mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

irene.hruska wrote:

Dear Jamie,
I have bought fresh green almonds today. What can I do with them?
(Except for to cook them in syrup or eat them as they are with some salt. )
Thank you for your help!
Irene

welcome to the forum  Irene smile

you can pickle them , they eed to be pickled before the shells start to harden .
they they are good added to a rich beef casserole i a silmilar way to addig pickled walnuts to enrich a casserole .
or once pickled they can be eaten with cold meats and cheeses.
I have just looked up o the internet to see if I can find a pickling recipe for you , not sure if this site is any good but  it seems to have a god few green almond recipes.
http://www.yummly.com/recipes/pickled-green-almonds

Last edited by mummza (Sat 06 Apr 13 5:06pm)

Likes (0)

#982 Sun 07 Apr 13 5:32pm

irene.hruska

Member since Wed 13 Feb 13

Thank you smile

Likes (0)

#983 Sun 07 Apr 13 6:09pm

devon.liscum

Member since Sun 07 Apr 13

Hey Jamie! I was really interested in the types of chili you use. So what kind is it? think

Likes (0)

#984 Sun 07 Apr 13 7:30pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

maybe Jamies´ gardener Pete can answer this: what would YOU do when in april it is still -5C and snowing and the ground is iced over? when it does melt, will it be too late to plant anything? what can a gardener do until then?

cause the winter just won´t leave Estonia alone. there is a foot of snow in the south part as well.

Likes (0)

#985 Sun 07 Apr 13 10:24pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Katerl wrote:

Hello,
I am a mother from 1,5 years old boy and cooking for him is very difficult. At the one hand he doesn´t like everything (for example green vegetables..) and on the other hand he is not allowed to eat/drink cow milk. But it should also be suitable for adults, because he only eats what we eat. You can see it is a little bit difficult.  sad
Am desperately looking for suitable recipes!!!
Could anybody help me please????   help 
Thanks a lot
Katerl

welcome to the forum Katerl  smile
My first bit of advice is to try not to worry , children like adults  have their likes and dislikes not all children eat all vegetables and the green vegetables are often disliked by children .

my next bit of advice is never to make an issue out of food, almost all children have a good appertite and will eat well when they want to .

Hes only tiny and will probable get to like them one day .
Do you have a garden or anywhere you can grow things in pots, children love to see things grow and pick things in a garden.

I dont like rules when it comes to childrens food, apart from the rule that meals had to be eaten together at the table and there were no toys, television, books whilst a meal was happening.
Pull his high chair up the the table and try to eat family meals together.

Another thing that we always did was to put bowls of food in the center of the table and allow the children to serve themselves, we found that the children were more likely to try new foods .
It can be pretty off putting for a child to have a plate of food just put in front of them and them be expected to eat it.
put little amounts on his plate and let him have more if he wants it.
Your son is tiny so he would find it tricky to serve himself for a while but it won't be too long before he can.

I think that its already been suggested that you add things into mashed potato , my children loved this , I would ask them what they wanted mashed into the potato and they would tell me.
I never hid vegetables for my family.

From an early age , I realised that my children were happy to try different foods and eat allsorts , they never minded vegetables apart from peas ( which they all eat now they are adults ) but that said they all had their own particular likes and dislikes , one did not like broad (fava  ) beans and another did not like bananas , oe did not like strong cheese but mostly they ate anything.

What sort of foods do you like to cook and eat ?

( edit ... I have to add that my darling never ate vegetables before he knew me, he considered them overrated and not pleasent things to eat ... but ... he will now eat any vegetables and fruit happily !)

Last edited by mummza (Sun 07 Apr 13 10:35pm)

Likes (0)

#986 Sun 07 Apr 13 10:31pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

maybe Jamies´ gardener Pete can answer this: what would YOU do when in april it is still -5C and snowing and the ground is iced over? when it does melt, will it be too late to plant anything? what can a gardener do until then?

cause the winter just won´t leave Estonia alone. there is a foot of snow in the south part as well.

Redfox, the gadener I think was called Robin and only on the forum for a short while he hasnt been here for a while.

I think if I were you I would start things growing inside in pots and when the weather gets better start to harden the plants by putting them outside for some of the daytime but bring them in at night gradually putting them out for longer till the plants were moore hardy.

I know that Rhubard can suvive freeezing temperatures and frozen grounds but that would need to be planted when the ground was still dig-able before the fosts and snow started.

Likes (0)

#987 Mon 08 Apr 13 12:11am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I think he has a new gardener ..  at least  someone named Pete Wrapson  is blogging and  it says he is Jamie's Gardener

http://www.jamieoliver.com/author/pete-wrapson/

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#988 Tue 16 Apr 13 4:19am

katieziesemer

Member since Tue 16 Apr 13

Hi all,
I'm trying to track down the recipe for Jamie's Sticky BBQ ribs and coleslaw from his Summer Food Rave Up.  They look awesome and I really want to give them a try.
HELP big_smile

Likes (0)

#989 Tue 16 Apr 13 11:10am

messybessy

Member since Tue 16 Apr 13

Presently living in Dakar Senegal, My child attends the International school, which does not have a kitchen providing the adequate meals for children, they do however have on the premises a privately run snack shack.
I do not rate this place and against purchasing food items from here, I intend to start providing hot lunches to 5-6 year olds for those who are interested at the start of the new term (August).
Need all the information I can get inorder to provide quality, well balanced and varied meals for this slightly picky age group and also need advice on costings.

Regards

Messy Bessy

Likes (0)

#990 Wed 17 Apr 13 2:55pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

well, spring finally arrived, mom has pretty tall tomatoes on the window and now they can be planted.
we don´t have the seeds for kale in our shops though.
does anyone know where I could order kale seeds online that is trustworthy and will definately arrive?

although, for example, roman salad did not grow well last year. maybe it will go the same with kale....

I want to try something different, but not sure wthere it will grow....

Likes (0)