#11 Mon 25 Feb 13 8:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Salad thoughts for a duck dinner

hippytea wrote:

I'm not so sure about the citrus. If you don't know what other sides there are, I'd think there's a danger citrus might argue with the other flavours.

But I definitely think fruit is a good way to go for a salad to serve with duck. What about plums or apricots?

you dont need much citrus fruit in with little leaves for it to become something special , just a bit to lift the salad into something delicious.

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 25 Feb 13 9:18pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Koukouvagia: yes, citrus will go with the duck. My concern is whether it will go with the other side dishes, as we don't know what they are.

I just think that a less emphatic fruit flavour might be a safer bet when you don't know what else is going to be on the plate.

Mummza has a point, though. You can get away with lemon juice and zest in almost any situation; lime and orange slightly less so, but if it's reasonaby subtle, sure. I'm just picturing big honking slabs of grapefruit or similar, and thinking that context will be a factor in whether that works or not...

Last edited by hippytea (Mon 25 Feb 13 9:22pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 25 Feb 13 9:23pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

as

A friend is holding her annual duck dinner on Thursday

and you are unsure which way to go with the salad....why not phone and ask which suggestion your friend is happiest to go with...

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 25 Feb 13 10:38pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I just think of all fruits that a bit of citrus juice is compatible with so many other foods.  You can't go wrong.

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 25 Feb 13 11:20pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

no not 'great honking slabs of grapefruit ',once the pink grapefruit segments are peeled they can be easily broken and scatered in with the leaves , not much is needed as the salad needs to be balanced so that not one flavour will dominate and that they all work together to make something delicious.

Last edited by mummza (Mon 25 Feb 13 11:21pm)

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 25 Feb 13 11:32pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

CatyL wrote:

A friend is holding her annual duck dinner on Thursday, Feb. 28.  My assignment is salad, and I'd like to do something different.

-- Another guest's assignment is for a "side," which she told me will involve lentils/legumes.  I don't want the salad to be redundant.

I'll welcome any thoughts.

So the side/one side will be lentils/legumes- so, earthy.

Don't think segmented citrus is a "great slab". But dress with juice. The pecans go well with baby spinach, in my opinion. Think I'd prefer it to my suggested pine nuts.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#17 Tue 26 Feb 13 12:18am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

what about radicchio rosso and  sliced orange (a few crashed hazelnuts added if you like) or simply boiled spinach scattered with red rubini of pommegranate

I think it's a sirian dish I read about in Claudia Roden's recipes

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 26 Feb 13 12:42am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Both sound good, Mada. The radicchio's bitterness would be a good foil for the richness of the duck and toasted hazelnuts are also wonderful in a salad  thumbsup

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#19 Tue 26 Feb 13 12:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

oh yes,...
hazlenuts , pine nuts ,pecan nuts ,walnuts lightly toasted are always great om salad.

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 26 Feb 13 1:04pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

mummza wrote:

oh yes,...
hazlenuts , pine nuts ,pecan nuts ,walnuts lightly toasted are always great om salad.

I would always check that none of the other guests are Nut allergic beforehand.....

....That's probably because I'm hugely allergic to peanuts...

Likes (0)