forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 25 Jun 11 1:03pm

janaxx

Member since Sat 25 Jun 11

oil and coriander

Hi all,
I came across this site by chance,when I was looking up one of Jamie's recpies for my dinner party next week-end. I am not sure whether I will post much on the forums,unless I have something I would like to add,such as recipe ideas etc. In this,my first post,I would like to say something to jamie.
Jamie,in my humble opinion,you are the best chef in this country.There is one thing,I just have to have a little rant about.I think coriander puke  is the most disgusting herb on the planet. There are people I know,including myself,who puke when they smell it,never mind taste it. This and the fact I can't stand drizziling anything with oil and use it very sparingly for cooking only. I do love your food Jamie,just ditch the oil and the coriander!!! AS IF, lol

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 25 Jun 11 1:22pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: oil and coriander

I'm with you with coriander (the leaves, that is, the seeds are a great spice). It's genetic, some peoples bodies reuse to recognize it as something that's edible, let alone palletable.

But how can you not like a good extra virgine olive oil? I'm not a fan of oily foods, but I'm crazy for the taste and aroma it brings to a dish. And I feel better knowing it's a bona-fide elixir of health, but to be honest, I would probablly drizzle it if it was toxic!

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 25 Jun 11 1:36pm

janaxx

Hi TSR,
Coriander,seeds,leaves,dried or fresh, makes me physically sick when I taste it. I agree it is genetic,my son is the same. lol Absolutely love a good curry,when I make it myself,minus the coriander! When i cook with my own, or Jamie's recipes,guess what I leave out!
Yes extra virgin olive oil is fantastic to cook with.Again,both my son and I cannot stand any form of oil on our plates, or on our salads. I do love olives,although in my household, the oil is used for cooking only. SPARINGLY!   lol

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 25 Mar 13 12:23am

janaxx

I crunched through coriander leaves in a takeaway sandwich today and I was moved to log in regarding a thread I started a while ago.I am surprised there haven't been more contributions to my thread oil and coriander. There are so many people who are physically sick if they get a hint of coriander in their food,including myself. This vile herb ruins food due to its ability to overpower anything in its wake! There is actually a website named I hate coriander (cilantro)Guess who is a fully fledged member. A plea to all cooks,just stop it. I am so sick of picking coriander leaves out of everything in restaurants. Rant over, although I know I speak for a great majority of people.  puke

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 25 Mar 13 1:48am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I love, love, love coriander. Agree that it's a case of love or loathe it, though. I always ask clients if they (or their family/guests) have any known food allergies/intolerances or dislikes.

I can't do much more than that smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#6 Mon 25 Mar 13 8:42am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Don't even think of eating Thai food. Everything appears to be laced with fresh coriander leaves (added at the end of cooking generally) or incorporates coriander root (e.g. Tom Yam). Luckily I don't mind the taste.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 25 Mar 13 9:07am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

I Love Love Love coriander leaf....

In fact, I think it should be added to all food...There should be a law implemented to ensure coriander is served with everything.. tongue

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 25 Mar 13 10:06am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

wine~o wrote:

I Love Love Love coriander leaf....

In fact, I think it should be added to all food...There should be a law implemented to ensure coriander is served with everything.. tongue

I tend to add chopped coriander leaf to most things I cook, whether it be Western, Indian or Thai. The advantage here is that if I run out, it's available everywhere (generally at no charge in my village).

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 25 Mar 13 12:00pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I hate to admit it but i'm coming around to the nasty soap tasting leaf. Even going to grow it. At present I am able to tolerate it cooked into foods.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 25 Mar 13 12:11pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

The White Rabbit wrote:

I hate to admit it but i'm coming around to the nasty soap tasting leaf. Even going to grow it. At present I am able to tolerate it cooked into foods.

I find that it grows best in the cooler and less humid weather, Rabbit. Otherwise it bolts to seed. It's been terribly humid the past week. I'd wait until the humidity drops.

Suggest you grow from seed and stagger the sowing every three or so weeks (ie don't use all your seed at once).

Seed seems to grow (and last) better from seed than from planting out seedlings from the nursery/DIY mega-barn.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)