Subscribe to forums RSS

#1031 Thu 16 May 13 5:01am

moeabdullah

From Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Member since Wed 15 May 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Jamie!
2 questions for the busy man.

1stly, what are your views on fusion food mixing flavours of one locality and incorporate into another? Do you have an example recipe of this?

2ndly, from where did you learn about Asian food? Saw you on the telly recently doing satay and peanut sauce. Not exactly authentic but your simplicity excites me to learn more.

Cheers and viva food revolution!

Last edited by moeabdullah (Thu 16 May 13 5:04am)

Likes (0)

#1032 Thu 16 May 13 7:28am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

to Jamie or to anyone with experience

um I have a question about ice cream, home made ice cream. I have seen variants with vanilla custard with eggs and then whipped cream based ice cream. what would be the best kind of recipe if I dont have an ice cream machine and just a regular refrigerator / freezer? and do I absolutely have to stir the ice cream in the freezer every now and then till it is done or can I just leave it for a day? thing is, in the regular freezer it freezes into a lump of ice.  can I even make it in these kinds of conditions? and should I use the egg-based recipe or the cream-based one?

Likes (0)

#1033 Thu 16 May 13 11:10am

moeabdullah

Greetings Redfox of Estonia!
A trick i normally use to avoid having cream or milk turning into lumpy icesicles is to put the cream in a container or plastic bag then submerge it in water in a bigger container or bowl.  This buys you at least one day when the freezer only attacks the water but not the cream. Once the water starts to freeze, replace it and continue the process until you get a nice icecream.

As for egg-based or cream based, i would personally go cream based with milk. Good luck and all the best! Would love to hear Jamie's comments though. wink

Likes (0)

#1034 Thu 16 May 13 6:11pm

Shane-lee

Occupation Pastry Chef
From Stratford-upon-avon
Member since Thu 16 May 13

Hi there everyone

I would just like some feedback on a dessert idea big_smile
  Plum tarte tatin , raspberry jelly and gooseberry sorbet

many thanks
    shane  big_smile

Last edited by Shane-lee (Fri 17 May 13 1:35am)

Likes (0)

#1035 Thu 16 May 13 7:56pm

Toddr

Member since Tue 14 May 13

Hi

I'm very new to this but , can anyone help, what's the best way to cook deep fried chilli beef & ideas for the best sauce ??

I have it every time I eat out at a Chinese, but its very hit and miss.

It would be fun to try at home  smile

Likes (0)

#1036 Thu 16 May 13 9:12pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

moeabdullah wrote:

Greetings Redfox of Estonia!
A trick i normally use to avoid having cream or milk turning into lumpy icesicles is to put the cream in a container or plastic bag then submerge it in water in a bigger container or bowl.  This buys you at least one day when the freezer only attacks the water but not the cream. Once the water starts to freeze, replace it and continue the process until you get a nice icecream.

As for egg-based or cream based, i would personally go cream based with milk. Good luck and all the best! Would love to hear Jamie's comments though. wink

thank you, that sounds like a good plan to try!

Likes (0)

#1037 Fri 17 May 13 6:48am

moeabdullah

Toddr wrote:

Hi

I'm very new to this but , can anyone help, what's the best way to cook deep fried chilli beef & ideas for the best sauce ??

Hello Toddr!
I posted a homemade fun Deep Fried Chilli Beef on the blog. Heres the link hmm/www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/viewtopic.php?pid=698309#p698309
(Please copy and paste yhe link to your browser and add the http as a newbie like me not allowed to post links..hehe Merlin please take note..i'm posting a link from Jamie's site not outside..)

Enjoy and have fun. Happy Food Revolution Day everyone!

Last edited by moeabdullah (Fri 17 May 13 6:53am)

Likes (0)

#1038 Fri 17 May 13 6:52am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

moeabdullah wrote:

Toddr wrote:

Hi

Hello Toddr!
I posted a homemade fun Deep Fried Chilli Beef on the blog. Heres the link hmm/www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/viewtopic.php?pid=698309#p698309
(Please add the http as a newbie like me not allowed to post links)

Enjoy and have fun. Happy Food Revolution Day everyone!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … ?id=80127.

Likes (0)

#1039 Fri 17 May 13 10:01am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

moeabdullah wrote:

Hi Jamie!
2 questions for the busy man.

2ndly, from where did you learn about Asian food? Saw you on the telly recently doing satay and peanut sauce. Not exactly authentic but your simplicity excites me to learn more.

Cheers and viva food revolution!

This question is an interesting one moeabdullah , I know that I have learned loads about Indian cooking from people who I used to work with and people who run the local Asian shops in Cardiff where I live , I'm very lucky as I live in a very multi-racial area and so I have lots of people who are happy to help.
It's more cooking methods and learning what goes together that I have been shown as most things are cooked without a recipe book , the recipes being handed down by word of mouth and as such slightly varying as to an actual recipe .
This is also of course as its to suit the availability of ingredients and the western palette .

Likes (0)

#1040 Fri 17 May 13 10:37am

Cooking Bart

Member since Fri 17 May 13

Hi!
Next sunday whe give a party to celebrate the birthday of our youngest. About 30 friends and family are coming. Then I like to cook myself for everybody. I saw a vieo on the internet to make cooked stirred eggs and I thought it would rock to present it in parts in a salade.
Both my wife and I tried to make it with several eggs but we couldn't make it.
Could you please hellp us? But I start to think it is a hoax and that it is impossible to do that with a egg........

I want to post the link to the video but I'm registered for less then a week and can't post links yet. Sow please ad Http tot the link.
www.vrouwen.nl/view/29352/Gekookt+Roerei

Thank you!!

Last edited by Cooking Bart (Fri 17 May 13 11:28am)

Likes (0)