forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 05 Dec 08 3:21pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Other Maltese recipes: Rabbit, Potatoes and Maltese bread

To get the underside of bread browned you can bake it on a pizza stone (well preheated for at least 1/2 hour).

If you have a fan assisted oven turn off the fan. I find that my conventional oven browns things more.

The egg wash will give a lot of color too. So omitting that will result in considerably lighter color.

And if your bread was not cooked through you may have to leave it in for longer (or/and crank up the temperature a bit).

Last edited by SusanneH (Fri 05 Dec 08 3:23pm)

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 05 Dec 08 3:22pm

cryo75

From Germany
Member since Fri 30 Sep 05

thanks for the tips!

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 05 Dec 08 3:24pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I hope it helps. I have no idea about Maltese cooking, but have baked my own bread for some time now.

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 14 Apr 11 12:04pm

cinioliver

Member since Thu 14 Apr 11

HI to all.

If i might be of some help is that to make a good Maltese bread you need  white flour type O.

Also using beer yeast will  be batter as the beer yeats helps more during the  process. beside  a typical mixture of 11g for every 500g of flour is the best way to go.

Heating the over make sure to keep it at around 250C so not to have a slow cooking process.

Bread needs at least a good  2 hours to be cooked as it should be,besides this the only method i know of when making the mixture is to mix everything at once and then add flour  to make the pastry smooth not waterish.

Also for a batter teast use rock salt not normal fine salt. and let the dout sit for at least 5 hours before using it.

Regards

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 14 Sep 12 7:35pm

twanny

Member since Fri 14 Sep 12

The dough is made from American, high-gluten, hard-wheat flour mixed
approximately 60:40 with European soft wheat, salt, water and yeast. Moreover,
Maltese bread is made by a system of sour dough, or mother dough, descending
from one daysí dough to the next.  Maltese traditional ovens (forn) in made of quarry stone and its pretty hard to get the same result in any other type of oven.

Memories smile 5 of my uncles where bakers and I used to spend all my summer holidays going round all the bakeries. Oh I was born and bread (hic) in Casal Fornio in Malta, that is what Melton Mowbrey is to Pork Pies smile

big_smile

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 14 Sep 12 8:44pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

twanny, that is very interesting.  I would love to see photos of the bread your family makes in Malta or their bakeries on the 'blog' section!

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 14 Sep 12 9:15pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

......I would love to see photos of the bread your family makes in Malta or their bakeries on the 'blog' section!...........
so do I smile

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Fri 14 Sep 12 9:16pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 20 Sep 12 10:17pm

twanny

Member since Fri 14 Sep 12

I will try and get some pictures in a couple weeks time. I'll be over in Malta for my maltfest of food  big_smile . No amount of pastizzi or qassatat or ftira will be safe  wink

Likes (0)

#19 Mon 18 Mar 13 5:02pm

toni.ventura.75

Member since Mon 18 Mar 13

Hi and sorry for saying this after a thread has died BUT you will not have an exact copy of the bread ( ie . the crust ) because of not having a pizza like stone oven that the bakers have ( amongst other things like the secret recipies they have ) . Anyways , the inside of the bread is very airy and the reason 4 that is because the dough sits for 4 hours and not 1 like stated . it is vital for the texture which makes it unique .

this is their daily routine : 1 am they start the making the process leave it for 4 hours ,  heat oven at 3am , start baking at 5 am then and in 15 minutes theyd have a couple hundreds going out every 12 minutes .

i was lucky enough to get the recipe and see the daily routine of 1 of these local bakers . if you have , try a 28 gram portion in a domestic home pizza dome , it will get you closer to the round-ish look and crust .

Likes (0)