forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#121 Mon 15 Dec 08 11:19pm

Tsagoi

Occupation Transport
From Brussels
Member since Thu 11 Dec 08

Re: When did you start getting interested in cooking?

Grandmother for sure and her little book of recipes that goes from generation to generation. One of the best cooks I ever met.

Likes (0)

#122 Fri 13 Feb 09 12:35pm

mamilyss

Occupation Future Au Pair in the USA
From Bordeaux, France
Member since Wed 11 Feb 09

I saw my grandmothers and my mother cooking.
With one of my grandmothers, we used to bake Apple Pie or 'Gāteau au yaourt' (once again, i don't know how you call it... yoghurt cake ?). Much later (about 2 years ago), I don't know why but I wanted to know how to prepare the coconut balls you have for dessert in vietnamese restaurants (not very easy), then I discovered the amazing world of culinary blogs and I thought "I want to cook, I'll have my own blog to show people the evolution of my cooking" and now, I just love it !
And everytime I visit the grandmother who I made pies and cakes with, she says "what about doing what you told me you were cooking when I had you on the phone last week ?"

Oh and yes, she gave me that precious old receipe book in which I found little pieces of paper with notes by her mother, her father or herself. Very precious, indeed !!!

Last edited by mamilyss (Fri 13 Feb 09 12:37pm)

Likes (0)

#123 Wed 13 Mar 13 7:25am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Reported

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#124 Wed 13 Mar 13 2:30pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

When I first got married in 1963.  Always been a foodie and I was considered a 'nuisance' if I wanted to help my Mum in the kitchen.  So, with talking and listening to older more experienced colleages at work, my interest kicked in and I've never looked back.

Likes (0)

#125 Sun 17 Mar 13 5:52am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

I got interested...well, it had to become? a necessity of life. living on my own I have to cook for myself. I got interested in health and eco food when I got sick and lost 30 kg of my weight. I had to regain it through something.

Likes (0)

#126 Sun 17 Mar 13 2:52pm

elementsresto

Occupation Consulting
From New York
Member since Mon 04 Feb 13

I never really remember when did I started having interest in cooking. But I love cooking though I never had any formal cooking lessons. I learn cooking through my father when he ask me to cook food for a certain meal. My father has been home cook for many years so he knows a lot about cooking. He would just instruct me how to cook this certain food and what would be the ingredients but never teaches me hands on. Probably that was the beginning of it.

Likes (0)

#127 Mon 18 Mar 13 10:54am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

When I went away to Study in the MidEast just before I started University. The food we were given in the dorms was tasteless Arab stuff.
Well that stuff would probably be very spicy to most people here.
But to us lot it was flavourless and bland.
So we started making our own stuff on a stove we were given to make tea for ourselves.

Likes (0)

#128 Tue 19 Mar 13 7:07pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

I guess it started at my grandma's house when I was a young girl.  She always had something baking in the oven and a hot pot of soup on the stove.  I actually found a couple of cookbooks she had gotten when i was small.  They are Snoopy and the Peanuts gang ones.  They are actually really cute for a little kid.  Its full of simple little recipes and lunch bag treats.  I wish she was still alive, she had a lot of recipes that i would love to know.

Likes (0)