Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#981 Thu 18 Apr 13 12:58pm

kerryanne.doughty

Member since Thu 18 Apr 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

I love to cook and try different recipes, and I really enjoy Asian food. My problem is that I absolutely loathe Coriander. That's fine if I go out to restaurants, as I can ask them not to put Coriander in my food. But many recipes that I'd like to try at home have this ingredient, and so I'm missing out on trying some amazing dishes all because of it. Does anyone know a different herb that I could substitute for Coriander without ruining whatever I'm cooking? javascript:emoticon('help')

Likes (0)

#982 Thu 18 Apr 13 3:31pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

thank you Pete for the answer! we are ready for action now, although it is still cold during nigths and ast some parts snow hasn´t melted, the daily temperatures are in the + and there is quite a lot of sunshine and few clouds.

indeed, it seems the plants themselves compensate for the negative effects of that extended winter.

It would have been a great year for inventing recipes out of snow and ice though. some peoples said "Let´s eat snow!" LOL

Likes (0)

#983 Thu 18 Apr 13 4:19pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

guillermo.zarzo wrote:

Hi Jamie
wrote you an e-mail about the bad translation in spanish of Jamie´s 15 minutes meals.I hope people don´t mess up the recipes and blame you because of this
Sunny greetings
Guillermo

Hi Guillermo, to where did you send the email?

Thanks,
Merlin

Likes (0)

#984 Thu 18 Apr 13 5:46pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

some peoples said "Let´s eat snow!" LOL

Redfox...Handy hint no1...

Never eat yellow snow.. big_smile

Likes (0)

#985 Thu 18 Apr 13 9:48pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

wine~o wrote:

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

some peoples said "Let´s eat snow!" LOL

Redfox...Handy hint no1...

Never eat yellow snow.. big_smile

thank you for that joke. do you know it was excavated first together with a nest of dinosaur eggs? (no offence)

Likes (0)

#986 Sat 20 Apr 13 8:14pm

shuchun.tse

Member since Sat 20 Apr 13

Hi Jamie,

I watched 15 minutes meal - episode 27, you used sesame oil to fry steaks and the stir fry. I do think that sesame oil is pretty potent stuff, it is used like truffle oil for flavor in chinese cooking (though you can cook sesame oil), so how do you make that work?

Likes (0)

#987 Sun 21 Apr 13 11:23am

nessie18

Member since Sun 21 Apr 13

Hi Jamie, can you tell me which is the best pan to cook a roast in?  smile

Likes (0)

#988 Sun 21 Apr 13 2:24pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

nessie18 wrote:

Hi Jamie, can you tell me which is the best pan to cook a roast in?  smile

welcome to the forum nessie18 smile

As you can see I am not Mr. Oliver .

I think that one of the most important things is the quality of the pan that you use, always try to get the best quality pans that you can afford as they will last better and usually cook more evenly.

I have an old fashioned lidded roasted dish that I use , it self bastes as it cooks and so the meat will still brown,
It was fairly expensive when I bought it and  is made from an enamel coated metal it has lasted me for around 25 years so far and has many more years life left in it.
it looks a bit like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Induction … oaster+pan

Likes (0)

#989 Thu 25 Apr 13 6:31am

bethany.twine.5

Member since Thu 25 Apr 13

Does anyone know a very basic recipe for ravioli filling? Something tomato based and nothing too exotic or spicy and won't get funky if frozen?

Also, DebDiMaggio, my suggestion for getting your spuds crispy from roasting in an oven is this: dip your spud pieces in canola oil or other vegetable-based oil (they are healthier) or take a sauce-brush and brush said oil over the sides of spud-pieces in a thin layer, then place on/in a dish or pan that isn't very deep and do NOT cover. Moisture retention tends to keep foods from getting that crispy texture that many crave. This happens no matter the method you use. Or if you want to keep some of your moisture but still get the crispy, do what I suggested but with a slight variation, cover dish with foil (loosely) and take off foil for the last few minutes or so. Be sure to experiment with time-ratio of foil and no foil until you get the desired effect.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#990 Thu 25 Apr 13 10:41am

Jamie's Food Team

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

devon.liscum wrote:

Hey Jamie! I was really interested in the types of chili you use. So what kind is it? think

As you know Jamie loves all chillies and they all have slight different flavours. Jamie likes to use what he can get his hands on - some of his faves are scotch bonnets, anaheim, apache, banana, caldero, cherry bomb and birds eye. He also loves using dried chillies to give smokyness and depth to sauces.

Likes (0)