forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 14 May 13 9:46am

greenlady

Occupation Unemployed
From Portugal
Member since Sun 07 Mar 10

Re: From office to work to becoming a baker

We are considering moving to Bristol, so if anyone in this forum knows someone who might be willing to take me on (would not expect to be paid while I'm learning).

(No date for moving yet; it all depends on our elderly dog and unfortunately it might be sooner rather than later...).

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 16 May 13 12:20pm

moeabdullah

From Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Member since Wed 15 May 13

Greetings Greenlady!
Firstly i would like to congratulate you for being true and honest to yourself. I used to be a corporate professional working 9-9 daily and that drove me almost suicidal. In 2007, i braved the world of business and never looked back. Although it does not pay as much but the freedom i enjoy is priceless.

I do volunteer cooking at a local soup kitchen where i received part of my informal hands on knowledge and created a brandname. The locals would hire me as their caterer when hosting a feast. Apart from that, i have a small portable cafe serving lunch to office people under the trees by the roadside. At present, i am in the midst of writing a story about a self-made chef based on true accounts.

I also lived in the UK before. I would suggest you look up morning markets, weekend attraction places and mobile shops trading near offices or factories. However i must mention, personal cooking and commercial cooking are 2 distinct and very different worlds. Please presevere and do tell us how you got on.

Good luck, all the best and again congratulations!    clap

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 16 May 13 12:28pm

greenlady

Occupation Unemployed
From Portugal
Member since Sun 07 Mar 10

This forum is just amazing. Thank you moeabdullah for more great ideas. I'd love to help in a soup kitchen - what a great way to start, helping others.  clap All the other suggestions/ideas great also.

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 17 May 13 6:50am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Green lady , if you like the idea of street food  , you might also look at farmers markets .
I knew someone that had an area in a shop to sell their falafel and flat breads but went to have a stall in the farmers markets instead .

You will have to go through the correct procedures with food safety , food handling etc . I think your local environmental health departments
Will be able to advise you on this .
If your in Bristol there will be quite a few markets you can attend o travel to.

Also you will have to contact the local farmers market groups to see if your stall would be acceptable . The markets like to have a variety of stalls selling local produce.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 17 May 13 12:12pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

greenlady wrote:

Growing up I was brainwashed with the idea that I must get a degree and get a job behind a desk; and that I was never going to be a good cook because I showed no interest in learning.

As soon as I went to university I started to enjoy cooking and now at 36, many moons later, I realise I hate office work with passion and what I love is being in the kitchen cooking meals or baking (it actually relaxes me more than meditation).

Do you guys think I still have a chance of changing careers? And how? (I'm not in the UK at the moment but will move back soon-ish; where I am living now I've been blocked from accessing cooking courses due to my age - they only train people up to 22 and with no degrees).

I'd like to, one day, have a small coffee shop that sold own bread, sandwiches and cakes - nothing too fancy.

I know this is not a cooking related question as such, but would really love to read your opinions. I don't know where to start.

question

Greenlady

I commend your enthusiasm and challenge you have set yourself in a change of careers/lifestyle.

I use wood-fired ovens a lot and come into contact with many bakers. Many of these bakers have started out commercially running a micro bakery.....this may be an avenue which could easily set you up on the commercial ladder.

A micro bakery is a baker who works from home. Most micro bakeries sell their bread/cakes on farmers markets in their local area and supply local local restaurants etc allbeit with a limited supply. Usually a micro bakery will also give baking courses to a small groups. The courses may be something that may interest you but also can be the training you are looking for. There are no limitations to age , qualifications or experience as  courses can be found to suit all abilities.

Courses can range from a small micro bakery like this chap near me in Cardiff http://geraintbakesbread.webs.com/ to non-profit making organisations like....
http://www.schoolofartisanfood.org/

....just a bit of food for thought.

All the best with your quest.

Terry

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 17 May 13 4:44pm

moeabdullah

From Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Member since Wed 15 May 13

Hi Terry!

Nice of you to share this experience. Here, we have similar micro bakery mostly doing muffins, cakes, cookies and biscuits from home on made to order basis. I had forgotten about this home industry until your reminded me. I normally order some pastries from a few local women doing it from home for my catering job. Thats another avenue for you Greenlady.

Likes (0)