Subscribe to forums RSS

#911 Sat 23 Feb 13 11:54pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Nice one, Joy  thumbsup

I have found trying to incorporate "blue" into food using natural food products a challenge, also. Blueberries, as Mummza said, end up purple; a "dirty looking/muddy" purple at that. Oh well ...

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#912 Sun 24 Feb 13 2:26pm

Jekku

From Finland
Member since Mon 18 Feb 13

Hi Jamie!

We are coming to London in summer maybe July with my girlfriend. I wonder if there are some restaurants that you can recommend? I work as a cook in Finland so im really interested in all kind of food smile

Jens

Likes (0)

#913 Sun 24 Feb 13 4:28pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Happy Estonia 95th Anniversary!

Redfox I am making a virtual celebration dish of fresh baked white potato bread (left an hour to cool and then sliced and buttered), with field mushrooms cooked with garlic and butter until they are black and shiny, and served on a beautiful blue plate.

I can't help but garnish with a little fresh picked parsley, I hope that doesn't spoil it's honour to Estonia!

Cheers!

it won´t spoil it at all, Joy! after all,  Estonia is a very green country. even our summer is just green winter, lol. thank you for making that dish!

mmmm, mushrooms! I feel like mushrooms now.

Likes (0)

#914 Sun 24 Feb 13 8:10pm

felicjuh03

Member since Sun 24 Feb 13

Haay all!

About 2 years ago my best friend introduced me to the jamie oliver recipes. I absolutely loved it. A half year later my dad got terminal cancer. My way to comfort him was with a nice meal out of one of my jamie oliver books. 3 months later he unfortunately passed away. 3 months later than that I found an english boyfriend and moved to england. I love living here (especially cause jamie's books are much cheaper and I can really go to his restaurant) but I had to live my best friend back in holland. The last weekend of may she is coming to visit me. I'm going to take her for a meal in jamie's restaurant in Stratford westfield for her birthday.  Now I was wondering of its possible to buy a recipe book signed by jamie. Vause jamie is the passion we share and would be the best present ever!!

X felicia

Likes (0)

#915 Tue 26 Feb 13 12:28pm

Sagiamarimadda

Member since Wed 09 Jan 13

Help! In five days I'll be' catering 30 adults and 10 kids for my daughter first birthday....I'm looking for good suggestions!!! help  crossed  dribble

Likes (0)

#916 Tue 26 Feb 13 1:04pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Sagiamarimadda  wrote:

Help! In five days I'll be' catering 30 adults and 10 kids for my daughter first birthday....I'm looking for good suggestions!!! help  crossed  dribble

my suggestin is keep it simple that way you wont worry too much.

What sort of meat were you wanting to make ?
Party food or a savory buffet ?

Likes (0)

#917 Tue 26 Feb 13 1:59pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Keeping it simple would be the best way to go.  Lots of prepping in advance, ie the day before, etc.

For the grown ups:  A good selection of small wholemeal and white bread rolls and a choice of cold meats,cheese/eggy stuff.  Garlic bread always goes down a treat.  Loads of salads.  Mini cakes of your choice.  All about ease of eating while on your feet.

For the kids:  Jelly sarnies big_smile
Perhaps mini trifles.

Don't wear yourself out.  You'll want to enjoy the party too.

Last edited by Thistledo (Tue 26 Feb 13 2:00pm)

Likes (0)

#918 Tue 26 Feb 13 9:02pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Mini pizzas:

Cut English muffins in half, top with half ketchup/half tomato puree and grated cheese. Add other toppings and grill/broil until cheese is melted.

Quick and easy, and equally good for adults or kids. If you want you can have bowls of toppings and let people top their own, but since you're catering for such large numbers I wouldn't bother - just do a range of toppings and grill them in big batches.

Also worth having finger foods like cut-up fruit, cheese, mini sausages, little biscuits and so on. Don't forget bowls of crisps (that's how you know you're at a party - bowls of crisps. Still puts me in the party mood). That lot, with or without the pizzas, should work for kids from a year old upwards. The adults will enjoy it too - and why not make a big pan of soup for the grown-ups to have along with the party food? Nothing like soup to feed a crowd substantially with minimal effort.

And don't forget the cake. I'm not even sure it's worth stressing over jelly and ice cream - as long as there's enough cake, it'll all be fine.

Really. Don't stress. IT WILL ALL BE FINE.

Last edited by hippytea (Tue 26 Feb 13 9:03pm)

Likes (0)

#919 Wed 27 Feb 13 12:15am

greta606

Member since Tue 26 Feb 13

Hello,
I have been watching your 15 minute meals on line: and am thoroughly hooked.
I checked a few book stores recently and have not been able to track down '15 Minute Meals' cookbook. Do you have an idea of when this book will be available in Canada?

G
PS. Most ovens here are still in Imperial measure, so metric temperatures are wonky. Last video I watched  was the salad with toasted corn chips and you stated to heat them in a 200*C oven , 400 *F, that was the first time I heard the conversion. Hope book arrives soon, would like to try the recipes!

Likes (0)

#920 Wed 27 Feb 13 12:27am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hello Greta and welcome to the forums: wave:

Yes, double the C temperature to get the F one. So 150C is 300F.

Have you tried Amazon?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)