forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 15 Jul 13 7:37pm

tap1

Member since Mon 15 Jul 13

Tasteless Figs

I want to try a salad with fresh figs and prosciutto. I've tried the figs as they are, roasted with agave nectar and roasted with balsamic glaze. All were fairly tasteless, the ones with balsamic glaze the best of the bunch but a bit watery and mushy when roasted and even after a bit of grilling. Any advice welcome.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 16 Jul 13 12:12am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Tasteless Figs

I use Jamie's recipe and the figs are raw and absolutely delicious.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/frui … -the-world

We had a dish in Amsterdam that was great - figs stuffed with cheese, served with a wild berry sauce that was outstanding.  We never saw it on the menu after that on many trips back to Casa di David.  I regret to this day not asking how that dish was made.  We're both pretty sure though that the fig wasn't really 'cooked' but served with a warm sauce and the cheese.

The beauty of the dish was that each element was minimally processed - berries, cheese, figs - all fresh and natural and of the finest quality, very little else added - perfect.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 16 Jul 13 4:56am)

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 16 Jul 13 2:33pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Where do you live?  Figs are the type of fruit that doesn't travel well and must must must be in season to taste good.  In southern Europe they come around at the beginning of August.  Here in the northeast US they don't come around until late September.

A tasteless fig is an abomination.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 16 Jul 13 2:53pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Just noticed two huge fig trees one block from our home that are loaded with unripe figs.  They did well this year as we had a mild winter.  Our climate is a bit cold for them usually.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 16 Jul 13 3:15pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

we are eating the first ones from a black figs plant, they are called "fioroni" and are of an incredible large size but not at all black and tasteless, if you leave them on the plant the ants start eating them, the ones ripening after these are much sweeter and tasty ........... and dark black when ready to be cropped

Likes (2)

#6 Tue 16 Jul 13 3:40pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Some interesting things about figs:
http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/08/27/ … -right-now

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/0 … usual-figs

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 16 Jul 13 3:42pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 16 Jul 13 10:35pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Use tasteless figs to make jam

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 17 Jul 13 4:28am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

The White Rabbit wrote:

Use tasteless figs to make jam

Or in this ... a family favourite for many years:

Gabriel's Fig and Pear Cake:
http://www.basic-recipes.com/xms/f/recipe010.htm

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#9 Wed 17 Jul 13 3:48pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

koukouvagia wrote:

Where do you live?  Figs are the type of fruit that doesn't travel well and must must must be in season to taste good.  In southern Europe they come around at the beginning of August.  Here in the northeast US they don't come around until late September.

A tasteless fig is an abomination.

I agree, tasteless figs are awful.
The sweetness on the fig will depend on the climate conditions of that year.
I also agree that figs dont travel well.
Just one thing, in Portugal - and I assume in other mediterranean countries as well - we have two types of figs. One is know as "St. John's figs" cause they come around the time where there's a feast in honour of that saint which is in the end of June. They're sort of purple and very good. I have had quite a few already and they were delicious.
The other type are the green ones. I have a fig tree of those and those will come in late August, early September. I'm hoping to have a nice sweet crop this year, as last year they were pretty average.

mmm figs dribble

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 18 Jul 13 2:29am

kate124

Member since Tue 16 Jul 13

I absolutely agree that raw figs are more delicious to be tried in a salad than the ripped ones. I really hate the taste of ripped juicy figs which is bad like anything else.
boston to niagara falls tours
shortest international bridge

Last edited by kate124 (Sat 27 Jul 13 7:24am)

Likes (0)