forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#971 Wed 27 Mar 13 6:29pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Ask me a cooking question

jasleen - soften it and dip fruit and biscuits in it as a fondue. We did this with leftover ganache recently. SO GOOD.

Katerl: kids are always fussy about things they're unfamiliar with. It can be so hard. But I would say, just keep putting them in front of him and set some basic rules. In our house it's:

1. You have to try a bit of everything (however tiny)
2. You don't complain about your food

So it doesn't matter if she decides she doesn't like it and leaves most of it on her plate, but she has to try a bit first, and she's not allowed to complain or be rude about her food.

To me, that's more important than overcoming fussiness. Maybe she'll learn to love carrots, maybe she won't. That's her choice. But she has to be able to face an unexpected plate of food and be polite about it. When adults don't like something, we don't scream and complain. We say nothing and leave it to one side. Kids have to learn that.

Also, keeping putting it in front of her leaves the door open for her to change her mind. Kids are very fickle

As for practical recipes, if he persistently refuses his veg, hidden veg is great. Try putting pureed butternut squash in macaroni cheese (tried this for the first time last week, it is really tasty actually - just make regular cheese sauce and then add squash a bit at a time until it looks right), and you can hide anything in tomato pasta sauce if you have a hand blender. Also try adding grated apple or celery to meatballs or meatloaf or home made sausage rolls. Also feed him plenty of fruit and give him baked beans for lunch every now and then. Maybe not great from a salt and sugar point of view (though they've improved) but they're awesome for fibre.

But I would say, even if there's hidden veg in the main, keep putting veg on the side. It's a normal part of a meal, let him get used to seeing it there.

Let me know if you want recipes for any of these ideas and I'll try writing them down, I tend to make them from memory.

eta: hidden veg is great for adults, too. Most of us could do with eating less meat and more veg! I do it a lot, even if the little one's in bed!

Last edited by hippytea (Wed 27 Mar 13 6:30pm)

Likes (0)

#972 Thu 28 Mar 13 8:47am

Katerl

Occupation engineer
From Munich, Germany
Member since Wed 20 Mar 13

Hello Thistledo, Hello JoyYamDaisy, Hello hippytea,

thank you so much for your help and recipes. First I will read all of them and I´m shure I will find some witch he likes.  smile
Wish you all a great easter with a lots of yummy eags and chocolate..... yummy
Thanks
Katerl

Likes (0)

#973 Thu 28 Mar 13 10:10pm

emmawilds

Member since Sun 24 Mar 13

Hi. I was wondering how to make a chicken and mushroom pie.
I found the recipe the other day and cant find it again. Can anyone help me as i want to make it again as it was delicious

Likes (0)

#974 Wed 03 Apr 13 8:24pm

Flavour

Member since Mon 01 Apr 13

Hi Jamie, my name is Maja and I'm thirteen. Today I made your morocian food from one of your 30 minutes meal program. I saw the program last year and makes it quite often because it's really good! But when I make my tortillas in the oven, they don't get as fluffy as your tortillas. I wash the bakingpaper and then wrap the tortillas in it. And the tortillas are covered with oliveoil and herbs but they don't get as fluffy anyway. What setting do you have on your oven? It would have been really fun to show you a picture of the food. Can you load up a picture in the forum? I was at your resturant Jamies Italian in Kingston last week. It was so good! I ate a crabrisotto and bought two cutting boards which are lovely to serve food on. I love it in your programs when you serve it on your boards.  I understand if you don't answer but would be very happy if you did. Thank you and have a nice week!

Likes (0)

#975 Wed 03 Apr 13 8:57pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Welcome Flavour...  stick around you never know who's going to respond...

smile  big_smile

Likes (0)

#976 Fri 05 Apr 13 5:00pm

emma.purton

Member since Thu 04 Apr 13

Hi Jamie

Where could I find you delicious recipe for the quinoa & bulgar wheat salad I had at your Italian in Reading the other day?

Many thanks
Emma

Likes (0)

#977 Fri 05 Apr 13 5:19pm

brj

Member since Fri 05 Apr 13

dear jamie:
i'm a great fan, and i see you every day on TV from spain.
my familly loves your meals.
i have bougth your 30 minute meals book and i have a problem.
when i want to see your videos following your main page link, it says me that the video that i want to see is blocked in my area (spain). what can i do to solve this problem? any other page where i can see your videos?
even in youtube, it says me that the videos are not available in my area.
yours sincerlly.

mariajo.

Likes (0)

#978 Sat 06 Apr 13 3:34pm

irene.hruska

Member since Wed 13 Feb 13

Dear Jamie,
I have bought fresh green almonds today. What can I do with them?
(Except for to cook them in syrup or eat them as they are with some salt. )
Thank you for your help!
Irene

Likes (0)

#979 Sat 06 Apr 13 4:03pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

irene.hruska wrote:

Dear Jamie,
Thank you for your help!
Irene

???

Why would you buy something that you don't know what to do with????

Perhaps that's just me then....

Likes (0)

#980 Sat 06 Apr 13 5:01pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

wine~o wrote:

irene.hruska wrote:

Dear Jamie,
Thank you for your help!
Irene

???

Why would you buy something that you don't know what to do with????

Perhaps that's just me then....

I'm always buying things to cook that I dont know what they are wine-o , that's how I learn !

Likes (0)