forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#951 Sun 24 Mar 13 9:36am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

MsPablo, thanks for your response.  Regret, it wasn't a JO recipe at all but someone else's and I've found it.  The link youi gave does indeed have fennel seed in but my recipe has both the seed and part of a bulb.
Thanks for your trouble.

Likes (0)

#952 Sun 24 Mar 13 2:14pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Glad you found it.  Sounds interesting.  Whose recipe was it, btw?

Likes (0)

#953 Sun 24 Mar 13 5:39pm

Thistledo

MrsPablo, it's BBC Good Food article and the writer of the recipe is Barney Desmazery, whoever he is.  Pork, Fennel  & Chilli Meatballs

I still have every intention of making these meatballs.

Likes (0)

#954 Wed 27 Mar 13 10:53am

Katerl

Occupation engineer
From Munich, Germany
Member since Wed 20 Mar 13

Hello,
I am a mother from 1,5 years old boy and cooking for him is very difficult. At the one hand he doesn´t like everything (for example green vegetables..) and on the other hand he is not allowed to eat/drink cow milk. But it should also be suitable for adults, because he only eats what we eat. You can see it is a little bit difficult.  sad
Am desperately looking for suitable recipes!!!
Could anybody help me please????   help 
Thanks a lot
Katerl

Likes (0)

#955 Wed 27 Mar 13 11:24am

Thistledo

Hello Katerl.  It is very common for young children to have their dislikes with food, especially green veg.  As for not being able to have any dairy product from the cow, you could try yew's or goat's milk and cheese, or at least try it.

You could try disguising green veg in with other things, like mashed potato mixed with peas, chopped green veg, then frying it, like a big pancake but thicker.  I'm going to into detail here because I don't know where you're from.  We call this meal Bubble and Squeak.

Select what he likes to eat most of all and gradually introduce the green veg in very small quantities.

He will hopefully soon grow out of this common dislike of greens, I'm sure.

Likes (0)

#956 Wed 27 Mar 13 11:42am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Katerl wrote:

Hello,
I am a mother from 1,5 years old boy and cooking for him is very difficult. At the one hand he doesn´t like everything (for example green vegetables..) and on the other hand he is not allowed to eat/drink cow milk. But it should also be suitable for adults, because he only eats what we eat. You can see it is a little bit difficult.  sad
Am desperately looking for suitable recipes!!!
Could anybody help me please????   help 
Thanks a lot
Katerl

Hi Katerl,
It is very common for littlies to hate green vegetables. Apparently they are very sensitive to the slight bitterness. I got around this by buying fresh and cooking  fresh - ie the longer they are in the fridge the more bitter they get. I sold broccoli florets to my daughter as 'trees' and she has had fun eating trees with her meals. Growing peas and letting your littlie pick and eat them when they are lovely and sweet can be a good trick too.

Re the dairy free, I bet everything you think of cooking contains dairy! But check through Jamie's recipes and others here and you will find dairy free ones that will suit your family! Promise!

Also, here is a thread about children and food that you might find useful or at least be able to feel you are not alone. http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=52589

Best wishes smile

Likes (0)

#957 Wed 27 Mar 13 1:40pm

jasleen

Member since Thu 23 Dec 10

Hi Jamie ! I was trying to make ganache the other day but it turned out runny. Instead of whipped cream, the recipe I followed stated that I should use 200g chocolate and 200ml thickened cream. I only used a little to decorate my cake. What can I do with the rest of it ? Can I add something to make a chocolate mousse ? Regards !

Likes (0)

#958 Wed 27 Mar 13 6:29pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

jasleen - soften it and dip fruit and biscuits in it as a fondue. We did this with leftover ganache recently. SO GOOD.

Katerl: kids are always fussy about things they're unfamiliar with. It can be so hard. But I would say, just keep putting them in front of him and set some basic rules. In our house it's:

1. You have to try a bit of everything (however tiny)
2. You don't complain about your food

So it doesn't matter if she decides she doesn't like it and leaves most of it on her plate, but she has to try a bit first, and she's not allowed to complain or be rude about her food.

To me, that's more important than overcoming fussiness. Maybe she'll learn to love carrots, maybe she won't. That's her choice. But she has to be able to face an unexpected plate of food and be polite about it. When adults don't like something, we don't scream and complain. We say nothing and leave it to one side. Kids have to learn that.

Also, keeping putting it in front of her leaves the door open for her to change her mind. Kids are very fickle

As for practical recipes, if he persistently refuses his veg, hidden veg is great. Try putting pureed butternut squash in macaroni cheese (tried this for the first time last week, it is really tasty actually - just make regular cheese sauce and then add squash a bit at a time until it looks right), and you can hide anything in tomato pasta sauce if you have a hand blender. Also try adding grated apple or celery to meatballs or meatloaf or home made sausage rolls. Also feed him plenty of fruit and give him baked beans for lunch every now and then. Maybe not great from a salt and sugar point of view (though they've improved) but they're awesome for fibre.

But I would say, even if there's hidden veg in the main, keep putting veg on the side. It's a normal part of a meal, let him get used to seeing it there.

Let me know if you want recipes for any of these ideas and I'll try writing them down, I tend to make them from memory.

eta: hidden veg is great for adults, too. Most of us could do with eating less meat and more veg! I do it a lot, even if the little one's in bed!

Last edited by hippytea (Wed 27 Mar 13 6:30pm)

Likes (0)

#959 Thu 28 Mar 13 8:47am

Katerl

Occupation engineer
From Munich, Germany
Member since Wed 20 Mar 13

Hello Thistledo, Hello JoyYamDaisy, Hello hippytea,

thank you so much for your help and recipes. First I will read all of them and I´m shure I will find some witch he likes.  smile
Wish you all a great easter with a lots of yummy eags and chocolate..... yummy
Thanks
Katerl

Likes (0)

#960 Thu 28 Mar 13 10:10pm

emmawilds

Member since Sun 24 Mar 13

Hi. I was wondering how to make a chicken and mushroom pie.
I found the recipe the other day and cant find it again. Can anyone help me as i want to make it again as it was delicious

Likes (0)