forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 06 Jul 13 1:51pm

marlow77

Member since Thu 03 Nov 11

Hot wings

I've been trying to replicate Domino's hot wings and am wondering a few things. First off the only wings I found in tesco were "every day" low quality. but just thought can there really be an difference between one wing and another? Anyway there seemed to be a decent amount of meat on them.

Secondly, how is it domino's have them done in 10 minutes when chicken takes 40 minutes to cook???

I think I've got the sauce pretty close, I found a site online which claims to know the exact recipe. Frank's hot sauce, butter, garlic powder, cayenne pepper. I put a fair sprinkling of added cayenne in yet it still didn't seem to have as mich kick as the real thing. Wondering if chili powder would be better.

Yh just wondering how they cook them in 10mins really..?

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 06 Jul 13 2:25pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Hot wings

Is this a real question?  You want to know how a fast food chain restaurant does hot wings?  That's easy - they're precooked and then slathered in bottled sauce.  There's no way that you can replicate the sauce they have because you do not have at your disposal the amount of preservatives and chemicals they put in it.  You will just have to make do with fresh ingredients I'm sorry to say lol.

Dominoes attempts to make "Buffalo style chicken wings."  There will be all kinds of recipes on the internet for this.  Mainly you deep fry the chicken wings without batter, perhaps with a very light dusting of flour, most authentic buffalo style will not have even that.  Wings can be deep fried within 10min.

There's no good way to replicate fast food or chain food, the chemical process they use to invent their food is all science-based.  I would strongly advise to wean yourself from highly processed foods like this - they're not good for you as they are packed with additives and salt and sugars.  They also change your palate to crave more sugar and salt, and steer you away from fresh natural food.  I don't mean to be critical to anyone but I fell prey to convenience foods a long time ago and the road back to fresh food is tricky.

Likes (1)

#3 Sat 06 Jul 13 6:13pm

marlow77

Member since Thu 03 Nov 11

There's nothing wrong with doing them at home minus the "chemicals" obviously. And dominos dont fry the wings, they're oven baked. So you're saying they're pre cooked then reheated??????????

Also my query about the sauce was about the spice, preservatives and what not have nothing to do with that. But besides which Frank's hot sauce has no additives at all in the ingredients so wouldn't it be illegal not to advertise the preservatives if it had any?

Last edited by marlow77 (Sat 06 Jul 13 6:17pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 06 Jul 13 7:09pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

They state their chicken is marinated, baked, then rolled in a spicy sauce.

Even poached or boiled chicken with the skin on can be put under the broiler to crisp the skin, which is, I am sure, how they achieve this in 10 minutes.

You could make a spicy dry rub and then, if you feel the Frank's sauce doesn't have enough kick, you might blend it with a hotter sauce that has a similar 'flavor' profile.  Many chili sauces are all-heat, which might work in this case.

They're very good cooked on the bbq with wood chips add for smoke . . . I've also seen wings marinated in buttermilk/spices and tandoori chicken uses a yogurt marinade .  .  . not sure if this would give you the desired results, but can't be bad to try it many ways.

Happy Cooking!

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 06 Jul 13 9:04pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

MsPablo wrote:

They state their chicken is marinated, baked, then rolled in a spicy sauce.

Even poached or boiled chicken with the skin on can be put under the broiler to crisp the skin, which is, I am sure, how they achieve this in 10 minutes.

You could make a spicy dry rub and then, if you feel the Frank's sauce doesn't have enough kick, you might blend it with a hotter sauce that has a similar 'flavor' profile.  Many chili sauces are all-heat, which might work in this case.

They're very good cooked on the bbq with wood chips add for smoke . . . I've also seen wings marinated in buttermilk/spices and tandoori chicken uses a yogurt marinade .  .  . not sure if this would give you the desired results, but can't be bad to try it many ways.

Happy Cooking!

I'm with Koukavia (SP?) on this,,,anything that can be cooked in under 10 minutes from scratch is going to be  puke

prep alone would take at least half an hour...

One final thing...Chicken wings...I only use them for stock.......

why wouldou want to eat them????

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 07 Jul 13 1:00am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Most of the chicken wing or ribs side dishes pizza places sell are premade and reheated. Even the little non-franchised joint I used to work in could easily do that. There are companies that sell the precooked meats frozen and ready to reheat.

A bit of preservatives occasionally isn't going to hurt anyone. The fat and sugar content on the other hand...

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 07 Jul 13 1:44am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

The question from the OP, as I understood it, was how to achieve a good spicy chicken wing that is similar to the Domino's recipe.  Without knowing anything about their recipe, I tried to give some advice.  I never stated the wings are made from prep to finish in 10 minutes.

I truly am not a wing person and use them for stock only myself.  But, recognizing that other people love them.  edit to add:  I really do love them on a baked chicken, so I take that back.  I just never think to cook a batch of just wings, but it's one of my favorite pieces of chicken.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sun 07 Jul 13 3:38pm)

Likes (1)

#8 Sun 07 Jul 13 6:09am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

There used to be a website back about 15 years ago that did secret recipes. Probably called top secret recipes. Not sure if it's still around though, may have disappeared in the commercialization of the internet.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 07 Jul 13 9:08am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

wow.. what is with all the aggresive negativity??    not you P-lo wink

Basic buffalo wing sauce has always just been, 50/50 hot sauce to melted butter. Extra seasonings if you want .

First off chicken doesn't have a magic cook time of 40 mins.   style of cooking( Heat transfer rate) eg. deep frying, pizza oven which has a great thermal mass and transfer rate and runs hotter than a residential oven, size of piece, boneless or bone-in  all have something to do with the actual time needed.  The only true indicator is actually using a thermo to test the temperature of the meat.

With a proper setup and undersized wings it could be possible to cook them fully in about 15 to 18 mins from fresh without deep frying , but I agree with other posters that Dominoes most likely uses precooked and frozen wings. The in store heating is only to bring them up to serving temp not to cook them.   They don't use deep fryers as far as I know.

As to the marinade I am thinking it is more likely a flavoured brine application.   To that end you can use the brine to infuse more hot flavour into the wings.  Build a brine simmering the water sugar and salt with hot chiles in it. let it steep and then ice to cool and soak the wings in the brine for anywhere from 12 to 48 hrs.

My personal favourite is just to put a good dry rub on decent size wings and slow smoke them with some maple wood.

saucing them is optional  .

Last edited by Ashen (Sun 07 Jul 13 9:09am)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (2)

#10 Sun 07 Jul 13 9:18am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Can I come over for dinner ashen?

Likes (0)