From Stratford-upon-avon
Member since Thu 16 May 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi there everyone

I would just like some feedback on a dessert idea big_smile
  Plum tarte tatin , raspberry jelly and gooseberry sorbet

many thanks
    shane  big_smile

Last edited by Shane-lee (Fri 17 May 13 1:35am)

Likes (0)

#1022 Thu 16 May 13 7:56pm

Toddr

Member since Tue 14 May 13

Hi

I'm very new to this but , can anyone help, what's the best way to cook deep fried chilli beef & ideas for the best sauce ??

I have it every time I eat out at a Chinese, but its very hit and miss.

It would be fun to try at home  smile

Likes (0)

#1023 Thu 16 May 13 9:12pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

moeabdullah wrote:

Greetings Redfox of Estonia!
A trick i normally use to avoid having cream or milk turning into lumpy icesicles is to put the cream in a container or plastic bag then submerge it in water in a bigger container or bowl.  This buys you at least one day when the freezer only attacks the water but not the cream. Once the water starts to freeze, replace it and continue the process until you get a nice icecream.

As for egg-based or cream based, i would personally go cream based with milk. Good luck and all the best! Would love to hear Jamie's comments though. wink

thank you, that sounds like a good plan to try!

Likes (0)

#1024 Fri 17 May 13 6:48am

moeabdullah

From Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Member since Wed 15 May 13

Toddr wrote:

Hi

I'm very new to this but , can anyone help, what's the best way to cook deep fried chilli beef & ideas for the best sauce ??

Hello Toddr!
I posted a homemade fun Deep Fried Chilli Beef on the blog. Heres the link hmm/www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/viewtopic.php?pid=698309#p698309
(Please copy and paste yhe link to your browser and add the http as a newbie like me not allowed to post links..hehe Merlin please take note..i'm posting a link from Jamie's site not outside..)

Enjoy and have fun. Happy Food Revolution Day everyone!

Last edited by moeabdullah (Fri 17 May 13 6:53am)

Likes (0)

#1025 Fri 17 May 13 6:52am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

moeabdullah wrote:

Toddr wrote:

Hi

Hello Toddr!
I posted a homemade fun Deep Fried Chilli Beef on the blog. Heres the link hmm/www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/viewtopic.php?pid=698309#p698309
(Please add the http as a newbie like me not allowed to post links)

Enjoy and have fun. Happy Food Revolution Day everyone!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … ?id=80127.

Likes (0)

#1026 Fri 17 May 13 10:01am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

moeabdullah wrote:

Hi Jamie!
2 questions for the busy man.

2ndly, from where did you learn about Asian food? Saw you on the telly recently doing satay and peanut sauce. Not exactly authentic but your simplicity excites me to learn more.

Cheers and viva food revolution!

This question is an interesting one moeabdullah , I know that I have learned loads about Indian cooking from people who I used to work with and people who run the local Asian shops in Cardiff where I live , I'm very lucky as I live in a very multi-racial area and so I have lots of people who are happy to help.
It's more cooking methods and learning what goes together that I have been shown as most things are cooked without a recipe book , the recipes being handed down by word of mouth and as such slightly varying as to an actual recipe .
This is also of course as its to suit the availability of ingredients and the western palette .

Likes (0)

#1027 Fri 17 May 13 10:37am

Cooking Bart

Member since Fri 17 May 13

Hi!
Next sunday whe give a party to celebrate the birthday of our youngest. About 30 friends and family are coming. Then I like to cook myself for everybody. I saw a vieo on the internet to make cooked stirred eggs and I thought it would rock to present it in parts in a salade.
Both my wife and I tried to make it with several eggs but we couldn't make it.
Could you please hellp us? But I start to think it is a hoax and that it is impossible to do that with a egg........

I want to post the link to the video but I'm registered for less then a week and can't post links yet. Sow please ad Http tot the link.
www.vrouwen.nl/view/29352/Gekookt+Roerei

Thank you!!

Last edited by Cooking Bart (Fri 17 May 13 11:28am)

Likes (0)

#1028 Fri 17 May 13 11:54am

Remcoltd

Member since Thu 25 Oct 12

Jamie,

If you want to meet a really fantastic young chef then please book a table at Martins Pond in Potten End Hertfordshire and meet Andrew Mayersbeth the youngest head chef in Beds, Herts and Bucks.

Check him out on facebook and martinspond.com

PS. Take your family and I will gladly pay for your meal and drinks

Regards,

Robert smile

Likes (0)

#1029 Fri 17 May 13 4:10pm

garrei

Member since Fri 17 May 13

New member so go easy on me please in case this has already been asked...........i'm only looking for miracles!
We are a spar/texaco forecourt in N.Ireland which sold the traditional irish stew, sausage roll, curries etc for years out of a henny penny serve over and it worked while the builders were buying but they have now mainly disappeared due to the bad recession here.............count your lucky stars your biz is not here you mainlanders! So we are building a new shop soon and need help in coming up with a new menu which is cost effective and to be eaten on the run so to speak........we are a normal area with "normal" tastes so nothing too wild.....we're in a country area. The wholesalers are brain dead as they just want you to buy something from a book as are the equipment providers.......i think this lack of help is the main reason the big brands are cleaning up in the food to go market.
Ideally it could either be made VERY fast or reheated as our customers will definitely NOT WAIT. I really want to get rid of the serve over as many foods will not keep in it for long which becomes an issue when turnover slows and it always looks great at the start of service and crap at the middle end when things start selling. All our peers have also struggled over the years trying to get a solution for the evening trade and most have failed......anyway, the build is starting in June and hopefully we will be up and running by April next year.........so bright young/old things ..................show me your stuff.....and there are opportunities here for someone who can make a difference
thanks
gary help  help  help  help

Likes (0)

#1030 Fri 17 May 13 4:33pm

moeabdullah

From Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Member since Wed 15 May 13

Dear Mummza,

Cheers for the link post. Next week i surely go crazy posting links.
I had the pleasure of visiting Cardiff some years back. As you said, it is very multi cultured and the food is very diversed. I do agree when you said most of the cooking are done without cookbooks and are handed from one generation to the next. I inherited certain traditional recipes from my aunt and she got it from her mum (my nanna) and my nanna got it from her nanna. It goes back 5 generations and i am probably the last of my fastfood eating generation to have the knowledge and skills. I certainly will pass it to my children or if not my grandkids God willing.

Again thanks for sharing. You made me feel welcomed and at home in this wonderful forum.

Cheers
Moe

Likes (0)