Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 15 Mar 13 4:13pm

Cathryn00

Member since Mon 11 Mar 13

Children,s Vegetable Patch

Can anyone recommend a good book I can buy for my 3 yr old and 5 yr old sons to not only get them growing their own veg but to plan it and encourage reading I have done a veg patch before with them but it was a bit hit and miss as I don't really know what I'm doing either ended up with 100s of courgettes and the carrot were inedible. Looking to find out best place to get seeds etc I looked at starter kits but didn't seem to have a wide range of seeds I'm looking into getting polly tunnel etc have a large garden so really looking go for it we are also getting pigs really want to teach my children the benefit of good food as school dinners are not great and they love McDonald's as a treat so want to grow all the things they love ie cucumber broccoli strawberry baby plum tomatoes baby gem lettuce carrots and get them to try new things to any advice would be great but really hoping for a book for them

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 15 Mar 13 9:48pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Children,s Vegetable Patch

Not sure about a book, but if you're growing cherry tomatoes I can recommend Tumbling Tom - the seeds are easy to get, they come in red and yellow, and they grow as little bushes so no faffing about with canes, string etc. They are pretty hardy, too - I have managed to ripen them outdoors on a sunny balcony, so depending where you are you might be able to do them outdoors as well.

Hope that helps, all the best with finding a book. For the best range of seeds, check online. We like the Garden Organic catalogue - they have a great range of squashes, all sorts of  shapes.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 15 Mar 13 11:53pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

What a great idea Cathryn! I hope you find some wonderful books.
This isn't what you wanted, but I am sharing it because it is about cooking the food grown in your garden, and it is a lovely book (Australian): http://www.kitchengardenfoundation.org. … -alexander

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 16 Mar 13 7:47am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Actually, Cathryn, can you give us an idea of where you are and what your climate is like? Which gardening books are relevant depends hugely on your cliimate.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 28 Mar 13 5:37am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi again Cathryn, just incase you come and check this thread again. I found this new resource and thought of you: http://www.kidsafensw.org/growmesafely/
wave

Likes (0)