forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#861 Fri 15 Feb 13 9:36am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Ask me a cooking question

there are some pretty interesting  old mechanical rostisserie designs but I havn't been able to find anyone who is making new commercially available ones  .

here is a few links to pics of the old ones I have found.

this is a counterweight clockwork one.. you wind up the rope and a lead weight slowly pulls it down while the gearing and flywheel let you adjust the speed the spit turns

http://www.culinarycuriosity.org/images … C_0290.jpg

and illustration of someone using something similar.

http://www.culinarycuriosity.org/images … -large.jpg

this is something called a bottlejack.. it would dangle down in front of the fire and the meat would hang down from it and spin under it. 

http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfg … t_jack.jpg

illustration of giving a general idea of how it works.  it would hang down in front of the fire and spin the food around.  fat could be draped over the hooks above the meat to baste it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … e-jack.PNG

ingenious mechanisms .. I wish someone would start making them again.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#862 Fri 15 Feb 13 10:26am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

mummza wrote:

Maree wrote:

mummza wrote:

Tartare sauce is something that is traditionally eaten with fish here as well Ashen ,  years ago it was always mentioned on the cooking shows , in books and magazines but nowadays you don't here it mentioned much at all.

Tartare is also eaten with fish here but not with seafood/shellfish. See it more with takeaways rather than "fine dining", though. Think it's seen as a bit old-fashioned. Since everything "old is new again" and there's a bit of a retro vibe going on, no doubt it'll come back into "fashion".

That's interesting it's also fallen out of fashion here but it's the restaurants where you mostly see it now , fresh made to go with pieces of fish .

You also see it those little individual sachets (in cafes / budget hotel  chains  etc )but it does not really resemble tartare sauce at all if you dare to try the sachets, even if it  is called tartare sauce  !

Sorry for over-using quotes but I couldn't see any way around it to make sense, if that makes sense.

Those little sachets are what I was referring to with the observation about takeaways/takeouts. Also seen in jars at the supermarket.  It is vile, isn't it?

If it was at a half-decent restaurant or cafe/bistro it would be called "remoulade" as was on the menu at one of the cafes around the corner this week. "Tartare sauce" would not sell "gourmet" burgers because, I think, "tartare sauce" is now equated with goop in little individual sachets hmm.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#863 Fri 15 Feb 13 2:52pm

ana.cecilia.908347

Member since Fri 15 Feb 13

Hi Jamie,
I'm from Brazil, Rio de Janeiro and love all about your way of cooking. I watch all your TV shows since the first...
( Sorry about my english writting)
I stayed at Fifteen Restaurant last month and it was a lovely time.
Everything was perfect!
Congratulations!
I ate a desert named " Warm Vialone rice pudding with apple compote and aniseed crumble" and I loved it so much!
Can I have this recipe please?
Thank you very much.
Ana Cecília

Likes (0)

#864 Fri 15 Feb 13 3:57pm

lestat_68

Occupation Industrial Engineer
From Puebla, México
Member since Wed 06 Feb 13

mummza wrote:

lestat_68 wrote:

hippytea wrote:

lestat_68, you could call it a rotisserie - but it is also called a clockwork spit roaster or clockwork roasting spit ("spit" is the word for the long rotating skewer you attach the meat to).

I wouldn't try and get one exactly the same as Jamie has in the show (was "Jamie at Home" if I remember rightly) as it was an antique and would be difficult to find. But try Googling, you might find something similar. You may have better luck Googling these terms than "rotisserie", as that can mean a number of different devices, including electric ones.

Thank you hippytea, i hope at least to find something similar to these clockwork spit roaster. The idea is to cook in my garden in a hole at red hot embers... maybe a little pig or a pork leg.
Best regards
big_smile

I have been looking on the Internet , I haven't found a clockwork version of the spit but there are plenty of battery powered portable versions available and even more that seem to be plugged into a power source.

At the moment here in the Uk 'hog roasts' are popular at events so you could also look up equipment for hog roasts as well .  thumbsup

Thank you mummza, i will look for "hog roasts"
Best regards and have a nice weekend.
wink

Likes (0)

#865 Fri 15 Feb 13 5:18pm

lestat_68

Occupation Industrial Engineer
From Puebla, México
Member since Wed 06 Feb 13

Ashen wrote:

there are some pretty interesting  old mechanical rostisserie designs but I havn't been able to find anyone who is making new commercially available ones  .

here is a few links to pics of the old ones I have found.

this is a counterweight clockwork one.. you wind up the rope and a lead weight slowly pulls it down while the gearing and flywheel let you adjust the speed the spit turns

http://www.culinarycuriosity.org/images … C_0290.jpg

and illustration of someone using something similar.

http://www.culinarycuriosity.org/images … -large.jpg

this is something called a bottlejack.. it would dangle down in front of the fire and the meat would hang down from it and spin under it. 

http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfg … t_jack.jpg

illustration of giving a general idea of how it works.  it would hang down in front of the fire and spin the food around.  fat could be draped over the hooks above the meat to baste it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … e-jack.PNG

ingenious mechanisms .. I wish someone would start making them again.

Thank you Ashen, the pics are very interesting. With all these ideas, for sure, my little project will find a good solution.
Have a nice weekend wink

Likes (0)

#866 Fri 15 Feb 13 6:43pm

sheila.dickson.33

I would love some great ideas for ravioli fillings WITHOUT any cheese.  I have made a mushroom one so far, and know I can make a meat one, but nearly all recipes I come across include cheese of one sort or another.  Any ideas?

Likes (0)

#867 Fri 15 Feb 13 6:59pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

sheila.dickson.33 wrote:

I would love some great ideas for ravioli fillings WITHOUT any cheese.  I have made a mushroom one so far, and know I can make a meat one, but nearly all recipes I come across include cheese of one sort or another.  Any ideas?

Why ask in another thread, then delete the thread when you get a reply..... angry

Likes (0)

#868 Fri 15 Feb 13 7:25pm

sheila.dickson.33

As it was my first time on this forum (and trying to find my way around) I posted it in the wrong section! Thank you for being SO understanding.

Likes (0)

#869 Fri 15 Feb 13 7:41pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Nope....you were in the right section with your first post......

jamie doesn't answer every question personally....

In the meantime, I'll try to be more understanding of "Newbies" who post a question, get an answer that they they don't like...then delete the thread...

help

Likes (0)

#870 Fri 15 Feb 13 7:49pm

sheila.dickson.33

I never said I didn't like the answer!.....I was going to say 'thank you' for any answers, but got 'told off' before I got the chance to do so.

Likes (0)