forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 22 Apr 13 7:30pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: I need inspirations...

Another one you might like - chicken & leek pie.

Slice one leek per person and either boil or steam - if you boil it, reserve the water.

Fry a good quantity of mushrooms in olive or coconut oil, put into a pie dish with the drained leeks. 

Some chicken - tonight I'll be using leftover roast chicken from Sunday night - cooked and enough for however many you're cooking for.

To make the sauce, heat some fat (I use olive oil) in a pan, add tapioca starch to make a paste, then gently heat.  Add some of the water from your leeks if you have any, otherwise use chicken stock.  Make a thickish, well seasoned sauce using stock to thin your fat and flour.  When this is ready, pour it over the leeks, chicken and mushrooms and mix well.

To make pastry, put 3/4 cup of ground almonds (or other ground nuts) and 3/4 cup of tapioca flour in a bowl with a good pinch of salt and a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda.  Add 1 whole egg and mix, then slowly add olive (or oil of your choice) oil to make a pastry consistency.  Roll out between 2 sheets of clingfilm or greaseproof paper and very carefully transfer to cover your pie.  Bake in the oven at around 180C for 20 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the pastry is golden.

Edited for spelling!

Last edited by oliviascotland (Mon 22 Apr 13 7:31pm)

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 22 Apr 13 8:09pm

useimagination

Occupation Archivist/Museum assistant
From Namibia,Africa
Member since Tue 12 Feb 13

Again that sounds fantastic Oliviascotland - I am going to make this dish this weekend for my family. wink I am really being inspired by you all. smile

I made salad tonight with red,green and red peppers. Added a bit of salt and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (add a spritz of lemon juice as well.) And of course added leak. Yum.. smile
I also found that frying chicken in avocado oil really gives it a really good taste and it smells like you frying beacon...  yummy

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 23 Apr 13 11:47am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

there are loads of vegetarian recipes that would also be suitable for you to eat I am sure , do you have any vegetarian cookery books useimagination ?
Might be worth looking for a few as it could help you quite a lot.
My neice is both gluten free and vegetarian.

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 23 Apr 13 12:18pm

useimagination

From Namibia,Africa

Yes I got quite a few vegetarian cookbooks, And also recently got a gluten free cookbook...been really helpful. smile Always keeping a look out. But here its taking a while now to get all the gluten free products one needs. It's slowly picking up now that people realize there are people with such intolerances,some coffee shops and resturants are also starting to cater for people with gluten intolerance which am really happy about. wink

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 29 Apr 13 12:46pm

useimagination

From Namibia,Africa

I made my first gluten and lactose free pudding - Loved it! smile

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 01 May 13 2:41pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

use turnips instead of potato - mashed turnip in place of mashed potato

if you can eat lentils, then sprout them. all sorts and colors of lentils can be sprouted. they are good cooked too, but sprouted salad of different colors of lentils is just so pretty and they are not that pretty when cooked.

we get pea flour here - ground dried peas. do you have that? I use it instead of muesli. I am not gluten intolerant, but I dont like muesli, it makes me too full.

also, we get pea & soy flakes here. if those are roasted, mixed with sunflower seeds and raw chocolate (no lactose), they are an excellent muesli. you can perhaps use soy or almond milk as fluid to the mix. but those flakes are no good when not roasted, that HAS to be done either in oven or on a pan.
I eat a lot of berries and you can make milk-free ice cream by mxing frozen berries and almond milk in a blender.

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 06 May 13 9:05pm

useimagination

From Namibia,Africa

Thank you for the tip RedfoxEstonia,appreciate it..will try and check around for pea flour never heard of that before -appreciate it! smile

Likes (0)

#18 Mon 06 May 13 9:26pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I bought a Delia Smith book for my daughter today .... ' Delia's Cakes'
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delias-Cakes-De … mith+cakes
I was reading it and it says that almost all of the recipes can be made with gluten free flours, there were a few exceptions and these were marked with a star I think .
It says that they have been well tested and the recipes work although sometimes the gluten free equivalent of the recipe might be slightly more crumbly.

I thought that this might be usfull info for you useimagination , I dont know if you can get hold of the book or if you can get gluten free baking flours but I thought I would mention the book just incase you can.

Last edited by mummza (Mon 06 May 13 9:27pm)

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 07 May 13 5:50pm

useimagination

From Namibia,Africa

Thank you mummza, I am going to get right unto it!  thumbsup

Likes (0)