Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#861 Sun 17 Feb 13 8:26pm

HannahRP

Member since Mon 11 Feb 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Mummza!

Thank you for your suggestions! I will have a look into them!

I'm very new to online forums so sorry for the late reply, took me a while to figure it all out!!

smile

Likes (0)

#862 Sun 17 Feb 13 11:04pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

sheila.dickson.33 wrote:

I would love some great ideas for ravioli fillings WITHOUT any cheese.  I have made a mushroom one so far, and know I can make a meat one, but nearly all recipes I come across include cheese of one sort or another.  Any ideas?

how large are the raviolo you are making?    A simple one would be to just fill them with leftover homemade meatsauce/bolognese. to work right it needs to be chilled before you fill the ravioli skins.  As long as they are sealed tight I wouldn't worry too much about  adding anything to thicken the sauce. It is quite nice when they are cut into and it comes out.  You can sauce the outside with a light coat of brown butter and garlic.   yummy

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#863 Sun 17 Feb 13 11:42pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

mummza wrote:

Grandmadamada wrote:

looking for "organic" meat in London ................................. :

Oh Grandmadamada , you do worry about what your little nipotina eats , ......................................................................
so don't worry my lovely friend . X

grazie mummza!
big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  I'll forward your suggestions and buon senso to my londoners, I have seen your post only now
grazie ancora thumbsup

Likes (0)

#864 Mon 18 Feb 13 1:26am

sheila.dickson.33

Member since Fri 15 Feb 13

Ashen wrote:

sheila.dickson.33 wrote:

I would love some great ideas for ravioli fillings WITHOUT any cheese.  I have made a mushroom one so far, and know I can make a meat one, but nearly all recipes I come across include cheese of one sort or another.  Any ideas?

how large are the raviolo you are making?    A simple one would be to just fill them with leftover homemade meatsauce/bolognese. to work right it needs to be chilled before you fill the ravioli skins.  As long as they are sealed tight I wouldn't worry too much about  adding anything to thicken the sauce. It is quite nice when they are cut into and it comes out.  You can sauce the outside with a light coat of brown butter and garlic.   yummy

Just making them small size (using a ravioli shaper/press).  I know the filling has to be cool before filling, and I do ensure that each one is well sealed (using my grandmother's little pastry wheel made out of bone). I presumed that adding egg yolk or cheese (cannot use because of allergy) would help to bind any dry ingredients together, and didn't want to make up a sauce every time I cooked a filling, but now realize that as long as there is something else like onions or tomatoes within the mix, it should help to stop the mixture falling apart as I try to fill the pockets.  I like the idea of using some veg that can be mashed down lightly (squash, peppers, courgettes, etc) to add to different meats.  Thank you for your reply.

Likes (0)

#865 Mon 18 Feb 13 2:30am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum sheila.dickson.33

Can I ask .. Are you allergic to milk ?
I know it seems an odd question if you are asking about pasta fillings , but I am thinking about ricotta which can be made easily at home .

For filling ravioli you can add pretty much whatever you like but I have found that its best not to have the filling too wet.

Butternut squash that has been roasted or pan cooked first is a lovely ravioli filling with a bit of chopped sage stirred through it .

I mostly make vegetable fillings for ravioli .
But they vary as to what's in the fridge and I tend to make them up as I go ! oops

Don't worry about deleting he thread that you had before , it's easy to get in a muddle when you first join the forum , I definatly did !
Do stay around and join in other threads or create a few more ov your own and feel free to ask whatever you like , there are a few sections that its best to stick to , but apart from that its pretty easy.

Likes (0)

#866 Mon 18 Feb 13 12:20pm

sheila.dickson.33

Hi mummza
Thank you for your kind words.
Milk is not a problem...I cannot use cheese of any kind, because is doesn't agree with OH. I have just researched Ricotta and it seems to be (basically) just a curdled milk, and not a 'proper' matured cheese, so might try it and see what reaction I get!  I like the thought of using butternut squash.  I know that sweet potato and chorizo go well together, so that could be another possibility.
Thanks again

Likes (0)

#867 Mon 18 Feb 13 12:33pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Scuse me for putting my 2-penneth in but finely chopped spinach or watercress would be nice mixed in with the Ricotta for your raviolis.

Just a thought!  I'll crawl back into my corner now, lol.

Last edited by Thistledo (Mon 18 Feb 13 12:34pm)

Likes (0)

#868 Mon 18 Feb 13 1:45pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Thistledo wrote:

Scuse me for putting my 2-penneth in but finely chopped spinach or watercress would be nice mixed in with the Ricotta for your raviolis.

I always grate nutmeg over my spinach. Love it!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#869 Mon 18 Feb 13 2:16pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Maree.  Yes, I use just a little grated nutmeg with any cabbage/greens, especially if I'm boiling them, plus a very small knob of butter to give them a sheen.  These tips picked up from my cheffy friend.

Likes (0)

#870 Mon 18 Feb 13 4:22pm

sheila.dickson.33

Was going to add some spinach to the pasta itself.  Anyone ever added some finely chopped nuts to filling to give it a little 'bite'?

Likes (0)