forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1041 Fri 17 May 13 11:54am

Remcoltd

Member since Thu 25 Oct 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Jamie,

If you want to meet a really fantastic young chef then please book a table at Martins Pond in Potten End Hertfordshire and meet Andrew Mayersbeth the youngest head chef in Beds, Herts and Bucks.

Check him out on facebook and martinspond.com

PS. Take your family and I will gladly pay for your meal and drinks

Regards,

Robert smile

Likes (0)

#1042 Fri 17 May 13 4:10pm

garrei

Member since Fri 17 May 13

New member so go easy on me please in case this has already been asked...........i'm only looking for miracles!
We are a spar/texaco forecourt in N.Ireland which sold the traditional irish stew, sausage roll, curries etc for years out of a henny penny serve over and it worked while the builders were buying but they have now mainly disappeared due to the bad recession here.............count your lucky stars your biz is not here you mainlanders! So we are building a new shop soon and need help in coming up with a new menu which is cost effective and to be eaten on the run so to speak........we are a normal area with "normal" tastes so nothing too wild.....we're in a country area. The wholesalers are brain dead as they just want you to buy something from a book as are the equipment providers.......i think this lack of help is the main reason the big brands are cleaning up in the food to go market.
Ideally it could either be made VERY fast or reheated as our customers will definitely NOT WAIT. I really want to get rid of the serve over as many foods will not keep in it for long which becomes an issue when turnover slows and it always looks great at the start of service and crap at the middle end when things start selling. All our peers have also struggled over the years trying to get a solution for the evening trade and most have failed......anyway, the build is starting in June and hopefully we will be up and running by April next year.........so bright young/old things ..................show me your stuff.....and there are opportunities here for someone who can make a difference
thanks
gary help  help  help  help

Likes (0)

#1043 Fri 17 May 13 4:33pm

moeabdullah

From Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Member since Wed 15 May 13

Dear Mummza,

Cheers for the link post. Next week i surely go crazy posting links.
I had the pleasure of visiting Cardiff some years back. As you said, it is very multi cultured and the food is very diversed. I do agree when you said most of the cooking are done without cookbooks and are handed from one generation to the next. I inherited certain traditional recipes from my aunt and she got it from her mum (my nanna) and my nanna got it from her nanna. It goes back 5 generations and i am probably the last of my fastfood eating generation to have the knowledge and skills. I certainly will pass it to my children or if not my grandkids God willing.

Again thanks for sharing. You made me feel welcomed and at home in this wonderful forum.

Cheers
Moe

Likes (0)

#1044 Sat 18 May 13 7:21am

janikki

Member since Thu 20 Dec 12

I would like to share a wonderful recipe with you but it keeps dropping out.
I am Vikki Morris from sunshine coast QLD Aust. The recipe is from Hanunam Restaurant Darwin. You can get the recipe on there website I have never had oysters so beautiful, I have also cooked scallops the same way..
Vikki

Likes (0)

#1045 Tue 21 May 13 6:05pm

Jamie's Food Team

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

judith74 wrote:

Hi there,
a lot of your recipes call for meat to be cooked on high heat whilst coated in paprika.
I am originally from Hungary and we use a lot of paprika in our cooking. My mum has always told me not to leave paprika on the heat for any considerable time as it burns easily and ends up tasting bitter. In fact she always takes the pan off while adding paprika to a dish, lets it dissolve in the hot fat - which is the only substance paprika dissolves in - then lets up with liquid and only then puts it back on the heat. I, myself once coated fish in paprika then fried it in a little oil, by the time it was cooked indeed it tasted bitter and burnt. Totally ruined the fish. This has so far made me avoid all of your dishes that has meat seasoned and cooked in this fashion.
Any tips or thoughts on the subject would be welcome.
Thanks  x

Thanks for the tip, that’s very interesting. Next time I’m cooking with paprika I’ll bear your suggestion in mind and see if I notice a difference!

Likes (0)

#1046 Tue 21 May 13 6:07pm

Jamie's Food Team

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

suzieg11 wrote:

hi there can you use single cream and creme fraiche together when making a curry

Be careful when using single cream in cooking as it will split if you heat it too high. Creme fraiche is also quite a rich tasting ingredient and might be a little too tangy for a curry. I would recommend you use yoghurt instead.

Likes (0)

#1047 Wed 22 May 13 2:21am

CAYJAY

Member since Wed 22 May 13

Hi Jamie,

Do you have a favourite quiche recipe? I know its a bit retro but I used to love my Mum's quiche and I have her recipe (good old Margie Fulton!) which the whole family loves but I was hoping you night have one with a Jamie twist.

love cool

Likes (0)

#1048 Thu 23 May 13 10:58am

Kjcef

Member since Thu 23 May 13

Hi Jamie, could you write a cookery book that has recipes for both parents and fussy eating children, in the one meal so I don't have to cook two meals every night. I love your recipes and use your books all the time especially your Jamie at home book. Thank you Kim x

Likes (0)

#1049 Thu 23 May 13 11:13am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Kjcef wrote:

Hi Jamie, could you write a cookery book that has recipes for both parents and fussy eating children, in the one meal so I don't have to cook two meals every night. I love your recipes and use your books all the time especially your Jamie at home book. Thank you Kim x

Welcome to the forum Kjcef  smile

The problem with children who are fussy eaters is that they all like different things !
Don't worry about it , it's a bit of a nuisance for a while but there aren't that many adults who are still fussy eaters !

None of my children were 'fussy eaters' .. Well I thought one was a bit fussy until their friends came round to eat then I realised that my fussy eater was not fussy at all !!!

It may help to evolve your child in the cooking , if there are things that he/she dislikes then separate a portion off to continue cooking separately and add other ingredients to the main part.

Another thing you could do is to allow your child to serve itself , so put dishes in the middle of the table and all serve their own food.

What is important is to not allow food to become an issue as once it is it often remains so ,it is also a way that a child gets attention from a parent .

Hope I have been a bit of help.

Likes (0)

#1050 Thu 23 May 13 3:28pm

mbrokof

From Germany
Member since Sat 18 Mar 06

Jamie,

I think you are always up to natural and good Food. What about milk? I received an email about 'The Mooman'. The Need some 20k quit to release the film on UK cinemas. You and others could support it here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/143 … d-75390137

I drink the milk for over a year and my wife with lactose intolerance has no problems in digesting it. I think it's of excellent quality .

Best Regards
Matthias smile

Likes (0)