forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 11 Jun 13 4:12pm

gemkstar

Member since Tue 11 Jun 13

Beef cuts, will this be ok?

Hiya,

I have a Silverside rosting joint in the freezer and I  want to cook the recipe on the link below, which calls for Beef Brisket.  Will the beef cut I have work?

www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/recipes-vi … t-chilli-1

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 12 Jun 13 9:29am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Beef cuts, will this be ok?

side by side with the same dish made from a brisket the results would be noticeably different.   That being said, silverside  is well suited to a long slow braise and should pull apart quite nicely and the spicing will  keep it to a similar flavour profile.  It will be its own thing but still quite nice.

Last edited by Ashen (Wed 12 Jun 13 9:30am)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#3 Wed 19 Jun 13 9:31am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I've never cooked silverside. I know it's a lot leaner than brisket so will cook differently.

If I was you I'd check the meat earlier than it says for brisket - it may arrive at a point where it slices nicely and that might be better than pulling it, because of the lack of fat.

But this is just my instinct.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 09 Jul 13 5:20pm

Jamie's Food Team

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

Hi, the results will be slightly different as it is a different cut of meat, however silverside does lend itself to long and slow cooking and will fall apart after 4 1/2 hours cooking so definitely give it a try. That's what cooking is all about. Have fun and I hope the results are delicious.

Likes (0)