostisserie" and now i have an idea very clear about it. I think Jamie used in that recipe a mechanical device to rotate the spit slowly, it semmed like an old device, maybe made with an old clock mechanism. 
Best regards, and thank you again.
L big_smile estat

I remember that show.  He had an old clock turning the spit which he claimed was an antique find or as we say, 'flea market find'.  You might find a modern spit is more affordable and easier to clean.

That was shown a long time ago here in the UK
It wasn't a clock but some other wind up mechanism that was pretty old . It was driven by what is called a clock-work mechanism as you wind it up with some sort of key .
I did ,at the time the program was shown, manage to find a picture of something similar on the Internet .
I will try to remember to look again later when I am on the main computer as I'm posting from my phone at the moment.

Likes (0)

#848 Wed 13 Feb 13 7:37am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Ashen wrote:

I love it when we back into topics where questions are location dependant.
If you asked for seafood sauce here you would either get a remoulade/tartare sauce or a seafood cocktail sauce. Remoulade/tartare are pretty standard but the seafood cocktail sauce here is basically a  3/2/1 ratio of a  base of ketchup ,  prepared horseradish, lemon juice.  If  you want you can add a dash of hot sauce like tabasco.

Tartare sauce is something that is traditionally eaten with fish here as well Ashen ,  years ago it was always mentioned on the cooking shows , in books and magazines but nowadays you don't here it mentioned much at all.

That seafood 3.2.1. Sauce sounds pretty hot to me Ashen , that's a lot of horseradish in it . Here in the UK ,with most Horseraddish sauces here you just have a little bit on the side of your plate with roast beef .( a bit like a 'hot' mustard ) I don't think you'd need any Tabasco lol
Creamed Horseraddish is a milder sauce .

Last edited by mummza (Wed 13 Feb 13 7:39am)

Likes (0)

#849 Wed 13 Feb 13 7:46am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Thistledo wrote:

Thanks for the inputs folks.  Not sure about the tabasco.  The bought one I have (Coleman's) is on the sweet side and I like it.  Wouldn't want it spicy.  Tomato paste is used in my bought one.  Think it'll be a question of trial and error until I get it right.
Thanks again.

You might find uncooked tomato paste a little bitter to use in a 'seafood sauce ' ( like the sort of seafood sauce you can buy.) I think most times it's a splash of tomato ketchup that people use added to some mayonnaise with a little seasoning and a sometimes a squeeze of lemon juice .
It's not something that I make and so can only go by what I have seen other people mix together .
I used to have a friend who made a little in a dish when she wanted some , she made jury enough for what she wanted to use at the time and always called in ' pink mayonnaise ' !

Likes (0)

#850 Wed 13 Feb 13 9:02am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

mummza wrote:

Tartare sauce is something that is traditionally eaten with fish here as well Ashen ,  years ago it was always mentioned on the cooking shows , in books and magazines but nowadays you don't here it mentioned much at all.

Tartare is also eaten with fish here but not with seafood/shellfish. See it more with takeaways rather than "fine dining", though. Think it's seen as a bit old-fashioned. Since everything "old is new again" and there's a bit of a retro vibe going on, no doubt it'll come back into "fashion".

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)