forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 24 Feb 13 9:33pm

CatyL

Occupation Free Lance Editor
From San Francisco CA
Member since Mon 26 Apr 10

Salad thoughts for a duck dinner

A friend is holding her annual duck dinner on Thursday, Feb. 28.  My assignment is salad, and I'd like to do something different.

-- The only thing that I know about her method for cooking duck (aside from it being delicious), is that it's braised.  It was her mother's recipe, and she promised to share it with those of us who clamor for it, on her death bed.  She's in great health, so it may be a while.

-- When she has dinners, the various dishes are light, and uncomplicated ... nothing in heavy sauces/dressings.  That MAY account for her good health.

-- Another guest's assignment is for a "side," which she told me will involve lentils/legumes.  I don't want the salad to be redundant.

I'll welcome any thoughts.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 24 Feb 13 10:20pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Salad thoughts for a duck dinner

I opt for incorporating citrus into salads accompanying duck (and pork) to counteract the richness of the meat. One I've used is avocado and segmented orange. Don't know if that would help.

Oh, OK, just re-read and the duck is to be braised. Leave out the avocado, keep the citrus and use with baby spinach and toasted pine nuts?

Hope it goes well crossed

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#3 Sun 24 Feb 13 10:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I was just going to suggest pink grapefruit added to sone fresh little leaves, but be sure to remve all the thin skin from the segments .
so I am with Maree about the cutrus in salads to g with the duck.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 24 Feb 13 10:53pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Great minds, Mummza  wink  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 25 Feb 13 6:32am

CatyL

Occupation Free Lance Editor
From San Francisco CA
Member since Mon 26 Apr 10

Thank you, both.  A citrus base is an excellent thought.  Some lovely "tangelos," are available, now.   I may go in that direction.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 25 Feb 13 6:50am

Maree

Forum super champ

You're welcome smile

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 25 Feb 13 1:09pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Something that might work really well is a fresh fennel salad with citrus dressing.  Slice the fennel very finely.  Add a little fresh chopped parsley, some thin slices of a tart apple, a few sprinkles of pomagranite seeds, and chopped pecans.  The dressing is made from olive oil, the juice of a lemon, the juice of an orange, salt and pepper.  Yum, the fennel is sweet, the pecans are a slightly bitter, the apple is tart and the citrus dressing brings it altogether.  This is my go to salad for Thanksgiving dinners but it would work well with duck.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 25 Feb 13 2:34pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I'm not so sure about the citrus. If you don't know what other sides there are, I'd think there's a danger citrus might argue with the other flavours.

But I definitely think fruit is a good way to go for a salad to serve with duck. What about plums or apricots?

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 25 Feb 13 2:36pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

spinach and strawberries make a great salad

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 25 Feb 13 4:04pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

hippytea wrote:

I'm not so sure about the citrus. If you don't know what other sides there are, I'd think there's a danger citrus might argue with the other flavours.

But I definitely think fruit is a good way to go for a salad to serve with duck. What about plums or apricots?

What do you mean?  Orange and duck are traditionally paired together.

Likes (0)