Jamie Oliver

forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#161 Mon 31 Oct 11 3:36pm

numberonechef

Occupation school kid / wana be chef
From Pembrokeshire, West Wales
Member since Sun 24 Feb 08

Re: Can you give me any top tips on getting started as a chef?

I Have had a dream to become a chef or just have some sort of career in food for all my life, it's all I'v ever wanted to do and if I didnt do it I dont have a clue what I would be doing haha. I'm only 18 and desperately want to make it in this industry, i'v worked soo hard trying to learn as much as possible from different people (including the legendary Rick Stein!) and have recently secured a place at Tante Marie school of cookery. The food industry is without a doubt I think one of the hardest industry's to crack largely down to the long hours and little money.

I'm loving the advice from Jamie up there, he is such an inspiration and hopefully I'll have my name published like him one day haha. Everyone out there who had a similar dream like mine keep going, we'll get there eventually, NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS! if you want something then go and get it people!  smile xxx

Likes (0)

#162 Mon 27 Feb 12 1:19am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

by now you should be a chef big_smile  wink  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#163 Mon 27 Feb 12 6:50pm

Joo Amstalden

Member since Thu 16 Feb 12

Nics tips Jamie, thanks for sharing with us!

I will tell a experience ive passed here in Brazil. We are still getting on in the world of high gastronomy and besides So Paulo, the other cities or states has only few good restaurants or no one at all. I searched for a job in the two most commented in my region, and got in one of them.

The chef is French, and has a good name, but what was my surprise when i find out that he was never in the restaurant, so the kitchen was camanded by a guy with no formation at all that not delegated any tasks. All the food was frozen and the two microwaves works much more than i.

Ive ended up neraly loosing all the passion i have in cooking, scared and thinking if all restaurants would be like that.

So be careful on where you will work for free, cause all can win you can loose too;

Likes (0)

#164 Wed 02 May 12 7:43pm

dorimt

Member since Tue 01 May 12

Hello Everyone

What qualifications are the most sougth in Catering, since there are several in Europe and also which is the most recommended college to go to?

I am from Malta, the small island in the Mediterranean.

Thanks to all and hope to receive some advice from you all.

Dori

Likes (0)

#165 Tue 12 Mar 13 2:22pm

abbitaylorr

Member since Tue 12 Mar 13

please can you all answer my questionnaire for my vegetarian college project, would be much appreciated. thank you.
www.surveymonkey.com/s/L8JPGDQ

Likes (0)

#166 Tue 12 Mar 13 9:53pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

abbitaylorr wrote:

please can you all answer my questionnaire for my vegetarian college project, would be much appreciated. thank you.
www.surveymonkey.com/s/L8JPGDQ

Done smile

Likes (0)

#167 Wed 13 Mar 13 2:40pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Done Dori.  You used to (and may still have) a good catering college in St George's, where I have visited, knowing a chef lecturer who worked there for 2 years.  However, if it's your intention to live in Essex, I would suggest you somewhere like the Harlow council who I'm sure will advise you on who you should contact.

Good hunting.

Likes (0)