Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 27 Mar 13 3:18pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Polish Bread - Help

My son has a friend at work who comes from Poland.  Apparently he is very envious of the sandwiches I pack made with my own bread.  He said that he misses the bread from home, and has not been able to find polish bread here.  I thought I would try and bake a loaf for him but having trouble finding a recipe - what is "proper Polish Bread" that he talks about ???.   Does anyone have any recipes.

Thanks

Gem

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 27 Mar 13 4:58pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Polish Bread - Help

I think Im right i saying that quite a lot of Rye bread gets eaten in Poland , a light rye bread.
I know we used to make it every so often for a polish friend off ours .
( she now makes her own)

Do you have a bread maker Earthmum ?
My darling makes the bread and he used to make the loaves for our friend , I can ask you for his recipe ( hes at work at the moment)
I know he adds some white bread flour in with the rye flour.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 27 Mar 13 9:54pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Or potato bread? Do they do potato bread? They eat that a lot in Hungary and Romania, and I'm sure I've heard of the Poles being into it as well.

That's awesome stuff. We used to get huge round loaves of it when I was in Romania. Makes AMAZING toast. I don't have a recipe, but maybe Google has one?

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 27 Mar 13 11:09pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

no Im sure ts a light golden rye loaf that gets mostly eaten in Poland.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 28 Mar 13 9:10am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

yep a medium to light rye would probably be about right.. caraway seeds optional .

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#6 Thu 28 Mar 13 11:11am

Earthmum

Forum champ
From England

Morning all,  Thanks for your help.

I do have a bread maker, though I normally use my kenwood mixer to knead the dough then shape my hand and bake in the oven.  I don't have the strength in my arms to knead anymore, but I still get to have a play with the dough  big_smile .

I found this on google yesterday and made one last night, son has taken it into work this morning as an easter present, poor man had hoped to go home and see his wife and daughter for easter but has been offered extra work and needs the money so....

Hope he likes it.http://www.food.com/recipe/babcis-babka-332090

Yes please mummza I would love to have your recipe

Gem

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 20 Apr 13 10:28pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

sorry Earthmum I had forgotten about the recipe !
Did your polish friend like the bread that you baked for him ?

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 23 Apr 13 12:13pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
From England

Hi Mummza

Yes he was very pleased with it, they had it on the afternoon tea break and he took the rest home.

I also made a rye loaf using 50/50 rye flour with white, I had problems with the rise it spread rather than lifted  yikes , but everyone said it was good will have to have another try.

I started my sour starter, on day it was ready to use (Thursday) was the day the window men decided to fit the new kitchen window, so I popped the starter into the fridge, and I haven't had chance to use it yet, I gave it a feed on Sunday and it still looks ok ????.  I'm not sure, can I use this or should I start a new one ??.

Thanks
Gem

Likes (0)