forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 16 Apr 13 11:30pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

What do you give your kids for their tea?

I mean the meal you give them between lunch and super. As soon as they come home from school just before they go off to a club, sports or after school classes.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 17 Apr 13 6:41am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: What do you give your kids for their tea?

Wh my children (who are now adults )were small they were always starving when they came home from school .
There was always fresh fruit in the bowl on the table , very often fresh made bread rolls which they would help them selves to and eat just as it was or put cheese , ham or jam into .,, or they might have a bowlful of cereal . 
Maybe a glass of milk or glass full of fruit juice.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 17 Apr 13 10:47am

useimagination

Occupation Archivist/Museum assistant
From Namibia,Africa
Member since Tue 12 Feb 13

I dont have kids,but when my nieces and nephew are around which range from the age of 3-13 I love baking muffins for them. I found a really basic muffin recipe :

2 cups flour
half a cup sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup of oil
1 egg.

I usually use double amount,now with the flavours you can go haywire. You can leave out the sugar and add bacon and cheese for savoury,or fo a treat add cinnamon,cocoa powder,maybe almond essence. Basically with this recipe you can add anything that pop into your mind. Just always stick to the basic recipe and its always a winner. If you want it a bit moist add youghurt our a bit more milk. Just experiment around!
Have fun thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 17 Apr 13 11:09am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

When i was young it was often leftover white rice heated with milk and some brown sugar.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 17 Apr 13 11:27am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

I think for us, it was snacks and fruit.

With my daughter it was junk or leftovers. I have tried to replace the junk with fruit. I also don't like her eating leftovers, because if can result in her being full in supper.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 17 Apr 13 9:32pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Last meal I cooked for a kid was Mexican Tamales/chimichangas some form of salad. Tried to man him up with some Hot pepper sauce. Mango and vanilla Bavoir for dessert.
As a child I was given real food lots of fish vegetables, we couldn’t afford junk food. Mother cooked (really good) Father and brother fished. Vegetables from the garden, some wild stuff. Local shops, no supermarkets as such.
Good times

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 17 Apr 13 11:09pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I dnt think that Abdul is talking about a full meal Goose , but just something to sustain the children when they retern from school starving hungry and before they have their supper in the early evening.

Likes (0)