Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 22 Mar 13 4:40pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Childhod food memories

I think that most of us have memories assosiated with food from out childhood, for me , my mother was not really interested in food and her cooking reflected this .
So for me its things like a cardboard box arriving through the post every easter from my Aunt Alice who had sent us a  present of 'Jersey Wonders' , knotted partries that were deep fried and I thOught they were delicious. they often arrived a bot battered but that didnt matter , I loved them just the same.
Looking for the recipe , I found this on youtube which shows how they are rolled and knotted before being fried.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yargQDCFT5I
and the recipe
http://www.grouprecipes.com/108177/jers … lands.html

other wonderful food memories are pulling young carrots fresh from the garden , wiping the dirt of on my skirt and eating them just as they were .
Pulling sticks of rhubarb and sitting with a small pot of sugar to dip the rhubarb stick in and taking away that initial sharpness of the uncooked rhubarb .
making 'bread twists' over a bonfire .
Made from a simple flour mixture which as I remember we used to get into further trouble for making as we would often mix them directly in the bag of flour ( like real explorers !) cant remember now what went into them but the dough was twisted round a green stick then cooked by hlding the stick over a bonfire ( which we were also often in trouble for making )  roll

Magical memories that somehow managed to spark my interest in learning to cook.

Last edited by mummza (Fri 22 Mar 13 4:41pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 22 Mar 13 6:44pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Childhod food memories

Hmmm, childhood memories.  This is going to be an interested thread Mummza.

I suppose my first experience of ring doughnuts - hot ones.  Before they'd arrived in the shops, my Dad bought a 'stick' of these at the Festival of Britain in 1951. 5 on a stick for a shilling. You could smell them before you got to the stand.  All I wanted was more, more and more.

Then there was candy floss.  What can I say about that.

I can remember my first banana after the war - WW2 that is!  There were many people who became very ill through eating too many.

Suppose the one favourite that I've carried through to this day is Yorkshire pudding.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 22 Mar 13 6:45pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We always had homemade hot crossed buns at Easter and great homemade Christmas cookies.  I think those are two of my favorite memories because like your mother, mine was not in to cooking, but she did bake the few things she made for holidays quite well and with correct technique and high quality ingredients.  The best advice my mother gave about cooking was to always start with fresh ingredients when you bake and she went so far as to replace her flour.  That made sense because that bag of flour would sit for 'who knows how long' since it was sold in 5 lb. bags and she didn't bake often.  She also started with fresh eggs and butter.  To this day, the one thing that disappoints me the most about what home cooks bake is that they don't use the freshest ingredients and I really do not care for substitutes like margarine or health-food type versions of things like cakes, cookies and pies.  A fantastic dessert is one of the joys of life.  Why take the joy out of it, rather just eat it less often.  That is how we grew up, with limited sweets in our diet, but when we had it, it was full on sugar, butter and good stuff.

This is maybe me reacting, but seriously, it pains me to hear people preach endlessly about how it is vital that we all stop offering sweets on holidays to kids because their kids eat sweets every single day and they are  becoming fat and unwell from a poor daily diet.  It is astounding to me that people can feel it is their duty as modern parents to ruin the joys of holidays, the quality of great home baking and to then loudly go online and rant about how everyone is giving their child Halloween candy instead of carrots. The food is not to blame, neither is McD's.  It's your parenting skills that are the problem.  You forgot how to say 'no'.

Off the soap box now.

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 22 Mar 13 6:54pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 22 Mar 13 7:21pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

!!!!!! big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 22 Mar 13 7:26pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I remember eating primule primeroses???? while going with my sister and other girls through the fields looking for lilies of the valley or snowdrops, but they do not flourish contemporaneamente so I believe we just went around playing and often left our shoes stuck in the mud of a ditch going from a field to another

cornetto bread with butter and sugar, eating the sugar  first and going back asking for more wink  lol

there was an herb growing on the old walls between pebbels it tasted like vinegar, I'm sure you also know its name smile

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 22 Mar 13 7:42pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

---

My earliest food memories are of "pig on the spit" parties

A whole beast on a rotisserie over a fire pit. Dad in charge of it while mum did all the veg, salad & desserts.

My mum was an excellent cook. Loved the fussy stuff. If she was alive now she would be making cupcakes & cake pops etc & hooked on cake decorating tv shows.  smile

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 22 Mar 13 8:55pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Thistledo wrote:

Hmmm, childhood memories.  This is going to be an interested thread Mummza.

I suppose my first experience of ring doughnuts - hot ones.  Before they'd arrived in the shops, my Dad bought a 'stick' of these at the Festival of Britain in 1951. 5 on a stick for a shilling. You could smell them before you got to the stand.  All I wanted was more, more and more.

Then there was candy floss.  What can I say about that.

I can remember my first banana after the war - WW2 that is!  There were many people who became very ill through eating too many.

Suppose the one favourite that I've carried through to this day is Yorkshire pudding.

Did people become sick from eating bananas?  I have never heard of that.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 23 Mar 13 12:02am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

my mum wasn't into cooking but she still did it and also used to get us involved in christmas cooking so a lot of my best memories are from the pre-christmas period after school finished. She even taught me how to ice cakes properly (she was more into that from the craft aspect than the food side). She also allowed a great deal of freedom and mess as I started to get interested in experimenting. I was doing potato rosti a decade before it was popular. There was a lot of mess which I rarely cleared up and the time I burnt the jam to the bottom of a pan because I'd gone to watch tv while cooking it. Then in my late teens the Naked Chef started on tv and we'd moved to the city and i was studying near chinatown. Quite a food explosion.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 23 Mar 13 12:05am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

mspablo, i have to agree. The sweet shop in our town was an incredible treat. For the majority of my childhood the only biscuits and cakes were home made (actually cake is always homemade in my family). Despite my mother's lack of interest in cooking we at least ate freshly prepared healthy food every day.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 23 Mar 13 12:11am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

smile  thumbsup  shocked

Likes (0)