#1 Wed 19 Jun 13 6:57pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Weber bbq

Hi guys,

Recently one of my students who used to live in South Africa told me about Weber bbq's. She said it makes amazing recipes and that not only grills but also bakes. She gave me a recipe book with lots of stuff, desserts included!

I confess my ignorance on the subject, do you guys know this, whats your opinion? Is it something you'd advise me to buy? And if so, would you go for electric, gas or charcoal?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 20 Jun 13 1:53am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Weber bbq

Weber's have been going here for at least 25 years. They're very common. My dad still has a Weber kettle BBQ from about that time. It was charcoal but he got the gas conversion kit a few years back. Our Christmas turkey always gets done in it. He's a big BBQer and has had numerous other flat plate bbqs but also got a Weber Q a couple of years ago. Apart for the stupidly weak fold out tong rests it's quite good. They are the higher end of the market. That's gas too because he has a gas line installed in bbq area.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 20 Jun 13 7:03am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

We can also get webber BBQs here in the uk , they are pretty expensive .
Some are quite large and elaborate with gas rings at the side , others far simpler.

I don't have I one and with the weather we have had over the past few years I'm just about to get rid of my old gas BBQ and just use my little coal pot from now on!
The gas BBQ last got used at Christmas when we dragged it out of the shed to blacked the sweet red peppers ready for them to be skinned and turned into soup for Christmas dinner !
It was raining and the BBQ was put right by the back door so we could keep dry .
Since then , on days when the weather isn't too bad I've used my little Coalpot which is great for just a few of us.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 20 Jun 13 10:24am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Very popular in South Africa but as far as I know we only get the charcoal ones and they also come in different sizes.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 20 Jun 13 1:55pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We have a Weber charcoal grill.  It's great for adding smoke flavor and you certainly can have a hot side and a cool side if you want with the size we have, by adding bricks or something to divide the coals.

We've never been able to achieve the same flavor on a gas grill by adding wood chips for smoke.  It'd be great to have one though for general cooking to keep the heat and mess out of the house.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 20 Jun 13 2:41pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

We have a Weber kettle charcoal grill.  They're not that expensive here but we wouldn't use anything else.  It grills, it smokes, it bakes, it's amazing.

If you are truly interested in the wonders of bbq you have to get yourself some Steve Raichlen books.  He is the master and following his recipes has turned my husband from a novice to a master!

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 20 Jun 13 3:30pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Wasn't there a "Weber" centric post about this time last year?

Bottom line is whatever is in that Weber cookbook will work on any bbq (assuming you have non-Weber gadgets required (if required) by the particular recipe).

Blah.... blah....blah.....I have a Weber Kettle... I bought a Weber Kettle for my bother in law....I also bought the Weber Charcoal Lighting Chimney, tool holder and covers for both....last summer I installed a Weber natural gas grill for my sister.... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Genesi … cL_KthYX6M
...I use the Weber charcoal briquettes...and I like the Weber FireStarters Lighter Cubes but don't find i need them.. paper works fine....just mailed my sis the rotisserie link http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cook/1278

whistle

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 20 Jun 13 4:18pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Thank you all for your feedback. big_smile

My student describe it as something out of this world, so I really wanted to check.
I already have a bbq, its not a device, its an actual bbq made of bricks, on a wall. I'm thinking of investing soon in a wood oven.
So, one last question: with the bbq I already have, plus the wood oven, is it still worth it to buy this weber thing?

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 20 Jun 13 5:37pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

If I was installing a wood oven and I already had a brick BBQ , I would not buy anything else .

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 21 Jun 13 4:11am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I'd almost call the Weber kettle BBQ the wood fired oven when you don't have a wood fired oven. So I'd not bother.

Likes (0)