forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 28 Mar 13 2:30pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Grocery Guilt

I so agree with Mummza here.   Just take a look in the other trolleys if you are feeling guilty.  It is noone else's business what is in your trolley.  (I was always the one who would go to the drug store when no one else would.  LOL)

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 28 Mar 13 6:34pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

ANN wrote:

I    Just take a look in the other trolleys if you are feeling guilty.

And

ANN wrote:

It is noone else's business what is in your trolley

How do you reconcile those 2 statements ??

Last edited by wine~o (Thu 28 Mar 13 6:38pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 28 Mar 13 7:52pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Well wine-o, it was made in reference to feeling guilty.  I see no problem with my statement.  Sorry it bothered you.

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 28 Mar 13 9:49pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

One can look and silently go through a whole host of scenarios in one's imagination about that person's life and never say a word to them or take any action or express one's feelings openly to that person . . . which is pretty much I think what most of us do, so I understood Ann's post in that way and wine-o's in the sense that he was trying to take the 'p' as in, yes we all look, yes internally we judge, but no one has a right to make you feel bad about your choices in a grocery store and of course, that is what Ann was trying to say, I believe.   help  big_smile

The fact is, vanity is a bigger motivator than 'health' issues for most people, which is fine by me, as I feel it is a vice shared on some level by almost all of us and one of the lesser vices.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 28 Mar 13 9:52pm)

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 28 Mar 13 10:48pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I feel pity more than shock when I see a lot of pre-packed items in others trolleys. A friend of ours used to shop like that, she just had no idea how to cook without those things. That's how her mum cooked. She was surprised we could make lasagne that tasted great without a packet of something.

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 28 Mar 13 11:40pm

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

The White Rabbit wrote:

I feel pity more than shock when I see a lot of pre-packed items in others trolleys. A friend of ours used to shop like that, she just had no idea how to cook without those things. That's how her mum cooked. She was surprised we could make lasagne that tasted great without a packet of something.

I think that many of us have been brought up with the convenience foods (which only started coming out after the Second World War).   The idea of making lasagna without a packet of anything--or absolutely from scratch--is a novel idea. 

I've looked into a few carts at the market.  I've seen carts loaded with alcohol.  A few times, I've seen families with two carts (must have been a major grocery run). 

What irks me?  Someone with 15 items in a checkout marked for ten or fewer (one person made a snide remark when I was standing behind her and mentally counting--then she went to another line). 
Then there is the person who appears to be finished shopping--then forgot 'one more thing' or has to exchange something while we're standing in line.

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 29 Mar 13 1:40am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I remember going for a supermarket shop for the first time in a couple of months. Because all my fruit, vegetables, grains, nuts etc were bought elsewhere, my trolley contained just the things I couldn't get elsewhere, and enough of them to last a couple of months, plus a few treats. I saw people looking disapprovingly at my trolley. It is easy to make presumptions about people's health and lifestyle from their trolleys, but it is also easy to be completely wrong. cool

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 29 Mar 13 8:56am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Well I don't feel guilty unless I have a super skinny health nut standing next to me staring down at the two kilos of apples I just bought. Like hello, was I supposed to buy three and not the chocolate too?!!

That is what makes shopping interesting. I never tire of it to be honest. I enjoy secretly eyeing off what others have in their trolley and being judgemental of fatty-boombas who can't live without a constant daily hit of sugar and fat. Or the single person with just a basket for their who weekly shop.

Wine-O little did you know that the trolley hunch is where trolley surfing began. It MUST be done at least once every shop. If you hit your partners heels even better. Take points off if you hit the shelving though  lol  lol  lol
Mega points if you can go from one end of the aisle to the other without putting your feet down and "braking".

Hard to believe I'm 27... whistle

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 29 Mar 13 11:35am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Hilarious post MissG.  Give us more please. clap

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 29 Mar 13 8:28pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I like looking in other peoples trolleys, but I try not to judge.  One thing I have noticed here is that unlike the UK it's very rare to see people with their trolleys filled to overflowing, even before the holidays.  There never seems to be that thing of the shops are going to be closed for a couple of days, so I need to buy enough milk/bread to last a month!

Likes (0)