forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 12 Feb 13 7:19pm

lestat_68

Occupation Industrial Engineer
From Puebla, México
Member since Wed 06 Feb 13

Dinnertime with children !!!

Hello everybody, my wife "battle" with my 2 sons every night because of they want to have dinner always the same foods. I have an agreement with her and from this week I will work on it. I will cook everynight the supper and I was looking for new recipes for easy or practical foods and at the same time that it will be appetizing for my children (5 and 10 years old).
Maybe in this forum you can recommend me about some recipes. *** Please remember, in Mexico the dinnnertime it's a little different that the dinnertime in another countries, in Mexico this food is lighter, like a Sandwich or eggs, a glass of milk and cookies like complement.
Thanks a lot  yummy  wink

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 12 Feb 13 7:37pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Dinnertime with children !!!

welcome to the forum lestat_68  smile

The first thing that I want to say is please dont battle with your children about food, the more you do the more it will happen and everyone will be miserable.
Once food becomes an issue then it often remains an issue.

My children ate the same foods as we did, we used to cook the food and put it into the center of the table and the children would serve themselves .
we used to have a cooked meal in the evenings as they did not eat much in the day at school .
we all sat around the table together and I think this was one of the most important things, eating together as a family , no television , no books , no toys were allowed at the table , just a lot of fun chatter.

My advice is to envolve the children in the cooking and the shopping for the meal.
They might maon a biit to start with but if its fun and they find that they are able to make food others will enjoy then they stat to eat better.

There is no point in making huge changes to their diets in one go as this will just cause ore conflict , just try to make little changes every so often and this way they get used to the new flavours .

what sort of things do the children like to eat ?

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 12 Feb 13 8:11pm

lestat_68

From Puebla, México

Hello mummza, thank you for all your advices, sure it will be very useful in this new process. My children like to eat specially fruits, cereals and pastas, but they really eat almost everything, and as you said, they eat the same food that my wife and i eat. Maybe we must to work the variety or the variability in the meals and recipes.

Thank you

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 12 Feb 13 8:30pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

thats good lestat_68 , I think that the key thing in getting them to eat other things is to get them involved and don't let food become an issue.
Take them food shopping with you and ask their opinions of the foods as they shop and get them to choose things. I know that has helped others.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 12 Feb 13 8:51pm

lestat_68

From Puebla, México

ok, I understand, it´s like the first rule to get in love to someone "involve the person".
now sure the next shopping will be specially with the help of my children.
best regards.
big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 13 Feb 13 12:42pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Something that works very well in my family is setting a weekly menu.  For example,

Thursday is soup night - each week it's a different kind of soup.  Sometimes it's chicken soup, other times it's lentil soup, or tomato soup. There is variation, but the kids can take comfort in knowing it will always be soup. 

Friday can be pasta night - any kind of pasta, always the same but always something different.

Wednesday is salad day - each person gets to make their own salad with their own choice of ingredients. My choices are lettuce, cucumber, avocado, sunflower seeds, peas, carrots, and a few kidney beans.  My husband likes lettuce, tomatoes, parmesan cheese, red peppers, corn and olives. 

Monday is always a meat-free day.  One day a week we do a wild-card which means we can eat anything we want or go out for dinner.

Kids love to have schedules, they respond very well to forming habits.  They will have the security of knowing that Tuesday is seafood night - but every week it will be different.  I hope that helps.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 13 Feb 13 4:31pm

lestat_68

From Puebla, México

Thank you very much koukouvagia, the weekly menu is an excellent idea and I think that I can implement it this same week, so I just choose the ingredient for the soup or the sauce or ingredients for the pasta. With this option I know for sure the kind of meal for every day and my children can help me just to find the ingredients for every week.

This space is very special, in two days I have recieved two excellent advices to become our dinnertime in an special dinnertime.
1. The food is not an issue and the children are envolved in the shopping / cooking
2. Use a defined weekly menu

regards clap

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 13 Feb 13 9:36pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Hola! Por que  oops what is/are the same foods you sons like?

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 14 Feb 13 12:01am

lestat_68

From Puebla, México

Sorry, I was wrong about the way I wrote the sentence in my first post. The problem is my children DON´t like to eat always the same food, i mean, they want variety in the meals
mrgreen 
in spite of my mistake in these sentence, the advices until now are very useful

Regards

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 14 Feb 13 7:32pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Hi lestat_68 welcome to the forums.

I like to ask my children what they would like to eat in the coming week.  It's always good to have someone make a suggestion as you tend to get more variety.  Sometimes they even surprise you.  Only this week when I asked them, my 12 year old son said salad!  Not a thing you would normally expect a child to suggest big_smile

Good luck.

Likes (0)