Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 15 Dec 11 3:57pm

Jeff_Towers

Member since Thu 15 Dec 11

Fresh Pod

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or if anyone can help me.

I recently brought a product called Fresh Pod which is meant to prolong the life of your fruit and veg. I stuck it in my salad crisper and it does seem to work, but I am sceptical as to whether this is just the Fresh Pod or the quality of the produce at this time of year?

I wondered if anybody else had used Fresh Pod and whether it worked for them? I am considering buying a few more for friends and family who fall into the 'hard to buy' category for Christmas, but I want to make sure I'm not just giving them another gimmick.

J

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 15 Dec 11 7:33pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Fresh Pod

Searched on the net as i have never heard of it....i get along well enough without gadgets.

Its rare that i keep fruits in the fridge even in summer, they keep fine and are eaten before they have time to tire....as long as bananas are kept well apart.

Except for the more juicy fruits such as kiwi which are closed in a plastic sac with an apple to keep them longer.

I pose my veg on absobant paper to absorb the humidity.

When salads are tired they are quickly revived after soaking in tepid water.

Probably not much help as to your question though hmm  smile

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 15 Dec 11 7:57pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have just found it.... or at least I think this might be it !
http://www.jointhepod.org/news-info/off … s-%281%29/

Wecome to the forum Jeff_Towers

To be honest , I am a bit sceptical as the favours of the fruit and veg often arn't as good if they are kept a bit long.

The internet linktells me that this product ..
"Extends storage life of fruit & vegetables up to 4 times longer than normal.
Helps to retain important vitamins and nutrients in fresh produce.
to be honest  I am unsure about this.

Like Kye , I line the veg draw in thhe fridge with kitchen paper and that seems to help.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 16 Dec 11 11:09am

Jeff_Towers

Thanks guys.

Yes that is it Mummza, but I found it on a different site which was just for Fresh pod (I think I just googled "Fresh Pod" and it was the first site), but it made the same claims.

I was skeptical at first (still am slightly) but it does seem to work and the produce has remained just as good. The main ones I have really noticed it on are the lettuce and tomato in the crisper at the bottom of the fridge. I always keep bananas away from my fruit and that is fine so I haven't bothered with the fruit bowl.

I will try putting some kitchen paper in too.

The big test for me will be over Christmas as I will no doubt once again have more leftovers than we have actually eaten!  roll

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 17 Dec 11 9:59am

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

My old fridge had a zero-dgree zone which did keep veg fresh for a week...it has to as I can only shop conveniently on Saturday.
My new fridge tops this and has a bio-fresh zone which allows regulation of humidity and temperature...this supposedly helps keep my veg fresh even longer.
So there's probably some science behind your fresh pod...

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 03 Jan 12 1:31pm

Jeff_Towers

It claims to eliminate the ethylene (a gas I was previously blissfully unaware of), which a little bit of research has told me is the thing which makes fruit and veg go ripe and then rot.

It is continuing to impress me so I'm assuming Wikipedia was right in it's assessment of Ethylene?!   smile

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 04 Apr 13 11:22pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

How did the cabbages taste after 8 weeks Faye ?
Was there any change in taste from the day they were bought.

I am not sure that giving out your phone number for this product goes along with our forum rules . Did you check with the moderators before you posted it . ( if you did not please edit your post and remove the phone number)
If you did not it is considered to be spam and spam is unacceptable on the forum.

Likes (0)