forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Wed 27 Mar 13 3:52pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: Childhod food memories

thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup brava mummza you see everyone comes back to see what's bubbling on the fire wink

Likes (0)

#22 Wed 27 Mar 13 5:49pm

rhianna899

Forum champ
Member since Mon 02 Feb 09

Hi Earthmum  big_smile

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 28 Mar 13 10:35am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Earthmum wrote:

My dad  loved cockles  puke , but then he liked pork dripping on bread as well  shocked .

My mum ate beef dripping sandwiches regularly. Whether it was because she liked them or because it was all we could afford I'll never know. From what I read, beef dripping is now a luxury in the UK.

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 28 Mar 13 10:52am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

When I was at secondary school, I was eligible for free school dinners because my father had died earlier. In those days, everyone paid their "dinner money" first thing Monday morning (2 or 3 shillings I think) and your name was called out as the register was called. Of course, being entitled to free dinners, my name was never called and I became the butt of many jokes about my family's inability to pay like everyone else. This took quite a toll and I eventually asked my mum if I could take a pack lunch instead. She was reluctant at first but eventually agreed and my first packed lunch was sliced tomato sandwiches. When I returned from school that evening, my mum asked me if I enjoyed the sandwiches and of course I responded that they were very nice. I cannot remember how long it was that I was eating tomato sandwiches but it seemed like forever

The problem with tomato sandwiches was that no-one was prepared to swap.

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 28 Mar 13 12:01pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Mmmm, pork dripping (with the gravy/jelly bits) on bread or toast with loads of pepper.  That was truly scrumptious  Not had that in many years.

Beef dripping in my supermarket costs 72p for 500g.  Wouldn't put that on my bread though - must have my bits! yummy

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 29 Mar 13 9:30am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Ohh.. childhood memories of food, gosh there are so many!

Mum loved to cook and still does so that was great growing up. You never knew what you were coming home too - sometimes it was homemade biscuits with little jellies dotted through them. Other days it was quiche for dinner or stew in the slow cooker that I swear you could smell from our school 4kms away! Or mini cupcakes. Or if she was lazy - Arnotts Arrowroot biscuits with icing and set in the freezer smile

Also loved her "Sunday Special" - creamy chicken & pasta with macadamias.

Then there was the pumpkin scones fresh out of the oven at 6:30am in winter - nothing better to wake up to as a kid then steaming hot scones with melted butter...
Stuffed apples baked in the coals after a bonfire on the weekend. Ohh.. the potatoes from the same fire were amazing and so was the stew in the campoven.

Coleslaw, potato salad and watermelon salad were all staples at every bbq and I still think mum does the best ones.

Dad was the bbq/weber/smoke box chef. Loved the roasts done in the old weber with the pumpkin stuffed full of sweet onion and herbs.. yum! Smoked chicken was a real treat too and sausages on the bbq taste better then anything else. He also taught us how to cook toast over a fire and make damper properly. And Steam Boats - ahh... they bring back memories of 20-30 ppl dining under our old carport mixing up the most amazing smelling asian broth & vegies...

Then there was the arguments between mum & dad about how to make spag bol. Dad like it with handfuls of dried mixed herbs so mum refused to cook it for him for a while. Then she just ended up putting the jar of said herbs next to him at the dinner table haha. And cabbage rolls - I love them both ways the parents cook them. Mum does hers a slow methodic way, baked in the oven with heaps of tomato sauce around them. Dad has to have more paprika then possibly imaginable!

All in all, too many fantastic memories to write down. I could quite literally write a book. My sister and I were introduced at a young age to good food which I am very grateful for smile

Likes (0)

#27 Fri 29 Mar 13 8:37pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

My mum bless her, is not the best of cooks.  But I do remember she made the most delicious chicken pies, with lovely crumbly pastry.  They were always served with mashed potatoes and cabbage (not the best of her dishes), but I always looked forward to them  smile

Likes (0)

#28 Sat 20 Apr 13 10:31pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I remember going to visit my grandmother and eating toast , she did not have a tasoer and for some reason the toast was not put under the grill .
Instead it was hung on a fork and toasted in front of the gas fire .

Likes (0)